Quantcast

Bring back the Draft?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I was under the impression that all of the members of our current armed forces signed up voluntarily and are payed for their work. I would also assume that when these people signed up for military service, they had an idea that combat may be involved. This is the military after all.

The idea that a draft would make the reality of war more tangible to the politicians that endorse it is silly. We have a military composed of willing, paid individuals. Forcing people to fight is an entirely different matter. War on a scale that would require a draft is an entirely different matter than a war that can easily be fought with our current military.

While I am more in favor of the democrats on most issues, this seems nothing more than a ploy to confuse the issue.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I am in favor of a draft during wartime if our reserves are running low. However, I do not support mandatory military service in any way.

"I'm going to introduce legislation to have universal military service to let everyone have an opportunity to defend the free world against the threats coming to us," Rangel said on CNN's "Late Edition."

:rolleyes: What a crock of sh*t. An "opportunity."

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
After Vietnam, I don't see it ever coming back. If there was something worth fighting for, like if there was another attack on our home soil, you wouldn't need it — there'd be enough people wanting to enlist voluntarily.

'ceptin' me of course. I'm too damn old. :D

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Bring back the draft. Zero and I mean ZERO exemptions. No college deferment, no medical deferment, no national guard or ROTC exemptions. Women, gay, everybody goes. Cheney, Bush Jr. and Clinton plus a whole lot of powerful wankers all opted out of southeast Asia on subtle shades of gray.

I wanna be in the same platoon as the Bush Twins! :monkey:

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
zero exceptions are bad, do you really want to send people who could contribute a lot to society off to potential death.

I don't think it would have enough support in the uk to make it posible here.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by D_D
zero exceptions are bad, do you really want to send people who could contribute a lot to society off to potential death.
That is sort of a moot point don't you think? We'll never know how many of the servicemen and women who gave their lives in Vietnam had any more to contribute to society than those who who took the pansie way out - because they died and left us with the Bushe's, Quale's, Clinton's and Cheney's... :monkey:

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
How about we just don't go around provoking war and meddling with matters that don't concern us. We won't need any extra military and the ones we do have will be spared. Enough of our budget is geared towards the military. Don't involve the people themselves.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that bill is ridiculous -- there is no way we will ever see rich politicians' kids serving in the front lines.

furthermore, i for one will not serve in the military, draft or not. if it comes down to it, i would move to japan.

Originally posted by Toshi
furthermore, i for one will not serve in the military, draft or not. if it comes down to it, i would move to japan.
If there's a draft and they call you to go, you had better have a good reason, unless you don't mind going to jail. :) But I'm sure, as you said, that the rich politicians' kids would be 'exempt.' *L*

Any particular reason why you wouldn't go? I'm just curious.

And no offense intended (so don't take any) but this is the exact reason why I'm for the draft but NOT for mandatory military time. I agree that in times of war or extreme circumstances, a draft is useful, but the last thing we need in the military is a whole lot of people who do NOT want to be there.

Eddie420

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
Sydney,Australia

Why not move to Japan anyway, Japan is soo cool. I might be returning there this year for a few weeks.

Drafts:rolleyes: :nope:

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Who doesn't? Those girls know how to party!!! Learned it from their father, I expect... :monkey:
From SNL: The Bush twins turned 21 this month. In accordance with family tradition the girls celebrated starting with cocktails at 5:00 and continuing for the next 19 years. :cool:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by fourgivn1
If there's a draft and they call you to go, you had better have a good reason, unless you don't mind going to jail. :) But I'm sure, as you said, that the rich politicians' kids would be 'exempt.' *L*
couldn't i just not show up like bush jr? ;) more seriously, i would rather go to jail than to serve in a military fighting a war of aggression, as opposed to one of self defense. and no, before that is brought up, attacking iraq is not a war of self defense. iraq is merely the default target now that we're running low on non-nuclear "axis of evil" countries to pick on.
Any particular reason why you wouldn't go? I'm just curious.

And no offense intended (so don't take any) but this is the exact reason why I'm for the draft but NOT for mandatory military time. I agree that in times of war or extreme circumstances, a draft is useful, but the last thing we need in the military is a whole lot of people who do NOT want to be there.
i feel war waged for any other reason than self defense to be immoral. (if we lived in heinlein's universe and were being attacked by klendathu that would be a different matter ;) )

Originally posted by Eddie420
Why not move to Japan anyway, Japan is soo cool. I might be returning there this year for a few weeks.
ah, i agree that japan is cool. i don't like the passivity of many people, but i imagine that will change over time. incidentally, i probably will be spending next year in japan, teaching english. :D :eek:

couldn't i just not show up like bush jr? ;) more seriously, i would rather go to jail than to serve in a military fighting a war of aggression, as opposed to one of self defense. and no, before that is brought up, attacking iraq is not a war of self defense. iraq is merely the default target now that we're running low on non-nuclear "axis of evil" countries to pick on.
I can't disagree with you there. I DO hope that you don't think that everyone who voted for GWB is all for this whole 'preemptive strike' thing. I see the wisdom in it, to a degree, yes, but that doesn't mean I'm 'for' it.

i feel war waged for any other reason than self defense to be immoral. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'd agree. Of course, this begs the question...what exactly does 'self-defense' mean? *L*

dbisers311

Chimp
Oct 29, 2001
Rochester, NY
The purpose of this guys bill is to make it so people actually think a little before letting some fascist start a war in their name. The current administration all got out of fighting some way or another,except Colin Powell, who is a little more sane than the rest of them. Their cheerleader, Limbaugh, got out of nam or korea, forget which, due to problems with his ass. No joke, he claimed he had some sort of health problems related to his butt. For the most part the Americans that are against this war aren't doing anything about it, just waiting for some polititician to say no. I, for one, am going to dc this saturday along with a couple hundred thousand more to tell bush to **** himself.

A non-exemption draft would put the children of the warmongers in harms way, how many wars would we have then?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag

I'd agree. Of course, this begs the question...what exactly does 'self-defense' mean? *L*
Well clearly everyone is a potential threat and therefore must be attacked before they are even aware of your presence. That is simply self defence taken to its limit.

It's apparently known as 'Ecky Thump' and can be attributed to Monty Python.

Perhaps that's where Dubya's been getting his policies from.