Quantcast

Bike vacation in early October: where to go?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Initial thoughts are New Mexico, but it's kinda hard to get down there from up here... It's still on the list though. We've done Sedona at least 3x now, and Moab/Grand Junction has been done too (though we haven't been in at least 6 years, and we're told there's lots of new trails there). We were thinking of Oregon perhaps...

There will likely be a good 6-8 of us, all dad's looking to escape our children, and looking to ride every day for a week (5-6 days). In the past we've rented an RV and driven around, and that's one of the options on the table, but we've also rented a place on VRBO (or some such site), camped, and stayed in Yurts... (that was last year, in the Hurricane, UT area).

We'll be on trail bikes, so not looking for shuttle/lift assisted riding (and no e-bikes either)

So, any suggestions, recommendations, overlooked areas? Early October is our time frame...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah, Pisgah was somewhere I'd thought of before... and it's definitely on the bucket list.

I think it's also doable as a drive from here (16 hours) , and I think some of the guys go in the Spring... It's worth looking into for sure. You guys figure there's enough riding there to fill up a week?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think it's also doable as a drive from here (16 hours) , and I think some of the guys go in the Spring... It's worth looking into for sure. You guys figure there's enough riding there to fill up a week?
i'm pretty sure there is. if not, there's enough on the way there to fill up a week.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yes:
2 days in Dupont
2 or more days in Pisgah
1 day at Tsali (just because)

Then there is Wilson's, Bailey, local pump tracks, etc.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
to go w/what profro said . . . all that - you could prob spend 3-4 days in the area of Pisgah between Brevard and Asheville . There's also the green river gamelands trails near Saluda. And Rocky Knob near Boone. If you head a bit east on I40, you can do a loop at Kitsuma near Black Mountain (or for a long day, add on Heartbreak); the Wilson Creek area (north of Morganton) has a lot, but its more remote and less well marked (a guide or detailed directions would be good) than the part of Pisgah near Brevard. Even further east there's a 3 trail system in North Wilkesboro (Dark Mountain, Overmountain Victory Trail, and Warrior Creek).
I'm sure @Westy could tell you about the goods in VA but there are trails and trail systems all along the I81 corridor between Roanoke and Harrisburg.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Another benefit/detriment to picking Pisgah is that I will volunteer to be your trail guide for a day or two while dropping wildly inappropriate one-liners all day like I have known your friends my whole life. Ha, the above suggestions are great. But don't go the Green River Galmelands by yourself. That place is a handful, and the trails are not easy to follow until you know it. It is only 20 minutes from me though.
I would base myself out of Brevard and light up Pisgah and DuPont for sure.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My guide in Sedona last year is a former Moab local. He likes Sedona for the weather, but says the riding in Moab is moar betterer... When I expressed surprise at this, he asked when was the last time I'd been, which is in 2009. He says a lot has changed since then, with lots and lots (and lots) of new trail not shared with motorized vehicles... He said he could possibly guide us, and get us set up with accomodations and bikes if needed.

I really like the idea of Pisgah, but I just floated the idea with my buddies, and for them it's more of a spring destination... Oh well, maybe this spring then!

But keep the suggestions coming... btw, no love for NM? Not enough density of trails? Anyone ever been to Sun Valley, Idaho?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My guide in Sedona last year is a former Moab local. He likes Sedona for the weather, but says the riding in Moab is moar betterer... When I expressed surprise at this, he asked when was the last time I'd been, which is in 2009. He says a lot has changed since then, with lots and lots (and lots) of new trail not shared with motorized vehicles... He said he could possibly guide us, and get us set up with accomodations and bikes if needed.

I really like the idea of Pisgah, but I just floated the idea with my buddies, and for them it's more of a spring destination... Oh well, maybe this spring then!

But keep the suggestions coming... btw, no love for NM? Not enough density of trails? Anyone ever been to Sun Valley, Idaho?
Way too late for Sun Valley. That's high country riding.

Just go to Moab. Your guide was right - the riding is better and there's more of it. Lots more of it.

Yeah, Pisgah was somewhere I'd thought of before... and it's definitely on the bucket list.

Without a doubt.

Yes:
2 days in Dupont
2 or more days in Pisgah
1 day at Tsali (just because)

Then there is Wilson's, Bailey, local pump tracks, etc.
Also Douthat, which is stupendous.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The last few trips I've taken included stops in Moab, but the plan has been hit n run to the next stop. Phil's world in Cortez, CO... Durango... Taos, NM. All are great places and not much driving (for West coast) between trail heads/campsites.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Srsly. Don't overthink this. If the weather is nice, go hit up Monarch Crest, Crested Butte, Summit County, Eagle - hell, go down and get you some San Juans if it's good.

If the weather is shitty go to Fruita. If it's shitty there, go to Moab. If it's shitty there (God help you if it is), head down to Hurkin.

Oh - and a big bonus... as long as the weather is holding, you ought to be able to get in a run on TWE. And let's face it - who doesn't like a good run on TWE?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I know there's great riding in NM, but I don't know enough if it to know where to send you. I would think basing out of Santa Fe or Albequerque could be the ticket, but I've only ridden a few things down there. If you do go, make sure you ride the South Boundary Trail from Angel Fire to Taos, super good ride. Otherwise I can't help ya.

That said: Moab. Day trip to Fruita. Or play it by ear and roll with the RV idea and have loads of options.