Quantcast

Broken 8spd XT shift pods

J

Joe33

I was wondering how long have you guys gone with a shifter before it gave out? The one I bought four monthes ago stripped on me the other day. It did the same thing the last one did, I was pushing the thumb level in when it made a noise and then went limp. After that it wouldnt go into the 4 lowest gears. I dont want to spend another 60 bucks on new set what should I do?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Joe33
I was wondering how long have you guys gone with a shifter before it gave out? The one I bought four monthes ago stripped on me the other day. It did the same thing the last one did, I was pushing the thumb level in when it made a noise and then went limp. After that it wouldnt go into the 4 lowest gears. I dont want to spend another 60 bucks on new set what should I do?
Spend another $60.

I've taken them apart and can re-assemble them, but it isn't for the faint of heart.

Basically, the tooth on the pawl that your thumbshifter activates is broken off - this is not an uncommon occurrance. If you want, you can take it out, get a chunk of good steel, and make a new pawl.

I did this successfully, by tracing the old one onto a piece of steel and cutting it out, then filing it down to size. Reassembled and it works fine now.

Frankly, it would have been worth the effort to spend $60 on a new set of shifters.....

KL

Chimp
Feb 2, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Originally posted by Joe33
This happened to me EXACTLY on 2 different sets of XT 8sp shifters. I successfully got one set warrantied from Shimano. They need the original receipt and I think XT componenets have a 1 or 2 year warranty. See the shimano webpage for more details. I set it directly to them and they got it back to me in about 5 weeks I think.

Good Luck,

KL

J

Joe33

Originally posted by sub6
Spend another $60.

I've taken them apart and can re-assemble them, but it isn't for the faint of heart.

Basically, the tooth on the pawl that your thumbshifter activates is broken off - this is not an uncommon occurrance. If you want, you can take it out, get a chunk of good steel, and make a new pawl.

I did this successfully, by tracing the old one onto a piece of steel and cutting it out, then filing it down to size. Reassembled and it works fine now.

Frankly, it would have been worth the effort to spend $60 on a new set of shifters.....

I took the older one apart and that was the problem. Luckly it wasnt so bad that I had to make new piece. I just ground the end back to a point. It works almost as good as the other had, but the last gear is a little sticky. I figure Ill use this one well the other is sent in for warrenty work.

I got on more problem with the one being sent in. I made the trigger part a little longer with some aluminum. Do you guys think they will use that as a excuse not to warrenty it. Should I take it off or not bother?

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
but next time, buy GripShift. I been riding the same pair of 8-speed X-Rays since 1996. Never a problem, though I've worn out or broken everything else on the bike -- two or three times.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Originally posted by Phreaddy
but next time, buy GripShift. I been riding the same pair of 8-speed X-Rays since 1996. Never a problem, though I've worn out or broken everything else on the bike -- two or three times.
I warrantied dozens of 8speed Xray shifters back in about '96-'97 compared to very few shimano shifters

Everything breaks - fix or replace it when it does.

btw, I've overhauled many a shimano shifter, but when the pawl tip was broken off, I always told the customer to buy a new one. Nice jobs on filing them or recreating the pawl though.