Quantcast

Calling all drummers!!!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I saw Marco Minnimann last night. Did a clinic here. Granted I'm a percussionist and not a kit drummer but I really learned a lot anyway.

The dude is amazing, doing insanely complex and fast odd meter patterns on each limb totally independant of each other. Another percussionist friend of mine got him talking about how he has worked on all his odd meter independance and it was totally mind boggling the steps he went through. Probably about 7 levels of independance, and he can do all things with both sides of his body equally well.

Just as an example... he was doing 9/16 with his left foot over 4 pedals (2nd bass drum, main hi hat, mini snare, mini hi hat), and 7/16 with his right foot over 2 pedals (2nd smaller hi hat and main bass drum), and on top of that he would improvise 4/4 with his hands, much of the time keeping the hi hats open, striking them, and then closing them with his heels while powering a really trippy double bass thing with the 7/16-9/16 combo.

As for his set... 6 crash, 1 ice bell, 2 ride, and each crash had a bell on top of it. He had 2 snares, 4 toms, 1 floor tom, 1 gong tom, on the ground he had 3 hi hats, 1 bass drum with double bass (1 beater per foot), and another snare.

He was also demonstrating simple rudiments like paradiddles... he would do them really fast and then be like then you have to work on this... then he would continue to do the rudiment with only 1 frikkin hand at the same pace across 4 toms. Anyway, the guy... is an alien!

There's so much I could write about, but this is a bike forum so I'll leave it at that. I won some schwag, that was nifty. :)

J

JRB

My friend at my old job was a drummer. I got a catolog from him and the drums were cool. I had no idea. I forgot what they call any of them now.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
golgiaparatus said:
I saw Marco Minnimann last night. Did a clinic here. Granted I'm a percussionist and not a kit drummer but I really learned a lot anyway.

The dude is amazing, doing insanely complex and fast odd meter patterns on each limb totally independant of each other. Another percussionist friend of mine got him talking about how he has worked on all his odd meter independance and it was totally mind boggling the steps he went through. Probably about 7 levels of independance, and he can do all things with both sides of his body equally well.

Just as an example... he was doing 9/16 with his left foot over 4 pedals (2nd bass drum, main hi hat, mini snare, mini hi hat), and 7/16 with his right foot over 2 pedals (2nd smaller hi hat and main bass drum), and on top of that he would improvise 4/4 with his hands, much of the time keeping the hi hats open, striking them, and then closing them with his heels while powering a really trippy double bass thing with the 7/16-9/16 combo.

As for his set... 6 crash, 1 ice bell, 2 ride, and each crash had a bell on top of it. He had 2 snares, 4 toms, 1 floor tom, 1 gong tom, on the ground he had 3 hi hats, 1 bass drum with double bass (1 beater per foot), and another snare.

He was also demonstrating simple rudiments like paradiddles... he would do them really fast and then be like then you have to work on this... then he would continue to do the rudiment with only 1 frikkin hand at the same pace across 4 toms. Anyway, the guy... is an alien!

There's so much I could write about, but this is a bike forum so I'll leave it at that. I won some schwag, that was nifty. :)

You just spoke Chinese to 99.9 percent of Ridemonkey........

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
golgiaparatus said:

Marco...sounds familiar. Is he a soloist, or does he play in a band also?

Still trying to figure out why he had 3 hi-hats. I have had before, and it was pretty much overkill for everything except speed metal. Can't imagine 3!

How did the bass sound?

I find it hard to get the timing exactly right for some reason, so I stick with 2 drums. But I would like a double pedal if I could get used to it.

Actually, now that i'm thinking about it, I don't think it was the pedal, but the head not rebounding fast enough...or something like that.

I don't have a kit right now, but I have been looking lately.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Greyhound said:
You just spoke Chinese to 99.9 percent of Ridemonkey........
But I said calling all drummers. Thats about .2%

Basically in lamans terms, here is what he was doing. Simultaniously(sp) take your left arm and bang on something in a steady rhythm in counts of 9 (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.... etc etc), stomp the exact same pattern with your foot. Now as your doing that take your right foot and stomp out a steady rhythm in counts of 7 (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, etc) The trick here is to have both the 9 count and the 7 count start back on the "1" at the same time. So yeah, thats pretty hard. NOW, as this is going on do your hands in counts of 4, but making sure the count of 4 is timed just right so it rotates back to 1 at the same time as the 7 pattern and the 9 pattern.

Now after you get this down, then improvise and solo independantly with each limb and make it sound like a really cool drum pattern at high speed... this is what Marco was doing in very simple terms.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Jesus said:
Marco...sounds familiar. Is he a soloist, or does he play in a band also?

Still trying to figure out why he had 3 hi-hats. I have had before, and it was pretty much overkill for everything except speed metal. Can't imagine 3!

How did the bass sound?

I find it hard to get the timing exactly right for some reason, so I stick with 2 drums. But I would like a double pedal if I could get used to it.

Actually, now that i'm thinking about it, I don't think it was the pedal, but the head not rebounding fast enough...or something like that.

I don't have a kit right now, but I have been looking lately.
http://www.drumbuys.com/cl_mrcoPx2.html

Dude, it was perfect. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Many people consider him to be the baddest drummer on earth. Personally I think what I saw last night was totally amazing and I have a ton of respect for what he does, but I like drummers with a little more soul like Gadd or Martin and I would probably never choose to pick up one of this guys CDs for anything more than the "holy sh!t factor". Granted this guy is more comparable to someone like Terry Bozzio.

To answer your question, he's a solo dude that plays with many different bands, look him up if you want to know more.

BTW, he wouldnt just have all his hi hats going at once... he was using 2 of them like small symbols that he could mute with his foot by closing them. The thing is he would hit the, close them, open them and hit them again so frikking fast while still maintaining a bass rhythm and a hihat rhythm with his regular hi hat while AT THE SAME TIME controlling a 2nd mini snare with his foot as well. Really it was too much to take in all at once... I was just watching in amazement and trying to pick up on what I could.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
This calls for a few jokes:

What do you call a percussionist with a beeper? An optimist!!!!! :D

How do you know if the stage is level? THe drool runs out BOTH sides of the drummers mouth. :D

How do you know if a drummer is at your door? The knocking speeds up......... :D

--------> Sorry, golgi.....you know I gots love for ya, just couldn't resist. I've been playing bass for many many years, so you know how much fun it is for bass players and drummers to f*ck with each other. :thumb:

Cajonezzz

Chimp
Mar 8, 2003
oceanside ca
I thought I was on the wrong forum for a sec.

i'm a drummer/perc engineer/producer. i've never seen Marco in person, but have seen some videos. Reminds me of the kinda work Bozzio put in to develop independence. It certainly is impressive just on a sheer pyrotechnical level.I'm not too impressed with the music I've heard him play on, not to detract from his chops tho.
I still get moved, on both levels, more by Vinnie Colaiuta than anyone else out there. It's amazing what the level of young players has risen to, I think a lot of that can be attributed to the instructional videos available to them.

what kind of playing do you do?

craig zarkos

Proxy Music
Creative Mobile

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Greyhound said:
This calls for a few jokes:

What do you call a percussionist with a beeper? An optimist!!!!! :D

How do you know if the stage is level? THe drool runs out BOTH sides of the drummers mouth. :D

How do you know if a drummer is at your door? The knocking speeds up......... :D

--------> Sorry, golgi.....you know I gots love for ya, just couldn't resist. I've been playing bass for many many years, so you know how much fun it is for bass players and drummers to f*ck with each other. :thumb:
Not insultingme at all... I like the knocking joke, its a frikkin riot. Besides, I'm not really a "drummer" per say... I would be labeled a "percussionist" my shizz is a little less mathmatical & more melodic.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Cajonezzz said:
It certainly is impressive just on a sheer pyrotechnical level.I'm not too impressed with the music I've heard him play on, not to detract from his chops tho.
Exactly, technically he is a badass freak of nature, but his music leaves something to be desired. I feel this way about a lot of drummers that come out of the hard rock genre... I'll take the feel and the touch of a top notch jazz or funk drummer over a freak like Bozzio or Marco any day. Still its just so amazing to watch them do their thing.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Does he have any videos out? I'm a drummer and I've heard about this guy but never heard or seen any of his drumming.

BTW - Chad Smith, Danny Carey, Tim Alexander, Stephen Perkins, and Philip Fishburne all OWN!!!

drago52

Chimp
Aug 21, 2004
Eagle-Vail, CO
Yeah, I've heard Marco is pretty sweet. It's rare that the drummers play alone, but when they do, it's pretty awesome. I've been a drummer for 12 years now. Good to know some other drummers are out there!

-Ryan

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
I could never really get into drummers who drum for the sake of drumming. Bozzio, etc. They skill and dedication it takes to get to that level is admirable, but I find it gets boring pretty quick.

Kind of like Joe Satrianni. (sp?) Riffing and noodling and soloing for the sake of soloing. "Oooh, that's fast, I can't do that..." Yawn.

I guess I'm more of a "play what the song requires" kind of drummer.

Q: Did you hear about the drummer that locked his keys in his car?

A: It took him a half an hour to get the bass player out.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Ok, I can't help it:

Why do bands need Roadies?
To translate what the drummer says.

Q: How many drummers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Just one, so long as a roadie gets the ladder, sets it up and puts the bulb in the socket for him.

Hey, did you hear about the drummer who finished high school?
Me either.

Q: What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?
A: A drummer.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
damn that sounds f'in nuts what that guy was doin!
I started doin percussion in 4th grade up until high school, and played set for a few years so i know exactly what youre talking about. I wish i never had to sell my set back in the day. even though it wasnt that great i loved just coming home, opening up the windows in my room and annoying the neighbors for a few hrs :devil:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm not really up on my knowledge of technical drummers, but joey baron (played w/ John Zorn's Masada) is by far the best drummer i've had the pleasure to see live.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
bomberz1qr20 said:
I could never really get into drummers who drum for the sake of drumming. Bozzio, etc. They skill and dedication it takes to get to that level is admirable, but I find it gets boring pretty quick.

Kind of like Joe Satrianni. (sp?) Riffing and noodling and soloing for the sake of soloing. "Oooh, that's fast, I can't do that..." Yawn.

I guess I'm more of a "play what the song requires" kind of drummer.

Q: Did you hear about the drummer that locked his keys in his car?

A: It took him a half an hour to get the bass player out.
Yeah, they are another kind of drumming all together. Its more, "WOW factor" than it is anything else, at least when they are playing thos massive super drummer kits. Bozzio did some great work with Zappa (with a more normal kit) though and I believe Marco also said he tours with a much smaller kit and I'm sure he plays very differently with a band.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
narlus said:
i'm not really up on my knowledge of technical drummers, but joey baron (played w/ John Zorn's Masada) is by far the best drummer i've had the pleasure to see live.
Look for him on some of Bill Frissel's albums. Great drummer. I think he did some of the more psycho Naked City stuff too.

2 buddies of mine everyone should witness live:

Brann Dailor - Mastodon (formerly w/ Today is the Day)

Kenneth Schalk - Candiria

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
okay...I have viewed this thread more than once and haven't posted anything....

so, I did understand what you had written (I am a music teacheR) and that's totally cool. I wish I had that kind of skills!!!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
JimmyTwoTimes said:
Does he have any videos out? I'm a drummer and I've heard about this guy but never heard or seen any of his drumming.

BTW - Chad Smith, Danny Carey, Tim Alexander, Stephen Perkins, and Philip Fishburne all OWN!!!
Dheck out drummerworld.com, they probably have vids, they have SO MANY vids... maybe vicfirth.com too.

Danny Carrey is studying with Aloki Dutta now, thats hard core.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I am sort of a musician, so it wasn't Chinese. But I agree with the notion that this sort of thing is great to watch but rarely has any practical application in a song. Sort of the same thing with guitarists. There are many incredibly skilled players, but few who can use those pyrotechnics in a song and make it seem musical. EVH is the only one who readily comes to mind...

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
IIRC, drumsticks are but a small part of the Vic Firth business... I guess he does a lot of wood-turning stuff?

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Being From Austin, Texas...Growing up in the music industry
& Living in The Live Music Capital of the world...
& also being a former Professional Drummer & Studio Musician...
I have been Playing drums for (Lets just say a Long Time) & I know Real Drummers: Here is my List, I bet some of you will agree.

Virgil Donati - http://www.virgildonati.com/

Simon Phillips - http://www.simon-phillips.com/

Steve Gadd - http://clapton.onecom.com/band/sgadd.htm

Vinny Paul - http://www.pearldrum.com/v_paul.asp

Danny Carey - http://www.toolband.com/identity/danny/main.html

Dave Lombardo - http://www.davelombardo.com/

Dave Weckl - http://www.daveweckl.com

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
bpatterson6 said:
Being From Austin, Texas...Growing up in the music industry
& Living in The Live Music Capital of the world...
& also being a former Professional Drummer & Studio Musician...
I have been Playing drums for (Lets just say a Long Time) & I know Real Drummers: Here is my List, I bet some of you will agree.

Virgil Donati - http://www.virgildonati.com/

Simon Phillips - http://www.simon-phillips.com/

Steve Gadd - http://clapton.onecom.com/band/sgadd.htm

Vinny Paul - http://www.pearldrum.com/v_paul.asp

Danny Carey - http://www.toolband.com/identity/danny/main.html

Dave Lombardo - http://www.davelombardo.com/

Dave Weckl - http://www.daveweckl.com

"Real Drummers" - heh.

The above list are all accomplished, and very proficient.
As for say, Vinnie Paul, he's a hard hitter, and he's fast, but to me he's just soul-less. I couldn't pull off half of what he does, but I wouldn't want to.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
bomberz1qr20 said:
BTW Lombardo owns us all.
No one OWNS anyone...Thats Ghey!

As for Lombardo...He kicks some serious azz and thank god he is back in the band!! Vinnie is just as good, or better IMO from a technical stand point. You dare say that Vinnie doesnt have any SOUL???
Man, From a technical stand point, his phrasing and his incredible ability to use the right fill at the right time, use completely different time signatures and take drumming to A NEW LEVEL...He is ALSO the man... We will just have to agree to disagree on that one.