Quantcast

Brakes: LX v/s Saint

marra

Chimp
Apr 22, 2005
A friend told me that this brakes are very similar and the differences between them are very small.
Is the difference in the price of this 2 brakes worth?
Are the LX good for DH?
I want to chanche my ECs.
thank you

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well in terms of DH the Saints were ment for DH/FR, so you won't go wrong there!

I dunno about LX brakes, if you said XT I'd say those are probably closer to Saint type stuff than say LX. If you are considering Saints you should just go Saint or XT (but Saint is designed for DH/FR riding).

They are probably similar to a point as most are (like Hayes 9's and Mag's) being a different lever but same caliper, then the El Camino's change 100%. Shimano brakes are probably similar (different levers) but very similar calipers.

x-vert

Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
The thing about shimano is that they dont sell the levers with their new stuff. They sell them seperately. So I think if you're deciding whether to get the saint or lx caliper.. get lx, and saint/xt levers.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
get the saint caliper and the lx shifter, the shifter are the same the brake calipers are much different

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
zedro said:
yeah yeah shimano big evil company and all the others are doing it for the sick children... :rolleyes:
Bish...........every time I buy a $150 dollar sram derailleur, glaciers thicken by 2%, a blue whale sends a thank you note and baby seals rip off their skin and mail it to me just to say "thanks for saving my siblings".

I bought a shimano derailleur cable once and mothra and gammera fought outside my front door for like two months.
.........no thank you

x-vert

Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
kidwoo said:
Bish...........every time I buy a $150 dollar sram derailleur, glaciers thicken by 2%, a blue whale sends a thank you note and baby seals rip off their skin and mail it to me just to say "thanks for saving my siblings".

I bought a shimano derailleur cable once and mothra and gammera fought outside my front door for like two months.
.........no thank you
thank you. you just made my day, i can rest in peace now.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
kidwoo said:

.........no thank you
Thomas Vanderham and Wade Simmons uses Dual Control, according to this ad...

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
All the levers are the same. Get Saint or XT calibers. those two are the same, the only difference is the rotors you get(one has oversized saint, one is regular xt, obviously). I assume the LX does a great job for small bike stuff(deores kick ass), but i dont know about the DH/FR stuff.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
sama1ter said:
All the levers are the same. Get Saint or XT calibers. those two are the same, the only difference is the rotors you get(one has oversized saint, one is regular xt, obviously). I assume the LX does a great job for small bike stuff(deores kick ass), but i dont know about the DH/FR stuff.

they are not the same, saint and XT ships from Japan, LX and Hone ships from Spore or Malaysia, castings are the same but that doesnt mean they are the same parts, shimano doesnt sell lx at 30% less retail for nothing.
as for other differences, the cheaper ones use BH59 hose, Saint uses BH63, the more expensive one has banjo 90degree entry in the caliper, and AFAIK saint ships with the more expensive pads. i say if you want to same some coin, use the LX levers but i think the calipers are worth the extra money for better hose routing and pads.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
In terms of performance the LX caliper will not lose anything to the Saint - they both have the same sized pistons, the only difference worth noting is the two piece vs one piece calliper. The latter will only affect weight (one piece is lighter due to the lack of bolts). The LX will come stock with M07 resin pads however, which are nowhere near as nice as the M06 full sintered pads the saints include. If the brakes are for DH, i'd advise going with Hone - which is the same caliper as LX - but includes the sintered pads. Or if you have the money, just grab saints.

Vitox do you own hone, lx, or new deore callipers?
At least in the past, all shimano hydraulic calipers and levers I have owned (from deore through to saint) have been japanese made. Sounds to me like you are making guesses based on derailleurs/shifters which are not the same thing. But regardless - you are making a completely false assumption that manufacturing quality will differ in s/pore or malaysia. Every (and I mean every) shimano part I have ever owned has been made to the highest standard, and quality is one thing that is never lacking, even in their lower end parts. I suggest that unless you have conclusive evidence to back up your statements, that you pipe down on the country of origin issues. This may have been a concern 10-15 years ago, but in this day and age it's not.

You are correct that the hone/lx/deore (new) run a straight fitting at the calliper - that uses an olive setup like the lever. I prefer the 90deg banjo too, but it will make zero performance difference. In terms of pads, they all cost about the same. Deore, LX, and XT come with resin pads (obviously for xc/trail use) while Hone and Saint come with full sintered metal pads (for dh - but imo these are the best all round). Finally, the Saint and XT levers have higher end pivot hardware and a rubber boot for the lever shaft which will mean longer lasting levers. Hope I covered everything.

By all means - buy the topend stuff if you can afford it, but having owned almost every shimano hydraulic that has come out - I can say that, given the right pads, they all work the same (incredibly well :)).

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
udi ive got saint on one xtr on another, i had absolutely forgotten about the 1 part cast vs the other. companies have hyped 1 piece calipers as being stiffer than bolted ones, logic seems to be behind that argument, but who knows if its a percievable increase in performance

as for the procedence of parts, i do the "shopping cart" (think container) for the largest bike company here so thats why i have to sort things out like consolidating from different sources etc.
anyway, youre right its just a supposition that japan has the highest quality, but hey i got this the other day from shimano that seems to support my claim
shimano said:
2) CS-HG40 8speed MEGARANGE
The production site of CS-HG40 8speed MEGARANGE (11-34T specification) will be
switched from Malaysia to Singapore. By taking this production site change, the origin of
new CS-HG40 8speed MEGARANGE will change from Malaysia to Singapore, which makes
it no more applicable for the GSP (Generalized Scheme of Preferences). Accordingly we
are going to reduce the price of new CS-HG40 8speed MEGARANGE made in Singapore
by around 5%, so the your cost price-difference given from not having the GSP is more than
compensated.
so, well, i didnt even mention the word "quality" in my post but you still reacted to what you supposed i was saying, while at the same time contradicting yourself by offering very accurate and detailed information that would back my "shimano doesnt charge 30% retail for nothing", i hope that exerpt from the april newsletter explains my argument, that is, unless you suppose shimano would voluntarily make parts in factories that are more expensive, with no benefit.

btw the hinge pin on is different, but yea i think you covered it pretty good.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
vitox said:
companies have hyped 1 piece calipers as being stiffer than bolted ones, logic seems to be behind that argument, but who knows if its a percievable increase in performance
Not sure if there's a performance improvement, but brake fluid started comming out the middle of the caliper due to the seal failing in the two-piece design. Monoblock=less chances for leakage at least.

On some brakes you can see some flex when you squeeze the levers real tight.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
vitox said:
companies have hyped 1 piece calipers as being stiffer than bolted ones, logic seems to be behind that argument, but who knows if its a percievable increase in performance
thats one of those marketing illusions that seem obvious and sells fancy looking aluminum blocks (cough Hope cough), except when you consider steel bolts are stiffer and stronger and also can be preloaded, unlike a monoblock which will start flexing the moment any pressure is exerted.

Its a caliper per caliper basis, but monoblock does not indicate a stiffer block.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
Saint's use a 1 piece forged caliper and under continued braking conditions (such as in DH) the monoblock design resists brake fade much better.

zedro said:
thats one of those marketing illusions that seem obvious and sells fancy looking aluminum blocks (cough Hope cough), except when you consider steel bolts are stiffer and stronger and also can be preloaded, unlike a monoblock which will start flexing the moment any pressure is exerted.

Its a caliper per caliper basis, but monoblock does not indicate a stiffer block.
Steel is a harder metal than aluminum, hence the reason that no company (I think - correct me if I am wrong) uses aluminum bolts to connect the 2 caliper halves. Aluminum (as a softer metal) could flex, but that is dictated by the manufacturing process. In this case, a forged caliper is stronger.

I don't see how this could possibly be marketing since there is empirical evidence to back it up. Not even an arguement about if they are better suited for DH than LX.

When I got my Saint's they came with both Saint rotors and XT 6" 203 rotors and both types of pads (resin & metal). They are a great bang for the buck.

peluson

Chimp
Jun 19, 2006
marra said:
A friend told me that this brakes are very similar and the differences between them are very small.
Is the difference in the price of this 2 brakes worth?
Are the LX good for DH?
I want to chanche my ECs.
thank you
both are good, but the "saint" brake is more expensive and better, but there are some difference:

A difference is the seal that has the saint of the manacle support, this protects it from the powder and dirt

Another difference is the flex entry in the caliper,
the pad ragulator, (lx hasn`t this part)
and the "lx" caliper has two pieces joined by screws. the saint is only one caliper body without join

the pads, "saint" has a metalic pads, and the "lx" has a compound pads

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dhpimp said:
Saint's use a 1 piece forged caliper and under continued braking conditions (such as in DH) the monoblock design resists brake fade much better.

Steel is a harder metal than aluminum, hence the reason that no company (I think - correct me if I am wrong) uses aluminum bolts to connect the 2 caliper halves. Aluminum (as a softer metal) could flex, but that is dictated by the manufacturing process. In this case, a forged caliper is stronger.
I believe steel bolts are stronger than alu, not "stiffer", and obviously strength is key with snapping bolts.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just bought a pair of saint calipers/levers/6 bolt 203 mm rotors today, hope it was a good choice over the juicys...

Every pair of saint brakes i have ridden made me :)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I just bought a pair of saint calipers/levers/6 bolt 203 mm rotors today, hope it was a good choice over the juicys...

Every pair of saint brakes i have ridden made me :)
big mistake, juicy's or hopes baby :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
gemini2k said:
big mistake, juicy's or hopes baby :)
i have some juicy carbons on my trail bike...

it is my opinion that the juicy owners that talk smack on the saints usually have no experience with them, if you have ridden them it is near impossible to say anything bad.

StinkLink

Chimp
Apr 30, 2005
Western Massachusetts
true. i've heard a lot of smack about hayes from people that have had a problem with one brake setup once.

i had a prob with a hayes setup once, and went through a lot trying to fix it, with no luck. eventually i sent it back to hayes. they sent me a new setup, properly bled and all. haven't had a problem in the past 3 years. nuff said. i guess my point is, everyone has a different expereince: just stick with what works best for you.