Quantcast

Boxxer 2010 - Using drop crown to slacken head angle?

Dsunday

Chimp
Nov 26, 2009
Hi, Ive been running a flat crown on my IronHorse Sunday with -2*Cups and 2010 boxxer teams.
There is about 2mm of crown showing above the top crown and i've had no problems.

I have now put on a drop crown and slid the stanchion up so there is still 2mm showing about the top crown.
This obviously increases the amount of stanchion in the "travel area" by about 1,5" and slackend the HA
Is this safe? i can find minimum distances on srams tech documents but no maximums.

cheers

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That's fine, I actually think the bike potentially works better like that as you get a little bit more pedal clearance for rough tracks. With slacker cups (that most have installed) the BB starts dropping too low, so raising the fork a bit helps get closer to the original 13.9" number.

As long as you're happy with the geometry changes there's nothing to worry about.

Dsunday

Chimp
Nov 26, 2009
Cheers UDI.
So far (not ridden it off road) i'm happy anyway, so as long as it doesn't put extra strain on the boxxers that they fail?

With a small frame the wheel base is now 46" (nearly same as stock large!)
the Head angle is now 62.6 (i'll have to double check this properly again)
and the Bottom bracket is 13.75"

really feels like it will handle the rough stuff better and faster now!

I might buy a medium front end too but it only seems to give 1" extra in the cockpit area.
So gonna try this first, then 38mm high rise bars, then new front end.