Quantcast

Brand new to FR

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Err... Keep your skin up and the rubber down? nah, being serious: Never ride beyond your skills. If you don't know them, simply go for the safe move. In time you'll feel more comfortable and will be able to get to the nasty stuff. But, for starters, play safe.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
Err... Keep your skin up and the rubber down? nah, being serious: Never ride beyond your skills. If you don't know them, simply go for the safe move. In time you'll feel more comfortable and will be able to get to the nasty stuff. But, for starters, play safe.
If you want to progress in the sport you have to go outside of your skill limits?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
If you want to progress in the sport you have to go outside of your skill limits?
You never start climbing mountains by the Everest. Not even if you are a Tibet-born Sherpa. The OP stated he was new to FR, so my best advice for him would be to keep it safe until he developes some rudimentary techinques and self confidence. Off course you'll have to break your own limits in order to make it to the top. But being suicide won't take you far.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
You never start climbing mountains by the Everest. Not even if you are a Tibet-born Sherpa. The OP stated he was new to FR, so my best advice for him would be to keep it safe until he developes some rudimentary techinques and self confidence. Off course you'll have to break your own limits in order to make it to the top. But being suicide won't take you far.
Good words.
A wise man once said do a 2 foot drop 50 times, then do a 3 foot drop 100 times and so on

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Also, and possibly most importantly, look before you leap! Don't ride new sh*t blindly...know what you are about to hit. I see too many new people just charging a line they've never ridden before and nearly every time it's a brush with death kind of thing.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I resemble that remark!

Yeah, look first. Ride lots. No shame in walking around stuff for a while. Learn how to bunnyhop and figure out when/where to brake (it is not where you think). I found that braking properly is the key to this sport. My first run down a hill was an exercise in terror and going OTB because I kept braking at all the wrong times. Slow down on the smooth stuff, let it go through the rough. It is the opposite of what your body/brain wants to do at first. The simple trick of popping your front wheel up and over stuff instead of plowing into it is massively helpful, too.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
If you are completely new to biking I would recommend going to Borders and reading Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack.