Quantcast

BigHit suspension ?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
jmvar said:
Which hole in my bighit frame will make the suspension more proggressive? Right now I have it on the middle hole....

thanks
Bottom hole of the three on your frame. This will also make the top of the stroke feel pretty soft and linear. You may need to play with your sag a bit if you use it.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
I am running a 500# spring on a vanilla RC. I weight about 185 suited up and I still feel like I blow through travel and believe me I do not go anywhere near "big". I am a very conservative rider (<-pu$$y)....I have also adjusted the preload on the spring to about 3 turns in...

does this sound right? do I need a heavier spring? I will try the bottom setting..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't know the leverage ratio off hand of a big hit, it depends on your shock stroke and amount of travel you have it set for. Most are around 1/3. Thats 1 inch of shock travel for every 3 inches of suspension travel. If this is the case, a 500lb spring shouldn't be too light for your weight. With your shock in the more progressive setting, you'll actually feel like your sagging deeper into the travel initially at rest. Is this your first long travel bike? If it is, it may just be that you're not used to all that suspension. I remember the first time I rode a 9" travel DH bike, I swore I was blowing through the travel on drops. I was only using about 7, I just wasn't used to how if felt.

If you're literally bottoming it out though (you feel an abrupt stop and probably hear some sort of smack) then something else is going on like a higher leverage ratio or maybe your spring has too much preload on it and the spring is compressing on itself. If you're not feeling that harsh bottom, you've still got some travel left.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
kidwoo said:
Bottom hole of the three on your frame. This will also make the top of the stroke feel pretty soft and linear. You may need to play with your sag a bit if you use it.
No, bottom hole is the most linear (or regressive it it's going to come to that), the top hole is the most progressive one (assuming we're talking about the holes where the shock link mounts to the front triangle)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
If you are blowing through the travel, mount the shock in the hole closest to the seat stays. Yes you will get a hair less travel, but there will be less leverage on the shock = a stiffer ride. More travel does not always = better.

B

bighitfsr

If your not bottoming hard (clunk/crack/thud) then the suspensions setup perfectly.

I'm the same weight as you with all my gear on and on the 6.3" bighit with a fox R I was hitting 8ft drops to transitions and using all the travel but not bottoming hard. The 6 inch has a similar leverage ratio to the 8.1 and I was running a 600lb spring. I was going to drop the spring rate at least 50lb but ended up upgrading the shock and linkage (you'd also want a slightly softer setup for the longer travel BH).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
thaflyinfatman said:
No, bottom hole is the most linear (or regressive it it's going to come to that), the top hole is the most progressive one (assuming we're talking about the holes where the shock link mounts to the front triangle)
Hmm. Taken from specialized's question and answer section if you don't believe me or the text on the frames.

Big Hit DH rear shock settings
Question

Hi, can you explain me what is the difference between the 2 holes on the link, and the 3 holes on the frame... What is the difference in travel? Which is the setting for more travel?

Answer
In 2003 the BigHit DH has 4 holes in the link and 3 in the frame.
The 3 in the frame will change how progressive, or not, the shock acts. The bottom hole on the frame will make the shock more progressive while the top hole will make it more linear in action. This leaves the middle hole to allow for a neutral position. The 3 holes do not change the travel at all.
The 4 holes in the link allow for 2 travel distances and 2 bottom bracket heights.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
kidwoo said:
Hmm. Taken from specialized's question and answer section if you don't believe me or the text on the frames.

Big Hit DH rear shock settings
Question

Hi, can you explain me what is the difference between the 2 holes on the link, and the 3 holes on the frame... What is the difference in travel? Which is the setting for more travel?

Answer
In 2003 the BigHit DH has 4 holes in the link and 3 in the frame.
The 3 in the frame will change how progressive, or not, the shock acts. The bottom hole on the frame will make the shock more progressive while the top hole will make it more linear in action. This leaves the middle hole to allow for a neutral position. The 3 holes do not change the travel at all.
The 4 holes in the link allow for 2 travel distances and 2 bottom bracket heights.
Derr, sorry I'm retarded! You're completely right, I forgot bighits' progression is adjusted at the shock fixed mount, not the shock LINK fixed mount (like on M1s)... sorry! You're right, lowest hole = most progressive.