Quantcast

Big Hit Geometry Question

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I've started racing collegiate DH on my 03' Big Hit Expert frame with custom build and I'm considering putting a BETD 26" stay kit on it. I can feel the 24" rear wheel slowing me down in alot of sections in comparison to my old Ellsworth Joker. I found a used BETD kit for $200. My question is this; will the geometry get too funky with the new stays?

I currently have a 888r on it with stock crowns and the link set in the (C) steep head angle / high bb setting, so that the head tube angle is not too slack. I like the angles, but feel the bb is too high. The BETD kit claims to raise the bb 5mm, and lengthen the wheelbase by 20mm. The head tube angle with a boxxer comes in at about 65 degrees (I assume this is in the (A) low bb, slack ht angle setting). Those numbers sound good, I could put the link in the A setting and get a reasonable bb height, but with the 888r the head tube angle would be really slack it seems... I realize Risse/Go-Ride crowns are an option, but that is just more $$$ to spend.

I'd like some feedback on sorting all this out. What do you think the race worthiness of this bike will be once all this is sorted out? I can get a swinger 6 way for cheap, so I'll probably end up getting one of those before next season too.

Thanks

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
It sounds like a lot of work to end up with a bike that might not handle that well, the big hit was designed around a 24" wheel and tinkering around with that will compromise something. For all the upgrades you're considering (rear triangle, wheel, crowns, shock) I'd sell the big hit frame and find something else with the geometry you want with a 26" rear wheel. I predict there'll be a lot of '03-'04 DHRs and V10's that will come up for sale at a reasonable price over the next several months, as people are looking toward the new IH bikes.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Thats a good idea, how much do you think I could get for a Medium 2003 Big Hit Expert Frame with normal scratches, but in perfect working order? (I'd throw in rear wheel, headset, seatpost, etc.)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I couldn't tell ya, try the buy and sell forums or track one on ebay to get an idea. I'd expect $650 or so depending on how good you are at marketing stuff.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Thanks man. If anyone reading this is looking for a big hit let me know. (I'll probably hold onto it until the last Plattekill race in November)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I wish I had the cash. I would buy the linkage plate and even shock in a second. Should be an easy sell with everything you are offering though

BlackDiamond

Chimp
Jan 25, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Roasted said:
I wish I had the cash. I would buy the linkage plate and even shock in a second. Should be an easy sell with everything you are offering though
Well find a way to get it you know you want it. Just remember the 03' expert uses a different link than your Comp does so buying just that link and shock is not an option for you. But $600 for a frame sounds like a good deal.

Oh yea!

B

bighitfsr

Seriously the 24" is probably not whats slowing you down.
The joker is a high forward single pivot thats semi active with a DH sized chain ring. The joker should pedal better by design and its lighter.

24s are slightly more prone to loosing in extreemly rocky conditions momentum than 26.

The BETD 26" conversion makes your chainstay and inch longer and raises the BB. I would instead stick with the 24 get lowrider crowns for the 888R and run your geometry setting in the slack/low BB mode. The lower BB, lower front end and slacker head angle will make the bike hold its speed much better in the corners.

High forward single pivots and FSRs have different traits and need to be ridden in a way that takes advangtage of their design strengths. 4 bars are allways going to be heavier and bob more but they make up for it as they let you stay off the brakes thru superior bump absorbtion, neutral breaking and minimal pedaling feedback.

If you really feel the 24 is slowing you down buy a new frameset.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I personally like my Big Hit with the steeper angles... with a tall fork they are slack enough and the front end tends to step out a lot if it's that slack. I wouldn't get the linkage. The CS length would be too long and it would handle like a pig. Just ride what you have. It's a great DH bike.