Quantcast

Buildin up my banshee

ridecruz88

Chimp
Oct 20, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
hey im wondering if anyone has any input on what they think i should put on my banshee. I'm trying to keep it as light as possible since the frame already weighs so much...any ideas on what I should run? I want to make it an all around bike (FR/DH)

Also, I'm trying to sell my computer to get the money for a new fork to put on it (http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104389) and it doesnt seem to be working....anybody know of a computer gamers forum haha or something where I could post this up...

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
What kind of price range are you in for these parts?

Fork: go with a boxxer team-not too expensive, and uber light.
Wheels: 321(729's, whatever they are called) with hubs that fit your budget-the front 20mm axel is pretty much the same threwout the companies-so dont spend alot of money on a matching King hub, when you can get a hope, or something like htat for alot less.
Cranks: Depending on what you can spend, i have Saint's on my bike, and i LOVE them-rediculously stiff, and defiantly strong enough for anything. I also have Holzefellers on another bike, and those are stiff too, so check those out if you can find them cheaper.
Chainguide:e13-thats all i have to say
Brakes: Try to find some XT 4 pots. I've run(and still running) Hayes Mag, Hope Mono(minis) and XT 4 Pots. The hopes have ALOT of modulation but dont seem to lock up easy, even grabbing as hard as i can. The hayes have less modulation, and id unno, those are my least favorite of the bunch. The XT's however are super strong, and can still modulate all you want.
Drivetrain: do whatever you want-i run shimano on one bike(Dura-ace rear, XT shifter), and sram on the other(X.7 grip/x.7 rear mech). The dura-ace is FANTASTIC but i got mine from a friend for 40 bucks, which is rediculously cheep. But it is strong, and definatly smooth, quick shifting. The x.7 is a great setup. It shifts better then the xt rear mech i had on it before, and definatly holds up to a beating.
Cockpit: Thomson HIGHLY recommended Stem and Post. Bars: I like my Titec Hellbent's, or SIC race bars. Also Protaper i hear are fantastic. I am not a fan of carbon at all. I dont even like sitting on on carbon posts, let alone riding them. Stick with aluminium is my opinion.
I'm sure i left out something, but i thought i did a good job covering it.

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
thats really good advice, but i dunno if i would put a boxxer on a banshee, other than that i agree with your parts spec 100%

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
slider plus fork or boxxer team
hadley rear ti 118tooth engagement rear hub matching front
xo x9 drivetrain with the sram hollowpin chain really strong
d3.1 or 719 (new 521) rims with db spokes
protapers or ea 70 or carbon if you want i personally love mine
thompson stem and post
sella italia flite ti gel seat or fizics nitense seat
avid juicy 5 brakes or hfx + (new ones with carbon blades and some ti hardware but strong enough for dh use)
maxxis 2.35 or 2.5 tires

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
If I were to build up my Banshee today:

Fork: 888 RC if tons of Cash, Used Shiver if $ is not there (for $350 saves a ton!)
Easton EA70
8” hayes mag's
Shimano rear shifter / drive train
ODI Lock-Ons.
Saint Cranks – worth the money and weight
Welgo B-37 pedals
whatever Seat is cheap
King rear Hub – a Shimano works if no $
Cheapo Front Hub
Mavic 729 Rims - built by someone who is good
Stan’s Tubeless
Maxxis DHF on the front and rear

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
Racerx7734 said:
Dude.............screw it.it's a Banshee......build it like this.......then beat the **** out of it and like the fact that nothing breaks.

Thats what Im talking about. They never break.

What rear shock is that on yours? I have a 5th element on mine.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
if you have a banshee you shouldnt be too concerned about weight. go with the 888.
also right from pip @ banshee. he recomends for best performance sram rear der. and shifter, and truvativ box guide for the chain. we found this worked great for us. I am a big e13 fan but not for this bike as we had some minor fit problems. the sram stuff is much quieter and never misses a beat, as for everything else...pretty much personal preference, as long as it isnt cheapo crap!!!

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Here's how mine is set up:

Get a '98-'02 Monster T. They are a much better value than an 888 and don't jack up the front end or weigh as much as the newer Monsters.
Thomson post/stem is crucial
Easton EA70s or ProTapers depending on your taste
E13 guide/bash- a little finicky on the install but bulletproof once set up. I absoultely DESTROYED the stock Truvativ2 Box Guide in no time flat.
Mavic rims
8" Hayes Mag DH brakes
The rest is open to taste and preference.