Quantcast

Blackmarket Contraband

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
The pic below (at the time I posted it) shows the weight of the frame to be 5.8 lbs? Butted Sanko tubing? WTF? Their 26" frame is 5.1? My 26" NS is 4.9 lbs. A typo? Or is this thing built like a tank?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Since the 26" blkmrkts arent exactly weighty I'd guess it's a typo and that it's the lower weight. Either way whatever weight it is it's got some horrendous graphics on it.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Yea that has to be a typo, 2.3kg works out to be 5.07lbs. And I concur the graphics are horrible.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
My buddy has a contraband built up. It's pretty sweet.
The frame is 5.8 lbs, he works at a shop and has a very nice scale.
He made up for the burly frame with sick parts, it's at 21.5 lbs with no brakes.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I'm still pretty amazed that a 24" frame with double-butted Sanko tubing weighs that much. It must be REALLY thick Sanko tubing, because most bikes built with it are sub 5 lbs.

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
Emm, dont know what your bias is. The Mob's supertherm, where the others are lesser tensile strength cromo. Ive had the same Mob for +six years now, and hasnt cracked yet.

The dobermann has a high BB for (24 compatibility?), an obsolete external headset headtube, not to mention fugly designed dropouts and stays.

Dont know anything about NS other than they're polish and have a bad reputation for cracking within a year or abuse... (pinkbike) Much cleaner design than the Dobs anyway...

Tonics look alright... whats their advantage? Good design

And Brooklyns... know anyone who rides one? whats the weight? design looks heavy as FFFf.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The Dobermann Molosse 24 does not a high bb for a 24. It's made in Canada from American steel. If it was an obsolete hs design then why do dh,fr and most other bikes use it? Because it is a stronger design.
The riot is crap steel same as the contraband. Customer service from Dobermann is much better then BM.
The original NS frames had a problem like 3yrs ago on the lower end frames and that was corrected. The Majesty is really nice.

BlkMkrt is behind the times. Like said 5yrs ago they were nice but a MOB is not worth $600. The new decals are fugly. They come in limited colors. Sorry they are not all that. I have an 06 with vertical dropouts and the tire clearance sucks. I had an 09 wasn't impressed. The new one only comes ss.

USB has the Molly which is a 24"

A Dobermann you can get anything custom from brake mounts, cable guides, ISCG mounts to custom colors and geometry. They make the 24 Molosse, 26 Molosse, the Molosse has a 110x14 rear end so you can use a bmx hub. Pinscher you can run 24s or 26s has a 135 rear and so does the Le Pink fs.

Last edited:

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
You obviously haven't dealt with customer service with BM very much because Mondo is a saint and they back their product up. The Riot was made as a more cost effective bike, hence the steel is not going to be as high quality as the MOB which is still THE superior dj hard tail frame. FIT did the same thing to make it easier for beginners and tikes to spread their brand name. Behind the times? I don't think the Kill Switch is behind the times nor do I think geo copy cat companies have caught up to the MOB after 6 years. As far as graphics go...girls pick their bikes by colors and sticker packs homie.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Yeah if you like a "me to" bike the mob is fine. I rather have something custom to my liking not an off the shelf bike everyone who doesn't know any better has.
Only reason the killswitch has any potential is becauseo it is a Corsair. It is still not out yet and Transition did it first with the double. Also Dobermann's Le Pink has been out, along with Corsair's Konig, Commencal's Absolut SX and Banshee Rampant.
So yes BM is behind the times.

Also coming from a guy who has had 2 different generation MOBs, the mob is NOT the superior dj hardtail.
Transition Bank, Banshee Amp, Commencal cromo, Tonic Howie, Fall Guy, Howie rt.

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
to each his own, black market does have some good customer service, but no doubt the frames are over priced by todays standards. i would have to say dobermann has some of the best build quaity out there and for a good price, not to mention some of the best geo ever.

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
If it was an obsolete hs design then why do dh,fr and most other bikes use it? Because it is a stronger design.

Most DH/FR frames are aluminum.

Have you seen a bmx bike in the past three years? See any external headsets among them? Or is it that all bmx companies are "me (too)"?

Does anyone ride DH/FR on an 80mm travel hardtail, or the aforementioned Molosse?

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
Emm, dont know what your bias is. The Mob's supertherm, where the others are lesser tensile strength cromo. Ive had the same Mob for +six years now, and hasnt cracked yet.

The dobermann has a high BB for (24 compatibility?), an obsolete external headset headtube, not to mention fugly designed dropouts and stays.

Dont know anything about NS other than they're polish and have a bad reputation for cracking within a year or abuse... (pinkbike) Much cleaner design than the Dobs anyway...

And Brooklyns... know anyone who rides one? whats the weight? design looks heavy as FFFf.
Ahaha! Funny post!

Only reason the killswitch has any potential is becauseo it is a Corsair. It is still not out yet and Transition did it first with the double. Also Dobermann's Le Pink has been out, along with Corsair's Konig, Commencal's Absolut SX and Banshee Rampant.
So yes BM is behind the times.
Transition did what first? Have a small full suspension bike that could be run single speed? Kona Bass/Cowans, Arrow Racing DSS-3s or whatever might just have been around longer than Transition was pumping out Doubles...

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Ok so I personally would never buy a Kona either. The point was the buzz about the killswitch has been around for over a year and Is still not out yet. Same thing with the contraband there was buzz about it for a year.
BM is always behind the times.
I don't care what Carter Holland's brain washed minions say or think. It is still a generic frame even the mob. The quality is not incredible,its ol but there are so many better.

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
Ok so I personally would never buy a Kona either. The point was the buzz about the killswitch has been around for over a year and Is still not out yet. Same thing with the contraband there was buzz about it for a year.
BM is always behind the times.
I don't care what Carter Holland's brain washed minions say or think. It is still a generic frame even the mob. The quality is not incredible,its ol but there are so many better.
like I said, that is your opinion, and it does not matter to anyone but you. My opinion is that you are a biased jerk off. The "buzz" about the Kill Switch started sometime in September, so in my books that is only a 1/2 year, and the reason being is testing to get the best possible products out. I have ridden the Double many times, and had a few sessions on the Kill Switch, and I promise you that the proof is in the pudding. There is no comparison in the way they ride. So, you keep riding your custom made, especially for your week steez bike and I will keep riding the MOB, which is the most imitated DJ MTB ever.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I am not biased like I said I had 2 mobs a geared 06 and an ss 09. I just don't think they are the end all ht.I have ridden and own other ht's that are much better. I could say you are a biased jerk against everything but BM.
I haven't ridden the killswitch but I love my Double. I would give the killswitch a chance. Especially if it could be built to 30lbs geared like my Double.
Only thing I don't like is the KS suspension design but then again I'm not a fan of my Le Pink suspension design but I love the way I have it setup.

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
BM is always behind the times

This thread is getting old but...

Seriously, look at trends in BMX frames. The Mob came out before S&M and the rest of the 20in wheeled industry started using tapered stays and micro dropouts. Now, the most popular brands have tapered stays, micro dropouts, integrated headtubes-

Behind the times? External headtubes..! Giant perforated MTB dropouts... if they wanted lighter they could go with 3/16" instead of 1/4" thick with goofy holes and spindly attachment points. And they're still touting the Pinscher as 24/26 "compatible"- i submit there is no such thing...

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
The Le Pink is the only bike that looks right in the Dobermann arsenal... but wasn't the conversation 24s or something?

Luckynumber13

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
NJ

uhh.. a high bb is a good thing and a regular headset is stronger than an integrated one

whatcha tryin to say? NS are bad bikes and crack because they're polish?:rant:

the 24" bike that anson rides looks good and has nice geo

the tonics are nice but the geometry cold be better imo

Luckynumber13

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
BM is always behind the times

This thread is getting old but...

Seriously, look at trends in BMX frames. The Mob came out before S&M and the rest of the 20in wheeled industry started using tapered stays and micro dropouts. Now, the most popular brands have tapered stays, micro dropouts, integrated headtubes-

Behind the times? External headtubes..! Giant perforated MTB dropouts... if they wanted lighter they could go with 3/16" instead of 1/4" thick with goofy holes and spindly attachment points. And they're still touting the Pinscher as 24/26 "compatible"- i submit there is no such thing...
now both the pinschers and molosses are 24 and 26 specific, and the only difference is the dropouts..and thats the only difference there needs to be..
external headsets are stronger but dobermann can make you a custom integrated headset version if you wish..thats how good they are

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The Brooklyn Anson rides is the ACL his signature model and Is really nice.
Yes traditional headsets are stronger then integrated ones.
DOB dropouts are strong that is why they are so thick. Then they are cut out to lighten them up a little bit keeping the integrity.
BTW the Brooklyn Park bike is the original 24 specific bike.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
heh heh. Blackmarket MOB still takes the win for 26" mtbmx.

24" mtbmx is a toss-up. there are many specs with different options and opinions. disc brake, v-brake or 990's? rear hub spacing--mtb or bmx? bottom brackets--mid/spanish/euro....

but it's rad we even get to have this conversation--a lotta great bikes out there. mtbmx scene is getting better every year.

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Join the ABMM -Anti Black Market Movement. Helping the uneducated Carter Holland worshipers that there is a better world outside of the Black Market. Guns and brass knuckles are not away to create peace among the bike riders of the world. Education and an open mind are the key.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
this thread is funny.

fyi anson quit bmw. acl never went into production.

when was the last time you saw an ovalized integrated headtube?

tonic for prez.

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
Okay so lets be constructive. What is geometrically superior about the pinscher vs the Mob? Or the TOP vs the pinscher. The Howie vs the Geekhouse...

There is a general consensus among BMX bike manufacturers, head angle 74.5-75 seat 71. BB height 11.6-11.8.

Whats the perfect MTB hardtail head and seat angle? and most important BB drop/height?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Okay so lets be constructive. What is geometrically superior about the pinscher vs the Mob? Or the TOP vs the pinscher. The Howie vs the Geekhouse...

There is a general consensus among BMX bike manufacturers, head angle 74.5-75 seat 71. BB height 11.6-11.8.

Whats the perfect MTB hardtail head and seat angle? and most important BB drop/height?
A lot of it is personal opinion, but I think these are pretty ideal measurements:
26" mtbmx:
head angle 70-71
BB 12"-12.5"
chainstay 15"-15.5"

24" mtbmx:
head angle 70-72
BB 12"-12.5"
chainstay 14.25"-14.5"

top tube is even more of a preference, and one of the most critical size measurements... I like 22.5"

Seat angle around 71, not a very critical measurement for this type of bike!

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Wow... hadn't been following this thread. But, it's funny.

The riot is crap steel same as the contraband.
This is not true. I have never seen anywhere that the Riot is made from Sanko. And Sanko is actually really, really good. It's the branded quality Chromo from Japan (think like SuperTherm from the US). In fact, a lot of frame manufacturers use Sanko so that they can go with thinner tubing to lower the weight. Apparently blkmrkt didn't with the Contraband.

For the Liquid frame, we used regular "taiwan chromo" on our prototype frames and then switched to Sanko (plus double butted top and down tubes) to lower the weight and increase the strength/stiffness of the production frames. This also increased the cost quite a bit.