Quantcast

Big boy bike fit

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
So, another big boy question.

Im geetting some smidges of coaching from a pro friend, in my pursuit to stop half-assing; Generally putting in actual effort, and seeking faster/better riders to ride with etc..

Making progress, getting fit - but now Im concerned with fit of bike. At 6'8" with a 38.5" inseam and 37.5 arms - I dont get to ride many very large bikes other than my own to feel them out. I will be switching to an actual DH Frame vs the VPFree I am using now, but one thing came up while being coached was stem/bar height and reach. He pointed out I was super crouched and a bit too far off the back -- not ideal when things get real fast. He suggested raising the bars, possiblly longer stem.

I am currently running FSA 800's on the stock MZ 53mm direct mount. What are the other giants out there running? I would need some kind of clamp stem with rise as this is an XL, and the crowns are maxed and cant be raised.

BTW the frames I am considering, largely because they can be got in XL are Evil Revolt or Turner DHR DW (They will possibly do runs of XL DHR's per DT)

Something about the Ventana El Cuervo turns me off, although I know they are quality bikes, and will make custom sizes.

Last edited:

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
look at the rotec's, they seem to be made large.

to bad swd is no longer around, he made a few custom frames for friends of mine who are also tall

for me, 6'6" i run wide bars rotated way forward, and usually around a 60 mm stem

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I'm 6'7 and run 800mm gravity bars, 67mm marzocchi stem, and 12mm of spacers. The largest dh bike I've found is the first generation v10. My large has a 48 1/4 wheelbase.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I rode an older Kona Stab Deluxe large. I'm only 6'1", but that bike was longer than any other large i've ridden. Seems like a lot of bikes these days aren't actually larges anymore. They are more like mediums.
There's a kid at the LBS that also rides the same Kona i was riding. He's about 6'5". I couldn't imagine finding a bike when you're that tall. Good lord.

I think the Canfield Bros make some of their bikes in XL. You should check their stuff out. They might be able to custom make one for you.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Revolt is in XL, Banshee Legend will be made with a bit longer than normal TT and Nicolai and Zumbi do custom geo so look at their offers as they seem like the best choice if you want it fit like a glove ;)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
the WB on that XL revolt looks f-ing small for an XL. 46.6 inches? Srsly? There is a way to get your XL vp-free to be a 64 HA and 14in BB with a 49.5 WB (mostly in the CS). PM me for details. I'm 6'7" with a 37-ish inseam and with 30in bars it feels as good as I could hope.

Last edited:

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
I got Scott (dirtdigger on here) to make me a custom long/large Katipo.
I'm 6'3" and it has a 47" wheelbase with short (sub 17") stays. It's well nice!!

Stems, bars and spacers ain't going to affect the all important wheelbase! A man of your size will need a long frame and WB.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I second checking out Katipo. At 6'8" you'll be compromising a lot not to be on a custom frame.

I have a buddy who is 6'9", and when he was riding DH he had a large V10 (back when a large V10 was huuuuuge) with a 100mm stem. It was weird.

The Katipo's look very well executed, it will fit you properly, and the price is unbeatable. It's something like $900 US for a frame because of a favorable exchange rate.

Here's the link to the Katipo thread:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216640&highlight=katipo

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
you can get MZ direct mount stems on chain reaction that are another 1 cms longer than you have thats a good start. a 53mm stem for you is way too small. If you want to raise the stack get a drop crown for your 888 on chain reaction too.
As for frames its difficult but the xl revolt isn't that big look at the top tube size. The new v-10s are quite small. Im close to 6'6 and I ride a socom which is slightly bigger than v10 but because the front end is steep it feels smallish. I have measured tons of downhill frames from the bb to the bottom of the headtube and they all measure out about the same. I think the new XL Turner DHX sounds promising thats probably my next frame. Maybe some bike manufacutrers would like to take notice.

oh yeah forgot... in the last dirtmag I remember reading k-9 industries are going to release an XL framset. think it is quite pricey but sounds like its very well put together.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
you can get MZ direct mount stems on chain reaction that are another 1 cms longer than you have thats a good start. a 53mm stem for you is way too small. If you want to raise the stack get a drop crown for your 888 on chain reaction too.
As for frames its difficult but the xl revolt isn't that big look at the top tube size. The new v-10s are quite small. Im close to 6'6 and I ride a socom which is slightly bigger than v10 but because the front end is steep it feels smallish. I have measured tons of downhill frames from the bb to the bottom of the headtube and they all measure out about the same. I think the new XL Turner DHX sounds promising thats probably my next frame. Maybe some bike manufacutrers would like to take notice.

oh yeah forgot... in the last dirtmag I remember reading k-9 industries are going to release an XL framset. think it is quite pricey but sounds like its very well put together.
I already have the MZ drop crown, fork wont fit on bike without it due to large headtube. I may try the 67mm stem if I can find it (off to look on CRC! thx..) - I can also reaise the bar height by lowering the fork in the stanchions a little giving me more room to lift the top crown -- but steepends HA a tiny bit (why I have them fully extended in the 1st place.)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I already have the MZ drop crown, fork wont fit on bike without it due to large headtube. I may try the 67mm stem if I can find it (off to look on CRC! thx..) - I can also reaise the bar height by lowering the fork in the stanchions a little giving me more room to lift the top crown -- but steepends HA a tiny bit (why I have them fully extended in the 1st place.)
Just go with a company that does custom geo and be happy. There were already quite a few topics about them with many companies listed so get yourself a custom bike and stop messing with your cockpit.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Just go with a company that does custom geo and be happy. There were already quite a few topics about them with many companies listed so get yourself a custom bike and stop messing with your cockpit.
Agreed, you can fiddle with everything on the bike all day long, but it's like putting a wing on a Festiva, it's never going to be what you want and it's never going to be quite right.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
A good choice would be a couple year old Ventana. Their large was very large and those frames can be had for cheap. They didn't break and Ventana has a very good repair/refurb program to keep that bike going for years.
I know 6ft tall guys riding mediums. You will just need to develop a riding style tailored to smaller frames. The problem with BIG bikes is the stupid long wheelbase. Get in the woods and you can't turn the damn things.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
A good choice would be a couple year old Ventana. Their large was very large and those frames can be had for cheap. They didn't break and Ventana has a very good repair/refurb program to keep that bike going for years.
I know 6ft tall guys riding mediums. You will just need to develop a riding style tailored to smaller frames. The problem with BIG bikes is the stupid long wheelbase. Get in the woods and you can't turn the damn things.
Partly why I have avoided custom frames - ludicrous wheelbases, and knowing that many riders like an undersized bike - normally including me, concedeing the cockpit fit -- otherwise the VPF is plent big; I have always ridden undersized and been OK with it for the most part; Despite comments on the Revolt, I got a spin on one, and counter to feedback, it felt very roomy!

Im curious to hear from any very tall guys riding non-custom frames, what you're riding and what your 'cockpit' setup is.

Last edited:

pajamas

Chimp
May 23, 2009
Antidote Life Line will be available custom. You should get something like a 440mm reach, maybe even 445mm.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I'm 6'6" and ride a large Sinister Splinter (24.5" TTT). I prefer a shorter stem (50mm) I find that this combo works well for me. I have recently started riding a smaller HT with the same stem. Since the stack heights are identical on the 2 bikes (I swapped the fork and added a spacer or 2), I can say that a proper stack height seems to make a massive difference. I was running a lower stack and longer stem on the HT, but it never felt right. Now it feels much more natural, even though the TTT is a full inch shorter than on my other bike.

Talk to Frank @ Sinister, he'll hook you up.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I also know that Sinister will make custom builds, with no worries about weird geo or any concerns about quality. I know Frank made an R9 for a guy about your size (Actually, I think that guy was 6'9") a while back, and he has offered to do a custom F-Bomb for me.