Quantcast

Brakes Question

Bruceskee

Chimp
Jun 4, 2011
Hey guys,

I was just wondering,

Can 8" rims fit on any wheel?

I have Mavic 729 rims and just about to buy new Avid Elixr 3's?

will they fit?

thanks

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
1. By rims, I can only assume you mean rotors.
2. The rim you have means fvck all for whether or not the rotors will fit.
3. Your frame and fork are the relevant bits for fitment. What are they?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
You will need Avid 203mm brake adapters for your brakes. Will your frame and fork accept 8" rotors?

What frame and fork do you have? As long as your hubs are disc brake compatible you wil be fine depending on the above.

Bruceskee

Chimp
Jun 4, 2011
You will need Avid 203mm brake adapters for your brakes. Will your frame and fork accept 8" rotors?

What frame and fork do you have? As long as your hubs are disc brake compatible you wil be fine depending on the above.
Currently have a Specialized Demo 9 DH

which has Hayes Magnesium .. Need to get rid of them.
they are currently 8" rotors.

1. By rims, I can only assume you mean rotors.
2. The rim you have means fvck all for whether or not the rotors will fit.
3. Your frame and fork are the relevant bits for fitment. What are they?
Sorry 1. i ment Rotors, and can they fit on any wheel..`
i have Hayes Magnesiums atm, (very old) so i need to replace them.. just wondering if theres anything in particular i need. :S

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Currently have a Specialized Demo 9 DH

which has Hayes Magnesium .. Need to get rid of them.
they are currently 8" rotors.

Sorry 1. i ment Rotors, and can they fit on any wheel..`
i have Hayes Magnesiums atm, (very old) so i need to replace them.. just wondering if theres anything in particular i need. :S
If you're currently running 8" Hayes rotors then yes any 8" rotors will work fine. You just need to make sure your new rotors are 6-bolt (International Standard) and not Centrelock (Centrelock rotors are currently only made by Shimano I believe, so if you're buying Avids you'll be fine). You shouldn't have any issues, just make sure you don't throw out the metal adaptors that are attached between the caliper and the frame/fork, you'll want those for your new brakes too.

Bruceskee

Chimp
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks everyone for the quick replys, just got my Avid Exlir 3's and fitted on my bike and running smooth, thanks :]