Quantcast

"Big" bikes for everyday "XC?"

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Who else is riding a big bike for everyday use? My AC weighs in at about 40lbs, the three other guys I ride with ride a Big Hit (41), a RM Switch (35ish) and an RM6 (37). We did a 21 mile, 5 hour power ride through the north and south sides of Arcadia Ntl. Forest yeterday, and let me tell you, I am burger!:eek: :p

But seriously, I love my bike, and while there were a few very painful moments during our adventure, I'd not trade in my rig for a lightwieght ride for anything!:thumb: My Isis was 6lbs lighter, but was way bouncier.

This year is gona rip!:D

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I think more and more people are riding the bike that suits there riding style best, not what's an XC bike or a FR bike, whatever.

Friends of mine are also riding bigger, not necessarily trail bikes, on the trail. I rode this Sunday with a guy riding a 38 lb .243. and he's building an Azonic Sager that should weigh in at 36. I also feel that that's why you see 'XC' bikes with 5" of travel nowadays.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by spincrazy
I think more and more people are riding the bike that suits there riding style best, not what's an XC bike or a FR bike, whatever.

Friends of mine are also riding bigger, not necessarily trail bikes, on the trail. I rode this Sunday with a guy riding a 38 lb .243. and he's building an Azonic Sager that should weigh in at 36. I also feel that that's why you see 'XC' bikes with 5" of travel nowadays.
I agree on the longer travel trail bikes theory. Vertically challenged my a$$!:thumb:

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by VTinCT
I agree on the longer travel trail bikes theory. Vertically challenged my a$$!:thumb:
Yeah, long travel bikes are fun on the desecents once you get to the top...but it's not as much fun when you have a ride with 10-15 miles of climbing and over 5k of elevation change. Then you are cursing those 40 pounds.

Still, for rides that I don't have as much climbing to do I really like taking my AC1 out. So much fun flying over rocks, roots, etc.

zibbler

Monkey
There's a guy we ride with sometimes that has a Kapriel Armageddon with a 10" travel fork! I don't know how much it weighs, but I would guess at least 55 lbs. He does a lot of big jumps and drops, but also likes to ride xc on it. :eek:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have a 27 pounder and a 38 pounder... both full squishies. I'll take the light one if I think a lot of climbing is involved. I remember when XC bikes came stock with 1.65s... now most of the zippy new ones come with minimum 2.1s - weight means a lot less now than it did 10 years ago.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by zibbler
There's a guy we ride with sometimes that has a Kapriel Armageddon with a 10" travel fork! I don't know how much it weighs, but I would guess at least 55 lbs. He does a lot of big jumps and drops, but also likes to ride xc on it. :eek:
That's just weird. But since you guys don't have alot of climbing to deal with, it might actually be kinda fun.

I'll totally tear up an XC ride on my AC. I may not be the fastest climber on it, but I'm comfy.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
my bike weighs in at a svelte #25. I've ridden a heavier bike, and being a little person I don't like riding any more weight than I have to.

geargrrl

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Joe Pozer
Yeah, long travel bikes are fun on the desecents once you get to the top...but it's not as much fun when you have a ride with 10-15 miles of climbing and over 5k of elevation change. Then you are cursing those 40 pounds.

Still, for rides that I don't have as much climbing to do I really like taking my AC1 out. So much fun flying over rocks, roots, etc.
Just makes you stronger and when you do it enough, you don't feel it.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Just makes you stronger and when you do it enough, you don't feel it.
No thank you...too much suffering for me. If I'm on a long travel bike there better be a shuttle truck to take me to the top ;) :D

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Joe Pozer
No thank you...too much suffering for me. If I'm on a long travel bike there better be a shuttle truck to take me to the top ;) :D
Yeah but....

Is 5" x 5" long travel? If so, and even if it isn't, get an adjustable travel bike like mine. ;) :D (3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 4.75 you get the idea) btw, same for the fork.:monkey: Of course, that bike only weighs 27 lbs due to special something somethings.:)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Yes yes. There is rider weight and abuse taken to be taken into account as well. Not everyone, even racers, can ride a sub 23 lb bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i used to ride an intense uzzi slx for xc, but now have gone to the opposite extreme, and sport a fully rigid steel hardtail. so clean are the lines.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Toshi
i used to ride an intense uzzi slx for xc, but now have gone to the opposite extreme, and sport a fully rigid steel hardtail. so clean are the lines.
I just hit Tab. :D

sounds cool. I want a single speed just for the clean lines, simplicity and featherweight of it all. I think an On One would be perfect.

MTBDOC

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Way down south
As a long time FS believer (racing 4" Ellsworth Truth x 4yrs very seriously) I have recently converted to 29" wheels...playing around with a used Fisher Supercaliber while Titus is putting the finishing touches on my Ti hardtail. The difference in comfort, grip, and technical abilities of the big wheels is amazing.

For you long travel guys, try to get a test ride on the new 29" Sugar as it becomes available. They start out around 28-29# from what I have heard...not a lot of travel, but the big wheels roll over things so smoothly that even rigid feels like 2-3" of suspension...

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by MTBDOC
As a long time FS believer (racing 4" Ellsworth Truth x 4yrs very seriously) I have recently converted to 29" wheels...playing around with a used Fisher Supercaliber while Titus is putting the finishing touches on my Ti hardtail. The difference in comfort, grip, and technical abilities of the big wheels is amazing.

For you long travel guys, try to get a test ride on the new 29" Sugar as it becomes available. They start out around 28-29# from what I have heard...not a lot of travel, but the big wheels roll over things so smoothly that even rigid feels like 2-3" of suspension...
Dude, I'm 5'6", if I tried to get over the back of a bike with a 29" wheel, my nuts would get sucked in between the tire and seatstays.

Maybe for the taller crowd. For me, no thanks.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Zibbler, can I ask why someone in Florida needs a 10" travel bike, when there's only like 75 feet of elevation in the whole state? I mean, he could probably safely do a drop from the highest point in FL to the lowest on that bike!

:devil:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
i hate big heavy bikes.

i have a couple of heavier, burlier bikes, but im so OG XC that i can out descend myself on a normal trail on my cx bike compared to any of my beefy bikes.
once you start talking about trails with burly stuff (drops over 4 feet, big lipped jumps) i'll think about riding a bike with some suspension or a more upright position.

i guess since i have the ability to have multiple bikes i can be picky, but I like to be able to ride as fast as i possibly can at all times. the wrong bike isn't gonna make that happen.

I went for a trail ride on my old metalhead yesterday, a bike with a single gear (36/16), a back brake, a suspenion and a 17" saddle height. it was fun, but i would have much rather been on something that had more reasonable gears, a rigid fork and a much longer riding postion.

MTBDOC

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Way down south
Dude, I'm 5'6", if I tried to get over the back of a bike with a 29" wheel, my nuts would get sucked in between the tire and seatstays.
I hear you...on the MTBR 29er board, there have been several threads about smaller riders. The smallest rider I have heard of is 5'4"...My wife is 5'5" and I would like to find her a small Fisher to test. She basically just rides over everything, which is what the big wheels excel at.

If you ever get a chance to try one that fits you, you might be surprised. On REALLY steep downhills, the higher front axle height and improved "roll-over" ability make these things incredibly stable. In a race last week, I was amazed at how effortless straight dropoffs were. Much harder to fly over the bars!

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by sub6
Zibbler, can I ask why someone in Florida needs a 10" travel bike, when there's only like 75 feet of elevation in the whole state? I mean, he could probably safely do a drop from the highest point in FL to the lowest on that bike!

Because he, like many of us other flatlanders, travel out of state to ride. He often makes trips to Utah, Colo. and BC. Our local MTB club does organized trips to N. Carolina 2-3 times a year, and Colo. once a year. Also, because of the lack of elevation, we have many man-made things here much like they have in BC. The TOE in Tampa is a good example, and our local trail here is shaping up the same.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Yeah but....

Is 5" x 5" long travel? If so, and even if it isn't, get an adjustable travel bike like mine. ;) :D (3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 4.75 you get the idea) btw, same for the fork.:monkey: Of course, that bike only weighs 27 lbs due to special something somethings.:)
You're right...the lines are getting blurred nowadays about what a trail bike really is. A bike like yours I consider to be the perfect trail bike, plenty of travel to make the descents fun but light enough to make the long climbs bearable.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by sub6

Sounds like the perfect bike for Fl. You don't have to worry about having to climb on that bike.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Because he, like many of us other flatlanders, travel out of state to ride. He often makes trips to Utah, Colo. and BC. Our local MTB club does organized trips to N. Carolina 2-3 times a year, and Colo. once a year. Also, because of the lack of elevation, we have many man-made things here much like they have in BC. The TOE in Tampa is a good example, and our local trail here is shaping up the same.
I thought they were gonna build a wall or dig a trench or something to keep you guys out? :monkey:

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I took my AC1 that i just built up (thanks mrbig) on my first trail ride which i call trail rides and not XC because its a small area but lots of diff trails just not long long distance involved. Anywho, it weighs 35lbs with fox vanilla 125rlc and i was using 5.15 in the rear. It wasn't bad i was riding flats since i lost my clipless shoes it was fun i couldnt go as fast uphill but who wants to do that when i go good momentum going it was loads of fun flying down the trail fast then up and going through fast lines. Weight wasn't that bad it could lose a pound or two but I prefer riding faster for shorter times then long boring fireroads.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
I have a bike built for fun, and that is what I ride for.
I'm not going to race XC competitively. I'm only on the DH race scene for the shuttle ride. I'll push it on drops and jumps, but only for the sake of cheap thrills. I ride XC, freeride, dirt jumps and dh. All on the same bike.
I just raise the seat for XC rides, but not too high. I can keep up with all but the XC race crowd, but I like to believe I have all the fun that they are missing. I support the cycling community, and race when I can, but only too support the industry and for the fun of it.
The bottom line is that I ride the Bullit in all situations. I just sold my HT that I was using for urban and dj's. But I will probably replace it with an SC Chameleon when I get the dough. But for know I'm a one bike kinda guy.

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
I love my AC1. I just finished building it up at 36 pounds with a sherman firefly. Hopefully soon it will be 32-33. It can take anything you can throw at it. I ride it mostly for xc.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Someday every XC racer will have 5 inches of travel or more under his ass. Longer travel trail bikes and all mountain bikes are the bestest!

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by Evilmunch
I love my AC1. I just finished building it up at 36 pounds with a sherman firefly. Hopefully soon it will be 32-33. It can take anything you can throw at it. I ride it mostly for xc.
AC's are my friend!:D I'm using mine for everything, and the weight is becoming normal. My only gripe so far is the low BB height, I am gona bust pedals every other month at this rate!:eek:

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
AC's are my friend!:D I'm using mine for everything, and the weight is becoming normal. My only gripe so far is the low BB height, I am gona bust pedals every other month at this rate!:eek:
I've never had that problem on mine. What fork are you using?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by Evilmunch
I've never had that problem on mine. What fork are you using?
the psylo XC it came with...for now. I can't afford a new one this year while my wife is in school....the bike was a stretch!;)

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I have a fox vanilla 125rlc on my AC1 and have noticed the BB is kinda low but then again thats coming from having a trek 6700 with a 80mm fork then putting a 5 inch on it.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
the psylo XC it came with...for now. I can't afford a new one this year while my wife is in school....the bike was a stretch!;)
Do yourself a favor and GET RID OF THAT FORK!!!!!!!!!!!! Sell plasma if you have to, go the the sperm bank, anything.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I'm trying to break it as soon as possible! trust me!;)
Let me help you with that.

Find a staircase about 10' tall. Learn the staircase and how to land it right near the bottom on the stairs. Now approach it just a little bit faster than you learned and when the Psylo lands to flat......PISHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....oil will shoot out everywhere. That's exactly how I broke mine.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
Let me help you with that.

Find a staircase about 10' tall. Learn the staircase and how to land it right near the bottom on the stairs. Now approach it just a little bit faster than you learned and when the Psylo lands to flat......PISHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....oil will shoot out everywhere. That's exactly how I broke mine.

rrriiiigggghhhttttt...;) 10' staircases aside, i don't think it will be long before I have it in the shop...I suffered a little slop starting Sunday that got nastier last nite...tonite we're riding some boney rockgardens and rollers...rough on the suspension.

I can trackstand, grab some brake, and shake form side to side with like 1-1.5" of play from the front end!:eek: The fork isn't long for this world.

If I could sell my Isis, or part it out, that would be the $$ I need...anyone want a Fox Forx 125VanR?!!?:D