Quantcast

Can I put more shims in my '10 Boxxer's Mission Control?

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
Hi one more time.

Today I disassembled the Mission Control because i don't have enough HSC nor LSC.

I discovered that the thing works perfectly, but I have to fully close the HSC in order to get some LSC resistance, because the HSC shims are offering less resistance than the LSC bolt, so the oil pass throug the HSC shims easily when the LSC bolt offers some resistance.

Can I add more HSC shims? If not, can I change them for thicker shims? Where can I buy shims in Europe?

Thanks.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yes to all. You can add more shims or replace them with thicker shims, the replacement option will generate heavier damping but both options work fine in this case. I usually recommend duplicating every shim in that damper as a starting point, otherwise as you say you have to run the HS fully closed to get any significant compression resistance.

The shims used are the common 8mm ID, so they are shared with many other dampers (Manitou, BOS, other RS products, etc) and are possibly available from a good motorcycle shop.

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
wouldn't it be easier to just use 10wt oil instead of the 5wt?
I think that wouldn't work, the problem here is that the HSC shims are offering less resistance than the LSC bolt, even if I put 10wt oil it would flow through the shims instead of the LSC bolt.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
10wt or 5wt doesn't really mean anything, you need to refer to the oils viscosity in centistokes, but that's a whole other discussion