Quantcast

big hands=thick grips???

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
need some feedback form guys with big hands, do you guys run thicker grips? the trend seems to be going to thinner and thinner grips, and right now my ruffian grips are really worn out and i am having trouble with them. i feel that my grips are bouncing around in my hands. and i really need to grip them pretty tight to stop them from moving around. i know you should be relaxed but if i relax too much and they bounce around they the top of my palm a bit. its starting to bother me now. i get blisters too sometimes after a long day of riding.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I have big hands too, and I tried the ODI Ruffian's this year, and wasn't too psyched about them. I've always run ODI Rogue's and they seem to fit my hands better and feel more comfortable.

The larger the diameter the more I feel like I have something to grab on to - but there is a limit. The Ruffian's seem to get lost in my hands and just rub the sh!t out of the top part of my palms...

That's just my experience though...

I'd say give the Rogue's a try.

Enduro

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
A country with no mountains
I've got pretty big hands. When I switched to Oury's, the difference was unreal. Got a pair for my xc bike too. I can't ride a bike with thin or normal grips any more. Sometimes I even wish for something even thicker, but then again I am used to holding something thicker..

You should try some, they're not that expensive.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
For me it's not so much a question of diameter but more one of firmness... I have fairly large hands and have run the Ruffians for a long time, and I like how firm/stiff/hard they are. Seems that larger diameter grips have more "squish" to them and I feel like I have to grip them tighter, and my hands and forearms get tired more quickly. Same thing happens when my Ruffians wear out, the rubber gets squishy and my hands get tired more quickly.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
big hand + big grips for the most part. i have a hard time with thin grips most of the time my self. i feel like i have to squeeze my hand to hold on well.

i personally really like the oury grips. i have been riding them for years now and still have not found a better grip for me. i do wish they were just a hear softer though

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
I have large hands and in the past have had a lot of trouble with small grips. My hands would get really sore because the same problem. The grip would get lost in my hand and i would over compensate with a death grip. I switched to Ruffian and that was much better. One other thing and i dont know if this is just me, so take it for what it is worth. I switched from a DH Monkey Lite carbon bar to an Aluminum bar and i believe the vibtration is less and is a little more forgiving. I just think the Carbon bar was to stiff for me. Like i said just a theory of mine. This year i am also going to try the Sunline thick grips i think they will be awesome.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've got big hands (XL gloves) and I run thin grips for more control. I hate squirmy grips.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i have man-sized hands and have been using rogues on all my bikes for years now.

when i've tried narrower grips i get more hand fatigue.

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
I use xl gloves and run the ODI yeti grips, they are a bit thicker than the other ODI's and I reckon they feel fantastic.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I have really big hands (size 12 glove usually) and I like the thinner grip for a more direct and precise feel, but anything thinner then a Ruffian MX (Ruffian with the waffle grip) and the ends of my fingers will bottom out against my palm before I can get a grip, which makes the grip rattle and shift constantly in my hand.

Ive been using WTB 4 front grips for several pairs on all my bikes now. They are pretty thin and more importantly not squishy. They have a little bit of an ergo fit-buldge which especially allows my long middle and ring fingers to fullly grip. But they are still thin in your thumb cradle and dont feel very big.

For people with big hands that dont like big, squishy grips I really would suggest trying them.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I generally find that the big hands = big grips rule runs true. Or, at least, guys with small hands don't like big grips. I know a bunch of big guys that run Intense ODIs or Ruffians. I have small hands (usually medium gloves these days) and like Ruffians. I feel I have more control than with Rogues or others.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I like bigger grips, size large or xl depending, I use rogues, I have had the yeti grips but they tend to give blisters because the raised letters are the only contact points.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I posted a similar thread recently. I like thin, firm grips for trail riding, but they kill my hands and wrists on rocky Dh because I have to hold the smaller diameter bar wierd, so I'm moving up to thicker grips.

I have some Ourys and the thick Sunlines on order and going to try them both.

ape

Chimp
Jan 15, 2007
I have medium big hands and the thin ones make my hands cramp up especially if I'm off the bike for a little while so I roll with Rogues. A friend is currently holding onto these ESI silicone grips that feel pretty good but I'm waiting to see how he likes them a few months from now when the weather turns slimey.

NOOP

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
I have ridden Oury lock-on's for several years, and they are, by far, the best grips for me. The rubber compound is very good (not to squishy & not too firm) and the thickness has proven to be just right.

I tried the ODI Ruffians, Sunline's and Lizard Skin lock-ons. The ODI's and Sunline grips were just too thin... the Lizard Skin's were pretty good, but they were larger than the Oury's and a little firmer. They would probably be my second choice. Again, give the Oury's a try. You'll like them.