Quantcast

Bike Dads ASSemble! (picking a 20" ride for my 4.5 year old)

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
So... a little while ago my kid got to ride his buddy's 20" Early Rider Hellion on a short trail ride with me. He's got a 16" early rider right now that is pretty cool, except it's single speed(not many 16" whips out there with gears). Breaking into the 20" wheel bikes, I can finally get one with gears. It was a little big for him (his buddy is almost 6 and he's almost 5), but with the gears he pedaled it places that normally he would just rage quit and want to go home on his current bike.
It looks like that ride is gonna cost me about $1,400 since a bike with gears is all he talks about:
7Lll4VVh.jpg

So now here comes the dilemma: I've been looking around and that Early Rider Hellion is pretty dialed. GX derailleur and cassette, 22lbs, decent air fork up front, legit slack head angle, etc. Hellion 20

I also found Flow bikes that also seem to be legit, but they don't really have a price tag on them. 21 lbs, build whatever. I like them because they're based in Truckee, Ca and I like to support US businesses: Flow 20" Custom 10 spd Bike with Manitou Junit fork | flowkidsbikes

Then there's the nukeproof cub scout. It seems to be the cheapest and also has the cheapest parts, but the geo looks dialed. It's also the heaviest at 23.7 lbs and I've found with little kids, the weight is really important for them to feel confident on tech stuff. Nukeproof Cub-Scout 20 Race Bike (Box 4) 2021 | Chain Reaction

Still on the hunt. Any bike dads out there have other recommendations?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this thread is mostly focused on 24" kids bikes, but i'd wager most of the brands also have 20" models.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
My son is now 11 and riding an adult (Small) 26" bike, so I am a bit out of the loop regarding kid bikes.

Several years ago, he had a Spawn Cycles Banshee (16"). That was a truly amazing kids bike. Super light and well thought out. I suggest you check them out.

The 20" Yama Jama is probably an awesome high-end bike for a kid if you have the budget for it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fwiw my son just turned 7, and last year when he was 6 we got him on a Giant STP 24. they make 20" models as well. maybe not as high end builds or as light as the ones you listed, but also much less expensive. i have taken my son on some easy local trails and it has had no issues. came with hydraulic disc brakes (kid size levers too), 42t 9 speed 1x drivetrain. anything that may brake on it would easily be replaceable.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
fwiw my son just turned 7, and last year when he was 6 we got him on a Giant STP 24. they make 20" models as well

I do like the giant. I'm so anti grip shift though that I'm not sure I could bear the thought of it being the first thing my kid learns to shift on.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I do like the giant. I'm so anti grip shift though that I'm not sure I could bear the thought of it being the first thing my kid learns to shift on.
you could swap it out for a regular shifter and still come in at under the cost of most other options.

the stp 24 we have came with a microshift drivetrain with a normal style trigger shifter.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
you could swap it out for a regular shifter and still come in at under the cost of most other options.

the stp 24 we have came with a microshift drivetrain with a normal style trigger shifter.
yeah, that's an option. His little shredder buddies all have suspension forks and all that jazz. I was toying with the idea of buying a cheaper bike with different geo, selling off the parts and then putting good stuff on. He actually goes pretty hard on his bike, so I don't mind coughing up money for a good one. That and he's got a little brother 3 years behind that'll inherit everything, so it's like a 2 for one deal.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yeah, that's an option. His little shredder buddies all have suspension forks and all that jazz. I was toying with the idea of buying a cheaper bike with different geo, selling off the parts and then putting good stuff on. He actually goes pretty hard on his bike, so I don't mind coughing up money for a good one. That and he's got a little brother 3 years behind that'll inherit everything, so it's like a 2 for one deal.
my son is quite tall for his age, enough so that i skipped 20" and went straight to 24". by the time he outgrows this bike i'll just put him on one of my old 26" bikes.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I got my kid a Commencal Ramones 16" for Christmas 2020 (he was 4 at the time). I should probably start looking for a 20" given lead times and him starting to grow again (he's only like 42"), but he hasn't been super into riding other than in parking lots. I've been really happy with the Commencal though... it had suitably narrow bars & thin grips. I did replace the cable disc brakes with hydraulic Tektros though so I could run the levers closer to the bar for him. Build kit on the Meta HT 20" looks pretty good for a little guy who actually rides trails.

Since my kid isn't really expressing interest in riding on dirt yet, I'll probably just get a Spec Riprock 20, which is way cheaper than anything with a suspension fork. And, it comes in red. Because for little kids that matters a lot.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I got my kid a Commencal Ramones 16" for Christmas 2020 (he was 4 at the time). I should probably start looking for a 20" given lead times and him starting to grow again (he's only like 42"), but he hasn't been super into riding other than in parking lots. I've been really happy with the Commencal though... it had suitably narrow bars & thin grips. I did replace the cable disc brakes with hydraulic Tektros though so I could run the levers closer to the bar for him. Build kit on the Meta HT 20" looks pretty good for a little guy who actually rides trails.

Since my kid isn't really expressing interest in riding on dirt yet, I'll probably just get a Spec Riprock 20, which is way cheaper than anything with a suspension fork. And, it comes in red. Because for little kids that matters a lot.
the ramones 24 was on my short list, but the giant won out because it was actually available at the time.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
the ramones 24 was on my short list, but the giant won out because it was actually available at the time.
The commencals are super rad. They are pretty heavy tho. One of our neighbors bought their kid a ramones 14 when he was 3 and it was beefy as heck. Probably weighed twice as much as the 14" woom my kid was on at the time.

this thread is mostly focused on 24" kids bikes, but i'd wager most of the brands also have 20" models.

I just discovered the 20" full suspension norco through that link. Nope nope nope. Not healthy for me to have that list at all. Gonna have to put the blinders back on.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
My kids were on Spesh hardtails through 20", no complaints. When my daughter was able to ride a 24 I got her a Rocky Mountain Reaper FS which has served her well. She's outgrown it now so it's going to my son. The biggest PITA is finding dropper posts that work with lightweight riders. There's more options for that now than there was a few years ago.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
wait till you see the transition ripcord
Yeah, when my oldest is big enough for a 24", it's gonna be hard not to go completely off the rails and get him something really nice. I kinda want him to actually care and try to work for something like that first though.

Right now his biggest ask is a bike with gears and a front shock. Not too bad for a 4 year old.

My kids were on Spesh hardtails through 20", no complaints. When my daughter was able to ride a 24 I got her a Rocky Mountain Reaper FS which has served her well. She's outgrown it now so it's going to my son. The biggest PITA is finding dropper posts that work with lightweight riders. There's more options for that now than there was a few years ago.
Looks like the trailcraft bikes come with an optional KS 75 mm dropper that I'm guessing is pretty kid specific?

"KS LEV Si 75mm "

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yeah, when my oldest is big enough for a 24", it's gonna be hard not to go completely off the rails and get him something really nice. I kinda want him to actually care and try to work for something like that first though.

Right now his biggest ask is a bike with gears and a front shock. Not too bad for a 4 year old.

Looks like the trailcraft bikes come with an optional KS 75 mm dropper that I'm guessing is pretty kid specific?

"KS LEV Si 75mm "
Yeah, KS and PNW have options now. There's probably more.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

"KS LEV Si 75mm "
Personally I'm not convinced the amount of benefit a 20 suspension fork provides is worth the weight.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I got my kid one of those fat tyred Trek Roscoes. Every kids suspension fork I saw did more harm than good in my opinion.
The RST spex on his little buddy's 20" seemed to work decently well. Gotta make sure you got the right air pressure and all that, but I don't see why it would be a hinderance

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Good running conversation in that previous thread. My two cents are:

Purchased a 20" bike used for my 6yr-old when the uncertainty of when or if the Spawn I ordered would arrive. Was a Commencal Ramones with 2.5" tires, aluminum frame, rigid, grip shift and 7 speed gears. Cost me $250. Prior to purchase I thought the tires were too wide, and the gripshift was corny (and potentially difficult to use). I was wrong. The tires are fine, plenty of grip, not too slow and perfect for riding all winter long... with a bit of trail thrown in. He immediately got used to the gripshift and required no instructions from me on how to use it. He loves the bike. Shortly after this one arrived, Spawn's cargo ship got unloaded and they sent the bike. He doesn't know about it yet, but there's an even sweeter ride in a box under the stairs. The rigid fork with fatter tires has been just fine for him. Light enough that he can pull it up a bit, and overall the bike is not too heavy.

The Spawns do have a nicer parts spec. Whatever you get though, the kid will love it. The experience is 100% more important than the equipment. These bikes we're talking about are far and away better than what I rode at this age, and it sure as hell didn't affect me in any way. We weren't comparing bikes and quality/spec with each other either... maybe the color or bmx vs not. My bike at this age had solid tires and a coaster brake, and wasn't a cool bmx like my neighbor or brother. Yet, it's what I caught my first genuine air on... and it was great.

247C8A67-B80B-4B0E-89FA-54D15F057F09.jpeg
AB1B3523-F4D2-48B4-A2BE-7E13F813443C.jpeg
3B7A593C-957A-4CBC-A2E0-D3125CC4165A.jpeg
2C4F7B95-4F4F-46AF-BE82-77B5CCE9B2AB.jpeg
AE34A92A-B756-472E-BEA4-1941FB74518A.jpeg

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Here ya go :D

To be fair, my little Princess (7yo) does the Woom thing. Looking to get her a front suspension bike next. If not an ebike w/ front suspension. That's pricey tho.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Pshhhh, by the time your 2yo turns 4, that bike will be so out of date... :monkeydance:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
He's 5?
Youre mostly greatly over thinking it.
Well yeah. I'm a bike nerd- it's what we do, remember?

And to be fair to him, he's pulling up off of every rock, every broken piece of sidewalk, and every curb he can find right now. So if he's stoked, I'm stoked.

Shoot, he tried to thrown a whip on his stacyc last weekend, and with the 6 inches of air he got, it worked out for him. He barely got the tire back straight, but he actually did it. We had to have a talk after about not trying new shit at WOT, but I think he could tell I was more excited that he pulled it than angry.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. and it's nice to be able to buy them nice things.
Mine all had second hand and hand me down speciailized hardtails at that age. Not the lightest but perfectly capable little bikes meticulously maintained by their bike nerd dad. Even got the cheap forks working well for them. ;)

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
The commencals are super rad. They are pretty heavy tho. One of our neighbors bought their kid a ramones 14 when he was 3 and it was beefy as heck. Probably weighed twice as much as the 14" woom my kid was on at the time.

I just discovered the 20" full suspension norco through that link. Nope nope nope. Not healthy for me to have that list at all. Gonna have to put the blinders back on.
how about a used one?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah. and it's nice to be able to buy them nice things.
Mine all had second hand and hand me down speciailized hardtails at that age. Not the lightest but perfectly capable little bikes meticulously maintained by their bike nerd dad. Even got the cheap forks working well for them. ;)
this is what I did. Nicely fitted little hotrock or whatever. Sus forks are mostly useless at this age and pricepoint- the weight is worse than the performance...but it's got light alloy rims, a nice fitting saddle, good bars and stem and the brakes work. It's better than any bike I had until I was 15 and spent $650 on it, and even that is questionable!

that being said, it sounds like your kid is a ripper, so get him what he needs. My son will barely touch a bike and my daughter isn't really interested in off-roading, so it's mostly bike paths and shredding the front yard. No need for disk brakes there.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I stuck Kai on a skuut bike at 2 and a ktm pro 50sr at 4...wasn't alot of choices 10 years ago...so we opted mx...

I look around today and there's a ton of badass little bikes now ..buddy has one with a single crown shiver lol...his kid rips he just moved up to 26"...

Now that these kids can start earlier the future is going to be fun to watch...they won't know they can't....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
You're not going to get quality for cheap with the quantity they're building. And every now and then there are used ones for sale.
Yeah, it’s just stunning. I suppose in my mind it’s smaller, less refined somehow, and therefore should be cheaper, but it is the same price as a regular mtb suspension fork.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Bit late to the party, but since moving to Colorado another vote for Trailcraft. These things are everywhere here!

They are set up well, use custom short cranks that are size specific, you can get them with a dropper and the bikes are light. I see them in the elementary school bike racks with XTR brakes and other craziness..... :eek:

I've got a Ripcord we held onto from the older boy, but the little one's only 5 so a ways off from riding that. I found a 26" front wheel for it so it's currently juniors first mullet. :rockout:

I think a Trailcraft 20" will be a perfect pre-Transition transition from his single speed bike.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Kiddo's Prevelo showed up yesterday. We chose no dropper since at the time of ordering he was just barely able to put a leg over one, but now a month later, he could totally use a dropper with 3" of stroke. Might have to go hunt for one.
My wife had him put it together(she did a bolt check after) before I got home from work so we could go ride as soon as I got home from work.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Bit late to the party, but since moving to Colorado another vote for Trailcraft. These things are everywhere here!

They are set up well, use custom short cranks that are size specific, you can get them with a dropper and the bikes are light. I see them in the elementary school bike racks with XTR brakes and other craziness..... :eek:

I've got a Ripcord we held onto from the older boy, but the little one's only 5 so a ways off from riding that. I found a 26" front wheel for it so it's currently juniors first mullet. :rockout:

I think a Trailcraft 20" will be a perfect pre-Transition transition from his single speed bike.
Price of those things is mad. Are the stickers removable? Trailcraft sounds adjacent to mastercraft/huffy :)