Quantcast

biggest dent in a while

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
Thought I would share it with you guys (see attached image). Doesn't seem that it will cause any clearance problems so I think I'm going to let it be. bike sustained more damage than I did on this one.

Cheers,

Andy

Attachments

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
KobaltBlau said:
Thought I would share it with you guys (see attached image). Doesn't seem that it will cause any clearance problems so I think I'm going to let it be. bike sustained more damage than I did on this one.

Cheers,

Andy
Might cause some foldage problems.

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
oh yeah, I guess how it happened is important. I adjusted my rear suspension to raise the rear (multiple shock mount holes), and dropped the front end down a little via the triple clamps. Besides which, I haven't really ridden a mountain bike in a couple of years (!) so I was in a very rocky downhill section approaching a switchback, and it was one of those where both wheels drop into a hole at the same time and hello-endo! lots of time to think about the 2 big rocks that I, and the bike, were about to land on. you guys know how it goes. Those chainstays with the CNC-thinned walls are really quite thin, I guess.

maybe I should have posted this in a different forum but what I was doing wasn't exactly "downhill" so I wasn't sure.

Cheers,

Andy

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
jaydee said:
Might cause some foldage problems.
Think so? I mean, at least it's not a hardtail. here's a wider angle attached (click). Thanks for your input.

edit: nothing against hardtails; I just imagine the seatstays have it tougher on a hard tail than they do on a suspended bike.

Attachments

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
it looks like its a lot worse than it is in the first picture, the second doesnt look so bad, but I would go to your LBS and get it checked out. the rear triangle on a full-suspension still takes a beating

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
hooples3 said:
it looks like its a lot worse than it is in the first picture, the second doesnt look so bad, but I would go to your LBS and get it checked out. the rear triangle on a full-suspension still takes a beating
I agree with Hooples3. That stay may still have a long and happy life, but it would make me nervous to be ripping a downhill with that big dent. Aluminum isn't the strongest stuff after it's been bent.

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
Thanks, fellas. I guess the question is really whether I am willing (am scared enough) to pay $250 for a new one. I'm thinking a bit about getting a new frame anyway. The rest of the frame doesn't have major dents, but it has a ton of hard miles on it. I'm riding tonight so we'll see if the stay implodes. Maybe I'll show it to a mechanical engineer friend instead of the LBS, who I think would recommend a new part (why wouldn't they?).

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I put similar dents in stays before and both times it was bad enough to make the frame out of alignment. However, with an Intense, the dent may have actually improved the alignment... ;) Reagardless, as long as it still shifts ok and the tires don't rub, I wouldn't worry about it. I've raced on worse and lived...

( <-- former Intense owner)

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
Ian F said:
However, with an Intense, the dent may have actually improved the alignment... ;)
Oh, that was low! :D This frame is probably 97 or 98 or something, so if it came misaligned from the factory, it has been so for a very long time. I suppose I could have a LBS check the frame alignment since I don't have the tools.

Anyway, it shifts at least as well and nothing is even close to rubbing. I'll still think on it a bit.