Quantcast

Big Caliper Little Rotor vs Opposite

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If someone offered a bike with a different rear caliper with different pads the "this is what's wrong with the industry" would blow up for weeks.
Didn't Magura or Formula offer a brake set that was double piston front, single piston rear to balance the power? And FSA or something specced different wall thickness hoses F&R to account for the hose length and expansion.

So someone has at least given it a go, whether it be worth it or not.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Didn't Magura or Formula offer a brake set that was double piston front, single piston rear to balance the power? And FSA or something specced different wall thickness hoses F&R to account for the hose length and expansion.

So someone has at least given it a go, whether it be worth it or not.
Magura did this with the MT Trail Sport (basically MT5s with a 2 piston rear).

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So 9 sets of limited Ed MAVENs turned up today

_20240305_205134.JPG

_20240305_205045.JPG

The lever is noticeably stiffer than a code during the free stroke but unless you're a vegan dweeb who prefers hanging half filled bottles of tap water from your brakes to actually riding your bike it's nothing even your pinkie finger would struggle to cope with. The lever resistance also definitely does lessen by quite a bit by the time you've reached the pads bite point.(lever swinglink/cam is way different to the codes. Naturally)

The big red cum splattered calipers are the largest and hands down ugliest bicycle brake calipers I've ever seen. And that's saying something with some of the fucked up stuff you find on some of the shitters I've worked on.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
So 9 sets of limited Ed MAVENs turned up today

View attachment 208640

View attachment 208641

The lever is noticeably stiffer than a code during the free stroke but unless you're a vegan dweeb who prefers hanging half filled bottles of tap water from your brakes to actually riding your bike it's nothing even your pinkie finger would struggle to cope with. The lever resistance also definitely does lessen by quite a bit by the time you've reached the pads bite point.(lever swinglink/cam is way different to the codes. Naturally)

The big red cum splattered calipers are the largest and hands down ugliest bicycle brake calipers I've ever seen. And that's saying something with some of the fucked up stuff you find on some of the shitters I've worked on.
Looks and sounds terrible.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Looks terrible. Sounds like a bicycle brake. (clue: they're all very slightly different)
Don't overthinking it and I'll bet it's absolutely fine.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oh... Should probably have mentioned Tried out the Mavens earlier... 200mm rear rotor, 220 front on a 180mm 25kg Emtb. Erm... What can I say Ridiculously Powerful even with fresh non bedded in pads. The lever return stiffness doesn't seem like an issue for me at all. Infact once the lever reach adjust is wound in so bite point is close to the bar the lever action actually becomes seriously light.. Seriously easy to lock the front wheel.
Nicest part is you don't really see how ugly those calipers are while riding unless you intentionally try to.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh... Should probably have mentioned Tried out the Mavens earlier... 200mm rear rotor, 220 front on a 180mm 25kg Emtb. Erm... What can I say Ridiculously Powerful even with fresh non bedded in pads. The lever return stiffness doesn't seem like an issue for me at all. Infact once the lever reach adjust is wound in so bite point is close to the bar the lever action actually becomes seriously light.. Seriously easy to lock the front wheel.
Nicest part is you don't really see how ugly those calipers are while riding unless you intentionally try to.
after looking at pictures of the pinkbike review staff, i understand why they would complain the lever is too stiff.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
after looking at pictures of the pinkbike review staff, i understand why they would complain the lever is too stiff.
I heard they've all now been put on a training program where they have to use part filled water containers for finger curl exercises starting at 5ml in thimbles

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I heard they've all now been put on a training program where they have to use part filled water containers for finger curl exercises starting at 5ml in thimbles
they're not racers and thus not subject to WADA (DICK POUND). blast 'em with some HGH and call it a day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

If someone doesn't have toddler hands why do they need "the worlds most powerful MTB brake"?

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
How good are your nose manuals? Can you go round switch backs? How much do you weigh? what kind of dirt are your local trails? How steep?
Front range trails, Colorado, so loose over rock, lots of switchbacks, summer time = most rides from my door are ~ 2,500 vert feet. I'm probably 190lbs geared up. I don't generally need to do nose manuals, because 27.5.

And I don't run SRAM brake pads, that might help. Truckerco pads grip well and are cheaper, too.