Quantcast

Bling-Blong Body armor thread questions (Dainese vs POC)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
So nothing but the best protection can touch my skin. That being said, I'm debating between the new POC body armor and the Dainese impact race jacket. My biggest concern is comfort and fit. I'm not expecting these to prevent bone breaks or anything, just minimize the damage from getting banged around on a normal day of shuttling/lift access. I also like how my core saver doesn't affect shoulder mobility at all, aside from it riding up I usually don't notice its there.

I can get the Dainese about 50 bucks cheaper, but I'm concerned it won't fit me properly. I'm 6'7.5" ~205lbs (naykid), so I need something built for people who aren't morbidly obese like the 661 stuff seems to be (why is the L/XL core saver a little too big for me???!!!). Is the POC a more slender fit? I saw "alloy" on here riding with it down at Baldy the other weekend. Looked pretty baller, he seemed stoked on it, but I don't really care about looks. Anyone had a chance to compare the 2?

Last edited:

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Definitely try both on. My Dainese jacket feels tight on me, even though it is XL. There is a Dainese store near Irvine. You might go there and try it on when in the area. I don't know who carries POC in Socal, but try calling them directly to get info.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Which of the POC armor are you looking at? They make 3 different models for upper body, and all are substantially different...

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I have a Dainese safety jacket (older style/white), and it fits like a glove. The fit did seem tight initially, but after a day of riding it was perfect. It's the most comfortable body armor I've ever worn. It's very breathable and I usually forget I even have it on when I wear it. I cant say anything about the POC stuff, cause I've never had a chance to try it out.

I think a tight fit is good when it comes to body armor (as long as it's still flexible). The pads stay put, and are always where you need them when you hit the ground.

Last edited:

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
So far 2009 I been lucky in my Dainese safety jacket and I think I would have busted my scapula wearing a POC Spine VPD Tee. The area between the back protector and the shoulder pads have a soft pad that in my opinion saved my scapula falling head and back first down a rocky shute landing on a sharp rock or a rut.

My filosofy is that the Dainese jackets are good because you have all the protection you need at all times. You never go out riding without elbow pads etc. This is at the same time a negative for many that complain about reduced freedom and general hotness. I have been using mine since 2005 in the summer heat in the alps without any problems.

The VPD is warm, I have the knee pads and they are way warm. In this respect I think Daineses are cooler.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I've got the Impact Race in size L (6', 190 lb). The sleeve length & torso fit are good. Fit of the chest plate could be a little tighter. I'd like to try on a M someday, but I feel the arm length will be a problem. At 6'-7.5" I would imagine even more of a problem.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Which of the POC armor are you looking at? They make 3 different models for upper body, and all are substantially different...
The VPD tee, the only thing that's would make sense to compare to the dainese race jacket?

I think a tight fit is good when it comes to body armor (as long as it's still flexible). The pads stay put, and are always where you need them when you hit the ground.
That's what I'm looking for, tight but not restricting. I didn't like how loose my old pressure suit fit. Very noticeable and distracting.

I've got the Impact Race in size L (6', 190 lb). The sleeve length & torso fit are good. Fit of the chest plate could be a little tighter. I'd like to try on a M someday, but I feel the arm length will be a problem. At 6'-7.5" I would imagine even more of a problem.
Hmmm, that was my concern. I wish someone made a large-tall size or something.

Leaning towards the dainese right now. Let's see what others have to say. Anyone have one around SB I could try on in L or XL?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I have a pretty beat up old model race jacket (I think?). Got it around 2005 (+/- 1 year) and it's super comfortable. Fits me like a glove and the protection is superb. The newer ones seem even better.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Mate im 6.7 and weigh about 190lbs.. Im not a massive build but have quite a large chest and broad shoulders. and i have a large Dainese impact race jacket.

It fits great and and is not lose in any areas. After abit of sweat its very comfortable.. i would recommend it!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm 5'11 and 200lb and have a large dainese suit. It tends to ride up pretty bad on the chest and the kidney belt as well. Maybe it's just the gut or the slippery underarmor stuff i wear underneath, but it seems to bump my chin too often.

Provides excellent protection and it's not too hot, either. I just wish if fit better in the torsular area.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I'm 5'11 and 200lb and have a large dainese suit. It tends to ride up pretty bad on the chest and the kidney belt as well. Maybe it's just the gut or the slippery underarmor stuff i wear underneath, but it seems to bump my chin too often.
That could be your problem. I wear mine with nothing under it and it stays put.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The gut? I'm dieting man, lay off me.

JK, the underarmor is a wicking shirt and it does wonders for the sweat. I'll try it without the shirt.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I have the POC upper body and wore if for three days at the Open. I'm 6'1/170 lbs and have the medium. Fits me like a glove, tiny bit snug but I like that as it DOES NOT MOVE at all. Used a core saver last year from 661 and the fit was wide and bulky. I like the idea of the core saver but it just moved around so much I decided to try the POC. POC def has more of a slender fit and more stretch in their armor. Also used the leg armor which again is superb, articulating knee, no need to remove shoes to remove armor, and NO SLIP. I was rocking the large in these. Overall, 10 out 10 for me. Haven't tried the new core saver yet and I heard they improved the fit for 09...

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Take a look at the body armour from Forcefield UK. Slim, flexible, well ventilated and has really good reviews from most European moto mags. Some(the moto mags) say they're even better than the Dianese stuff. They're a bit pricey, but their Pro L2 Back Protector has been the most comfortable piece of body armour I have ever owned, considering I can wear it under my jersey and ride with it in my country's hot and humid weather and completely forget I even have it on.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have an older style flak jacket and don't wear it because it's hot and seems to bulky. I think i'm going to get a Dainese Race Jacket, but I need to try some on still. I don't know much about the poc stuff, or even where I would try one.