Quantcast

Buying a used 2003 DHR

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I've been getting more and more into racing recently and I've decided its time for my 2003 big hit expert frame to go in favor of a more race worthy rig. I've been offered a 2003 Turner DHR in trade, but I have a few concerns.

First off is sizing. I'm 5' 10" and my big hit was a medium, I liked the fit alot, felt just about right. The DHR is a large. I've tried to compare the sizing based on the specs off the turner and specialized website, but i get the feeling like i'm comparing apples to oranges if ya know what i mean. I don't have a chance to ride a DHR, so I'm hoping some of you can give me some insight on the sizing.

My second concern is durability, I don't want to get stuck with a broken big $$$ frame. I heard the 2004 was beefed up, was there a big problem with 03's breaking? Is there anything in particular I should look for on a 2003 frame as a sign of failure to come? What happens as far as warranty if something breaks? I realize the warranty doesn't cover anyone but the first owner, but will I be able to get replacement parts at all? If so, at what cost? Right now I do drops up to 15' (to smoooooth tranny). I could see this increasing in the near future, is the DHR too fragile for this kind of riding?

Finally, my last concern is with setup. I currently run a 2004 8" 888r with stock crowns. The Big Hit was way raked out with this fork, but managable. How will the DHR fare? Does the 03' have a 1.5 ht, making it possible to use E13 zerostacks to reduce axle to crown? I'm not too enthusiastic about the prospect of blowing more $$$ on a set of Risse or Go-Ride crowns, so at least for now its the stock crowns for me.

There are alot of questions there, and I apologize in advance if some of them have already been covered in previous threads, but I figure at least some of them must be original.

Thanks for your help.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
...just remember that apparently you have to ask six hundred and fourty three questions about every conceivable thing that might be wrong with the frame, otherwise the blame is apparently with the buyer when things aren't properly described :p

On a more useful note, yes the 2003 DHR had a 1.5 headtube and can use the Evil/E.13 cups.. everything else can be found in the thread kidwoo pointed to.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Thanks for the link Kidwoo, I think I'm too scared too buy a DHR. Seems like they crack all over the place, and I would get stuck with a $1400 crash replacement fee. Also I'm convinced the large is too big. Damn.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Discostu said:
Thanks for the link Kidwoo, I think I'm too scared too buy a DHR. Seems like they crack all over the place, and I would get stuck with a $1400 crash replacement fee. Also I'm convinced the large is too big. Damn.

The '03's had some issues but IMO, the other years are pretty safe. I know a lot of '03's were breaking links and Turner was just replacing them with '04 links.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
one...the "03" link was a fluke. they ordered the link with a certain spec and were sent one that was thinner than the one they requested. Only a few dozen went out of that little "p re-production" link and all the rest of the 04 had the current link...not any sort of "04" link as referred above. the crack people referred to was due to people not keeping their main pivot bolts tight! if you are a good mechanic and kept them tight, they didn't crack. Problem was, most people didn't want to take the crank off to check it.

they sent out an upgrade that braced the whole area and used a single thru bolt instead of 2 separate sets of pinch bolts. If anybody has an 03 and wants this little kit, I have one left over from my '03 that I'll be happy to send you for the cost of shipping.

But I must inform you that if you are going from a medium Big Hit to a Large DHR, you can forget it.....that thing will be WAY too big for you. I wouldn't recommend the large for anyone under 6'0"! the wheelbase for '03 is the same as the '04...so you're talking 46.5" compared to something like 44.4" on the Big Hit? that and the bottom bracket is gonna be way high for someone at 5'10"

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
bizutch said:
the crack people referred to was due to people not keeping their main pivot bolts tight! if you are a good mechanic and kept them tight, they didn't crack. Problem was, most people didn't want to take the crank off to check it.
I should take a photo of the MOD i made to the e-13 guide. I ground at it so i coud get an allen in there to check that bolt (edit: through cranks). Worked real well. Didnt have to remove the cranks/guide ever, and it didnt weaken or otherwise effect the guide.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
bizutch said:
the crack people referred to was due to people not keeping their main pivot bolts tight! if you are a good mechanic and kept them tight, they didn't crack. Problem was, most people didn't want to take the crank off to check it.
Bullsh!t. They cracked because the areas surrounding a weld were too thin, creating a fragile heat affected zone. Look how far away from the weld the thin section is on the 04s.

I checked my bike after every weekend at northstar, removing the chainguide and checking the main pivot.

Stu: 03 is the ONLY year I'd stay away from. I got it straight from DTs mouth that he felt they underestimated the amount of material they needed around the main pivot....and this is fixed with the new bikes.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
thanks for the happy go lucky attitude Kidwoo. I'll be sure to treat you so kindly next time you make a positive statement...ass face. :thumb:

Our team must have just been all of the lucky ones...what with all 5 of us not breaking it. We must not have ridden ours hard enough... :rolleyes:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
bizutch said:
thanks for the happy go lucky attitude Kidwoo. I'll be sure to treat you so kindly next time you make a positive statement...ass face. :thumb:

Our team must have just been all of the lucky ones...what with all 5 of us not breaking it. We must not have ridden ours hard enough... :rolleyes:
Ass face? Sweet.

When I noticed the creaking around my bb area I took everything apart trying to track it down. Everyting was tight...including the pivot. The only new development since the last time I had done that about 2 weeks prior was a crack. If anything, the pivot bolt was too tight.....it was nowhere near loose. Sorry if you took exception to the fact that I am one case where your "lazy mechanic" theory didn't apply. Sorry if "bullsh!t" was taken as a personal attack. Maybe a little strong but it certainly wasn't name calling.

Just because you never noticed a crack in your sei bikes doesn't mean it happened to someone elses due to negligence. It has nothing to do with riding your bike hard. Chill out.