Quantcast

Bike thieves get some street justice...

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
Article in the L.A. Times: read it here

From the article: "Some bike messengers last month took justice into their own hands when they caught two suspected thieves, teenage boys who attended a local Catholic high school. According to police, the messengers stripped down the teens to their boxer shorts before taking their cellphones, backpacks and clothes."

Personally, I would have beat the living crap out of them and THEN sent them home in their boxers, bleeding from the mouth, nose, and possibly ears.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I will let you folks in on a secret. No amount of ass beating will ever make a thief stop being a thief. I laugh when I hear folks talk like an ass beating will make them think it is a bad idea to steal. It doesn't. If you don't want your chit stolen. Don't give them the opportunity to steal your chit. You are always to blame for your loss. Now don't get all up in it and piss about my opine. This is a fact of life.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I will let you folks in on a secret. No amount of ass beating will ever make a thief stop being a thief. I laugh when I hear folks talk like an ass beating will make them think it is a bad idea to steal. It doesn't. If you don't want your chit stolen. Don't give them the opportunity to steal your chit. You are always to blame for your loss. Now don't get all up in it and piss about my opine. This is a fact of life.
It's called avoidance conditioning.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The chances of catching a thief is about 1/1000 of the chances of recovering your bike after it has been stolen. Which is about 1/1000 of the chances of the Nets winning the NBA championship.

So the scenario of catching a thief in the act is near zero.

I agree with your assessment of taking responsibility of protecting your own stuff.

But I think it is your responsibility as a member of the biking brotherhood to do something to this douchebag. If you are a non-violent person, call the cops and give a description.

If you are a violent person, smack this guy around. Show him you care.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The chances of catching a thief is about 1/1000 of the chances of recovering your bike after it has been stolen. Which is about 1/1000 of the chances of the Nets winning the NBA championship.

So the scenario of catching a thief in the act is near zero.

I agree with your assessment of taking responsibility of protecting your own stuff.

But I think it is your responsibility as a member of the biking brotherhood to do something to this douchebag. If you are a non-violent person, call the cops and give a description.

If you are a violent person, smack this guy around. Show him you care.

As an experienced smacker and smackee. I can most definitely tell you that the only thing smacking idiots helps is to make the smacker feel better. It almost never makes the smackee say to themselves, hey maybe I shouldn't have done whatever it may have been to solicit that smackdown.
As someone with a propensity for violence (I know I joke about it here , but in all seriousness I am an extremely violent person by nature, and in the worst of ways... I am working on it....). Let me just say in a very assured way that violence begets violence in almost every instance and that it never works out in ones favor, ever!...... Judges and DA's almost never see your point of view, ever!....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
As an experienced smacker and smackee. I can most definitely tell you that the only thing smacking idiots helps is to make the smacker feel better. It almost never makes the smackee say to themselves, hey maybe I shouldn't have done whatever it may have been to solicit that smackdown.
As someone with a propensity for violence (I know I joke about it here , but in all seriousness I am an extremely violent person by nature, and in the worst of ways... I am working on it....). Let me just say in a very assured way that violence begets violence in almost every instance and that it never works out in ones favor, ever!...... Judges and DA's almost never see your point of view, ever!....
Well, I don't disagree with your nonviolent attitude. But do something! Pants a thief, good. Post a video of it, better.

I don't think it matters this thief got his, but I and thousands of other cyclists know what he looks like.