Quantcast

Bike magazine done

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Bike. The one magazine I still have/had a subscription to. Fuck!

Sucks for all the employees to that have lost their jobs. The Butcher is an acquaintance of mine. I always enjoyed her writing.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Sadly this is not a surprise. Since its inception Bike went from a monthly to 9 times a year to 4 times a year to the grave.. As a subscription holder since 97ish I will miss it but the writing was on the wall. Dirt Rag Magazine last year and Bike this year. Is the only US print MTB magazine Mountain Bike Action? God, I hope not. 2020 really does suck.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah the Rona has made the monkeys go weird, new people have joined, asked questions and there have been helpful replies.

Go back a year or so and that was not the case, have been seeing posts fron quite a few people with low counts which is good.

Are the Park Ads gone yet, can I turn my ad blocker off?

The only ads that have shit me enough to turn my ad blocker on have been Park and I think it was Mountain Dew.

I think we still have four mountain bike mags in Oz, and we don't even have any mountains.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Bike. The one magazine I still have/had a subscription to. Fuck!

Sucks for all the employees to that have lost their jobs. The Butcher is an acquaintance of mine. I always enjoyed her writing.
Same. Though I haven't really read the last few issues. I just never really bothered cancelling my subscriptions caus'... well, I wanted to support them I guess. I picked them up when Dirt folded... I hope to be able to continue reading Ferrentino somewhere, somehow.
the topic already came up in the tech support forum. i'm not particularly worried about that outcome.
Can you enlighten us?

edited to add, nevermind. Saw your response when I reloaded the page...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
BV said something that we have a good amount of routine traffic, so it's unlikely we'll wind up on the chopping block.
Even if they do decide it's not worth the trouble, this could be re-started independently w/ some minor effort.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
*Independent review sponsored by product's company.
We're doomed.

I hope this place doesn't go away. Most people would be embarassed by the amount of our biking lives we've shared on here but it really has become kind of a personal log for a lot of us.

Plus I really do love the ability to pull up 'I told you so' posts of mine from literally over a decade ago.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
We're doomed.

I hope this place doesn't go away. Most people would be embarassed by the amount of our biking lives we've shared on here but it really has become kind of a personal log for a lot of us.

Plus I really do love the ability to pull up 'I told you so' posts of mine from literally over a decade ago.
1601958966998.jpeg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I assume that was directed towards paying people creating content for twitter, IG ,et al, but certainly implies they will not be paying to keep the lights on here.
I took it to mean bike mag social media platforms also. Not necessarily rm.

Although I think we should begin contingency planning just in case.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
BV who looks after us has stated that if AMI goes away and turns off the lights, he'll post on the public Ridemonkey bookface page telling us all where to go for his rescue site:

most of us cheap bastards have always run adblock anyway...

(edit: i'd possibly throw a few bones to keep talking trash, i mean bikes, here. but then i'd also better be immune from being reprimanded every now and again for being an unruly asshole sometimes..)

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
most of us cheap bastards have always run adblock anyway...

(edit: i'd possibly throw a few bones to keep talking trash, i mean bikes, here. but then i'd also better be immune from being reprimanded every now and again for being an unruly asshole sometimes..)
I only turned it on when they started doing those full page/background mountain dew ads.

I'd chip in a few Canadian dollars to keep it alive.