Quantcast

Blk Mrkt with Saint Cranks

verruckt32

Chimp
Sep 3, 2008
I'm getting ready to build up a Mob, and want to use the NEW Saint cranks. I read something saying that I need to use a 30 tooth or smaller chainring for it to clear the chainstays. Is anyone riding a Mob or Riot with the new Saint cranks? What chainring are you using (size and brand)? Thanks

Ryan

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
as far as I know.. Mob's can take up to a 30t. Doesn't matter what cranks you're running, whether it be BMX or MTN. Why new saints, just curious.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
The saints will be a bit wider, and probably work just fine. I think the 30T is more for the profile type cranks that will run out of spindle if you space a large ring out to clear the stays.

verruckt32

Chimp
Sep 3, 2008
Well, I guess my first choice were the Profile cranks. I'm not totally sold on the Saints, but my thought process was that I'm not terribly hard on my bikes, because I came from a racing background, they are pretty strong for their weight, and the biggest reason is that I get them wholesale, where as I would have to pay retail for the Profiles.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Aye... Well, saints are just as heavy as those of profiles, and I'd honestly much rather run profiles on a DH bike before saints.. but hell, I just like the feel of steel.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
Aye... Well, saints are just as heavy as those of profiles, and I'd honestly much rather run profiles on a DH bike before saints.. but hell, I just like the feel of steel.
im the total opposite... switching from profiles to saints was VERY noticeable... i love mine...

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Saints will work but as mentioned a 30t or smaller chainring is recommended. Personally I would go Profiles if going SS. You can space out the chainline easier with a BMX 3-piece crank. Plus the Profiles with a Ti BB and Ti bolts is pretty light.

I am a cosmetic mofo. I like to match cranks with the frame as far as thick/thin/tubular etc. For me a CrMo frame looks better with a Profile-esque looking crank. Same for big blocky frames. They look better with a Saint type of crank. All personal preference.

I love mine. (Yes I have a picture of every part on the Mob :biggrin:):

Last edited:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Less than 0.5mm?? That is almost unmeasurable. I call that 0mm looking at the scuff marks on the chainstay.

Plus just pedaling will flex the stay enough to hit.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I think the white bike may be a Riot. Mobs had a bottle opener yoke there through 08'. The 09' has a new version which replaces the bottle opener.

09':

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
Its called a dimple and any good machine shop should be able to do it. I have my MOB race specific done up with Saints and a 37 tooth ring. Pull ya later.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
holy shyt.. where did you get that photo broto? MTB steezing the BMX natls.
i think it was on the aba site. saw it a while back when I was looking at the results from last year's Guthrie race. im racing some bmx for the 1st time in 7 years and doin it on my mountainbike so i needed some inspiration- aka you winning guthrie both days last year :cheers:

Last edited:

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
I have this problem where my spindle is not long enough for a larger sprocket than 25t. And unfortunately a have a 14t cog because I can't fit anything smaller due to my 1/8 chain. I have primo cranks,( dont ever ever ever get these cranks, they are strong but they make you want to rip them off your bike.) The saints seem like a great choice for a riot, as you already know, blk mrkt has euro bb so the saints bb should work fine. And so should the spacing.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
running the 32 chainring on the outside instead of the middle position (in the picture) would provide quite a bit more clearance off the chainstay.