Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I really have no idea what's good in the e-bike space, but this looks more appealing, better value and is customizable:
https://www.propain-bikes.com/en/bikes/e-bike/ekano-165/?noredirect=en-GB
Yeah. It probably is. Plenty ebikes are. That was kinda my point. VFM is poor with the Santa Cruz.
The E7000 motor on the Bullet really is shit. Gutless, heavy and not durable enough for proper riding.
An internal 630wh battery is tons heavier than an external 504wh battery. (not just because of the extra capacity but because internal battery frames need to be built differently and that always means more weight. The Bullit frame is clearly light for what it is but it probably could have been even lighter with an external battery.
The geometry of the Bullet is pretty average/Conservative for a 2021 170mm EMTB. (not a bad thing but it does mean there are plenty alternatives that will perform just as well with a better spec at a far lower price point than even the basic model Bullet.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why the hell do e-bikes come with 12 speed drivetrains? Seems like 1X10 should suffice.
Been running 10speed 11-36 x 36t with zee mech and shifter on mine since 2019. At £40 for a full drivetrain (cassette, chain, ring) and plenty low enough gearing until the battery dies I've no plans to ever change that.
Not only is it 1/10 the running cost. It's actually lighter and more durable than a £500 12 speed Eagle set up would be too.

12speed is pretty pointless even on a normal mtb for me. 11spd 10-42 cassette and 34t ring is all the range I ever need.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Been running 10speed 11-36 x 36t with zee mech and shifter on mine since 2019. At £40 for a full drivetrain (cassette, chain, ring) and plenty low enough gearing until the battery dies I've no plans to ever change that.
It's actually lighter and more durable than a £500 12 speed Eagle set up would be too.

12speed is pretty pointless even on a normal mtb for me. 11spd 10-42 cassette and 34t ring is all the range I ever need as a typical climb can l

I would be fine losing 3 gears in the middle, but I need that range, climbing can go on for hours.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I would be fine losing 3 gears in the middle, but I need that range, climbing can go on for hours.
Get an E bike. I hear they reduce time spent climbing dramatically.

There's a lot of climbing here too but anything needing lower than 34x42 you're riding below walking pace. Remember I'm still riding 26" tho on all my normal bikes.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wasn't the SRAM egruppo just 8-speed with huge jumps between the cassette cogs?
EX1
It still is.
It also still costs an absolute fortune.

If you're not old/unfit/disabled/obese and ride trails normal bikes can get up (rather than purposely looking for super steep almost unridabru climbs) an E bike cassette would be better to have closer ratio sprockets at the small end and no dinner plate sprocket at the big end at all. You spend way more time in the 15t - 11t range of the cassette than on a normal bike. And even in Eco you can ride climbs 2 or 3 gears higher than a normal bike.
Current 10-50 12 speed cassettes are pretty pointless with a motor.
The 10 has far too little chain wrap and will slip sooner under load with wear and like I said, the 50t is only of use if searching out impossibru climbs

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Get an E bike. I hear they reduce time spent climbing dramatically.

There's a lot of climbing here too but anything needing lower than 34x42 you're riding below walking pace. Remember I'm still riding 26" tho on all my normal bikes.

No thanks, I already have a proper motorcycle.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Running a stronger, cheaper, heavier drivetrain on an e-bike makes sense from just about every perspective. I 'get' that companies want to have an AXS-equipped super bike for your dentists orthodontist to top out their range but at the rate that ebikes chew through drivetrains I can't ever see my self looking at 'expensive drivetrain' as a selling point. My regular 27.5" bike just got treated to an 'upgraded' 2021 GX 10-52 cassette and even without a motor the easiest gear is absurd and my cassette is now bigger than my rear rotor.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
MOTOR

M O T O R

MOT OR NOT TO MOT. Apparently that's the question.

@Gary have you tried building an emtb that is also a singlespeed? Is that even possible

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Of course it's possible.
Pretty pointless other than for flat(ish) urban riding tho. And even then gears would be nicer.
Most of the motors have a fairly narrow cadence range in regards to efficiency. With their sweets pot usually around 70-90 rpm. So pretty gash for muktispeed riding in just one gear.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Of course it's possible.
Pretty pointless other than for flat(ish) urban riding tho. And even then gears would be nicer.
Most of the motors have a fairly narrow cadence range in regards to efficiency. With their sweets pot usually around 70-90 rpm. So pretty gash for muktispeed riding in just one gear.
thats why you need a throttle!

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
There are plenty of single-speed electric commuter bikes out there but even for city riding and commuting, gears are nicer. A single-speed e-mtb would need sur-ron-like power to be any fun, luckily they also exist.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The monster mash, haha. Standing and climbing on a legit eSS could feel like Godzilla stomping around. Maybe in Oregon we could all meet up at McKenzie River, eat fungus and ride up it on eSS's.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I rode MRT as a loop going up the road first, vague memories of being annoyed by all the gates at various sections - I presume to stop motos.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
MRT rock sections are fun, lower part is more like a flow trail. It was on my bucket list and after I rode it I came back disappointed. Not that I think it is a bad trail, but being as hyped as it is I was expecting something special. Which it was not. There are better trails in OR for sure.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
MRT rock sections are fun, lower part is more like a flow trail. It was on my bucket list and after I rode it I came back disappointed. Not that I think it is a bad trail, but being as hyped as it is I was expecting something special. Which it was not. There are better trails in OR for sure.
This is almost exactly how I describe MRT to people who ask me about it. It's a beautiful zone and if the weather's good it's a nice way to spend a day, but once you get down the upper part it is super chill for a loooong time. If were to do it again I'd pack a sandwich and some beers and hit some swimming holes along the way.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Don't think this guy bothered using his gears

It's not compulsory

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Don't think this guy bothered using his gears

It's not compulsory
Luke! I'd been wondering what he was up to these days.
I think he did it better on the non-motorized bike
(then again, it's quite conceivable a dino-juice powered vehicle was used in shuttling those trails...)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
wondering
Seen him out riding as a guest appearance on a couple of the popular youtubers channels.
No idea if Spesh have hooked him up or just shot this video with him.

I prefer normal bikes too BTW. To watch or ride

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Hunh. Did it ‘translate’?
actually, you probably have way more missionaries down there than we do here.
It did translate, the babelfish worked perfectly.

Umm nope we have bugger all missionaries.
NZ is largely an atheist society, being openly "magic beardy man in the sky" advocating is a great way to not get elected, as thou shalt not inflict your religious mores on others not of your religion is generally speaking how it goes here.
I cannot opine on any correlation between that and our having a largely more free & caring society......

*edit* I mean there IS still the usual Jehovah's wandering around that you see maybe once every 4 or five years, but not so much in the way of evangelical fuckwittery.