Quantcast

Blue Moon?!?!

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Alright, just needed to get this off my chest.

One of my friends, we'll call him Tex, has disappointed me.

We've been drinking good beer together for a few years. Tex is from Texas (obviously) and therefore used to drink crappy beer. Coors Light and Pearl. Pretty much exclusively. He'd actually get his dad to mail him Pearl. Absolutly disgusting. Anyways, I opened him up to real beer. Good beer. I assaulted his taste buds with every microbrew I could think of. He eventually realized that there is real beer out there. He started to rely heavily on good IPAs. I was happy, and proud of Tex.

Then came tonight.

I went to meet up with him and his sister at a bowling alley in Fredneck. Not a place where one goes to drink good beer, but at least they have Yuengling (not my favorite by far, but a decent area brew). I took a swig out of the pitcher and nearly gagged.

It was Blue Moon. The girliest of beers. Commonly served with an orange slice. I mean, what the hell?

I thought it might have been his sister's pitcher, but she was 18 and didn't drink at all. I felt betrayed.

"I like the taste, it's fruity!" - Tex

To think I wasted 2 perfectly good Dogfish Head 120 minute IPAs on him, when I could've drank them myself...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
To each his own. While Blue Moon is pretty crappy (Coors with spices, and overdone at that), I do enjoy a nice wit or white ale from time to time in the summer. I even brewed one for Monkeyfest in July.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Tex is from Texas (obviously) and therefore used to drink crappy beer.
Why is this? I was in Plano for a conference in October, and the only decent beer I saw on tap after 4 different places, was Sam Adams Octobersfest - which I can get in almost every bar here in the Boston area. The rest was mass-produced mainstream swill like Bud, Coors, etc.

I was saddened by the lack of quality beer in Texas. We are trully spoiled in the Northeast with the large amount of quality microbrews.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How does Blue Moon compare to other beers of it's type?

It's a white belgium, yeah?

I've only had Blue Moon and even fresh and cold at the brewery, it pretty much sucked. Do all beers of this style suck?

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
Blue Moon isn't beer.

Now to the fruit. I agree fruit in beer seems strange but a co-worker got lucky enough to take a trip to Belgium for work, yes I begged to go but no luck. Anyway, he informs me that many people over there drink that style of beer with the fruit for breakfast. And no it wasn't the typical breakfast at noon, it was 6 AM.

I will try and coerce my boss in letting me go next time so I can drink beer at breakfast and not look like an alcoholic. And if that means I have to eat a slice of orange then damnit I'll do it.
:monkeydance: