Quantcast

Building DH bike--need advice

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I'm building a DH mtn bike from scratch and would love advice on parts that I just have to have, or any good website resources other than mtbr. I know I'll be going with a Rotec frame and Fox 40 forks, but other than that am looking for tires, seatpost, shifters, derailleur, pedals, etc. Keep in mind that most of my riding will be done at Whistler, with some races in the mix. I'm only 120 # so light weight parts are ideal. Any ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks!!

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
all you need to know is carbon, Ti and carbon,
xt cranks
xo
e13lg1
thompson masterpiece
selital carbon

just to name a couple things

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Singletrack wheels or Rhino Lights.
Welterweight tubes.
2.4" rear tire.Specialized Evil Twin.
2.6" front tire.Gazzi Jr.
E-13 or MRP guide
Snell approved motocross helmet is good .Protect the ribs too.Armor is good !

Never been to Whistler,but it looks fast & killer fun..Might have to rent a dh bike one year down the road when i have to $$ flow.

Hey whats up man. Good choice on the Frame, I love mine.
Here is my parts sugestions.

Breaks: Magura Luise Fr

Wheels and Hubs: Mavic 823's if you want to run tubles, Mavic 721's or Singletracks if you want to run with tubes. Lace those up to either Hadley's or Hopes
Or go for the Industry 9 wheelsets those things are also awsome.

Drivetrain: I would suggest sram stuff. Trigger shifters are my favorite. If you've got the bucks go for the XO carbon stuff, otherwise the X7 series works just fine and is much less money.

Bars: SIC USA Racer Bars are nice. They come at 28" but have a large flat area so they can be cut down to as short as 24" and still have plenty of room to run in the breaks.

Chainguide: MRP system3 or Gamutt. 38tooth chainring.

Cranks: Middleburn for shure.

Have fun with the build!

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
coma13 said:
Are you on a budget at all?
Since this will be my DH bike for a good long while, I definitely want to do it right the first time and put the quality in the bike where its needed, but skimp a bit where its not so much needed.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
bigdrop05 said:
Never been to Whistler,but it looks fast & killer fun..Might have to rent a dh bike one year down the road when i have to $$ flow.
I guess you're pretty far away from Whistler, but its soooo worth it. Summer time is the deal because its a lot less expensive than in the Winter. The canadian exchange rate helps. Also, if you can load a bunch of people into a condo, it can be quite cheap. I'm going in July and will be paying about $30 a night. Good deal! Just hope I have my new bike together by then!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
-Maxxis High Roller tires
-SDJ I-beam post, I-fly seat for ultra light weight or I-fly C seat for more comfort
-Shimano Saint shifter
-Shimano Dura-ace rear derailleur, chain, and 11-27 cassette
-Tioga MX Pro Pedals!!!!!!!!!
-Middleburn cranks w/ SKF BB
-e13 LG1 chainguide fo sho, it's sick
-Thomson X4 50mm 0 degree stem
-Easton EA70 bars
-Mavic EX721 rims on Hope Pro II hubs OR Industry Nine w/ 721s
-Specialized XC tubes

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
-Shimano Saint brakes. I'm counting my pennies before I can afford them but after a week in mammoth w/ them I can say they rock. More than Hayes and Juicys.

-I-beam is the best, Thomson Masterpiece is good too if you don't like I-beam

-Tioga MX Pros RoXXORZ1000101011one! Buy them.

-I also like my Holzfeller stem

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
I agree with Bicyclist on his build, except handle bars/stem. Go for the Easton Monkey Lite DH Carbon bar. Light and takes a pounding!! Stems - RF Diabolus (much sexier than Truvativ :) )

July is pretty dry @ Whistler. If you can, get Minions for the time your there.

Saint brakes - period.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
I've always liked Hayes Mags for brakes the best but a lot of it is prefrence. I'd like to try out a pair of Formula's but I ahve heard bad things.

As for pedals I would ahve to say Azonic A-Frames are great and grippy too.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
I can't say anything about shimano brakes... saint brakes might be the best (my hayes work just fine so i don't really worry about it), but i can speak from about 10 years of experience when i say stay the f*** away from a shimano drivetrain. I've been on SRAM stuff for about the last year and i gotta say it blows shimano away. the shifting is much more crisp and reliable than any shimano junk i ever had. as for the rest of the bike i'd say go as light as possible b/c you're a lightweight.