Quantcast

Broken Boxxer what to do?

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
My 2010 boxxer team took a good one today. the lowers appear to be twisted. everything else looks ok to me but I didn't open her up because really I wouldn't know what to look for. so, what to do about this? do you guys think anything else could be wrong with it? and next, will RockShox just replace lowers and how much am i looking to pay if they will.

Thanks
Jordan

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
My 2010 boxxer team took a good one today. the lowers appear to be twisted. everything else looks ok to me but I didn't open her up because really I wouldn't know what to look for. so, what to do about this? do you guys think anything else could be wrong with it? and next, will RockShox just replace lowers and how much am i looking to pay if they will.

Thanks
Jordan
if it just twisted then loosen all the clamp and crown bolts and it should straighten right out.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
They are really good with warranty stuff actually. I've broken 3 boxxers and they've all been warrantied (sp?). Heard of your problem a few times before and they seem to take care of their customers pretty well! Good luck!!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Jordan,

seeing as the lowers only bent and did not actually break allowing more twisting I imagine you are in the clear, but to be safe make sure crowns big not bend (different than twisting out of alignment).

once you have the lowers removed, take the upper legs and slide through the crows. they should go through both upper/lower crowns on both side without trouble... if that's the case than you are in the clear and all you need in new lowers.

those are really the only things you can damage without it being obvious.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
RS has solid customer service for sure.... Been amazing.....

5150 thats not reassuring that youve broken 3... Story please.....
People don't believe our terrain can be brutal on bikes/parts out here. literally everyone I ride with has broken at least one - three forks...including a few 40's thrown in there!

They always seem to break either inside the lowers or the brake arch.

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
5150. where at in sb you live. havent seen you around. i ride with most of the guys out here. preston, gordon, zasho few others.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
crashing can be brutal on bikes/parts. everyone I ride with has broken at least one - three forks...including a few 40's thrown in there!

They always seem to break either inside the lowers or the brake arch.

fixed that for ya... I find it odd that all you guys are talking about warranty and things breaking as if it nothing to do with the fact that you CRASHED

and most forks will break at the arch or bend in a substantial crash. Personally I would rather have that happen than start bending crowns and upper tubes. Everything is only as strong as it's weakest link... lowers are easy and fairly cheap to replace those other parts are not.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
take it to your shop, have them call SRAM and get you a new one. might even be free.
You likely won't have to pay for the lowers. Mine were free when I bent a set a few months ago.
They are really good with warranty stuff actually. I've broken 3 boxxers and they've all been warrantied (sp?). Heard of your problem a few times before and they seem to take care of their customers pretty well! Good luck!!
NOTE: This is why forks cost so damn much.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
NOTE: This is why forks cost so damn much.
Really? Because I can list off a few competing forks that didn't get warrantied for legitimate issues, and cost as much...

BTW: I think it's best to keep what you recieve "for free" under warranty to yourself. Letting the internet run with assumptions that buying brand x = free replacement parts will surely result in brand x cracking the whip. Don't confuse generousity or good luck with "the way it is." I only ride SRAM products, but I'd hate to see them tighten up on service because they got pigeonholed for occasionally letting something slide at no cost that shouldn't have been.