Quantcast

Bicyclist Charged With Drunk Driving

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
HOPKINSVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Police charged a Hopkinsville man with drunk driving Wednesday morning after an officer saw him riding a bicycle in the middle of the road without a headlight.

Hopkinsville Patrolman Clayton Sumner noticed that Terry Anthony Murrell, 41, was weaving in the road shortly before 2 a.m. CDT, a police report said. Murrell's blood-alcohol level was measured at 0.248 percent, the report said. In Kentucky, the level of presumed intoxication is 0.08 percent.

Murrell was charged with operating a non-motor vehicle under the influence and not having lights on his bicycle.

What a POS Cop, I give the guy some credit for not driving a car.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dont. I hope the guy gets punished as he put other drivers on the road in danger. A bike swerving into the opposite lane that causes a crash is no better than a car doing it. Heaven forbid he hit some pedestrian and break and old lady's hip either.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
yeah, you ain't "special" because you ride a bike, it doesn't give you free will to weave through traffic drunk, posting a hazard to yourself and others....

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
well ya know it is pretty fun riding a bike drunk. but when you do stupid stuff like that i can see why he got in trouble. but riding a bike drunk is still very fun.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
about 14 years ago some guy was busted in Seattle for riding drunk. he took it to court and won. then they made it LEGAL to ride your bike while drunk.

I'm not sure what the law is now though.

laws are different everywhere. burly, your outlook on life sure has changes since you've started drinking. a year ago you would have been saying, "lock him up!"

BurlySurly said:
I dont. I hope the guy gets punished as he put other drivers on the road in danger. A bike swerving into the opposite lane that causes a crash is no better than a car doing it. Heaven forbid he hit some pedestrian and break and old lady's hip either.
Then damn those deer that wonder into the middle of the road that cause accidents.
Rememebr people....brake in a straight line...do not swerve! If you can't stop fast enough, bummer.

Mallet

Chimp
BurlySurly said:
I agree but "drunk driving"......c'mon. This guy was no different than any other pedestrian that is intoxicated and wandering into the street. Public Intoxication maybe, but drunk drivivng....jeez!

Chimp
Jan 10, 2002
CA
It says he was riding in the middle of the road. I can understand getting a ticket for that. It's dangerous even to be walking in the middle of the road drunk. What if he was riding on the sidewalk? ... would that be different?

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
5150 said:
What if he was riding on the sidewalk? ... would that be different?
Nope, I've been pulled over and just warned, about 5 years ago. I was on the sidewalk, but he used the "no light" excuse for pulling me over. Let me just say, when they do pull you over and ask where your coming from " The bar watching Monday Night Football" and " Only 3 er...4" are not the best answers to give. At the time I lived just up the street about a mile or so, so he cut me some slack after a minor hasseling, citing that ( according to the cop anyway) the statutes for DUI are the same for bike or car. He told me to walk it the rest of the way home and if he saw me riding he would stick it to me.

He took off so I walked it for a few yards and the jumped on and started riding again. Kinda stupid of me. I got away with it, but in retro spect I'm not sure what I would have said if he caught up to me and asked " Hey, how did you walk your bike 1/4mi. in only 2 minutes?" :confused: :p

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
Over here the defenition of a vheicle is "belt, skids or wheels"

Thus you can get sited for DUI if you drive anything like a skateboard, bicycle, lawn tractor etc when drunk.

And why not? Just becouse you can't kill that many people wipeing out on a supercyle you can cause serious trauma to others anyway. Makeing people swerve to avoid hitting your drunken ass and then get people killed anyways..

And i know for a fact DUI on bikes can fubar you good... A bud at school was all black and blue from his knee up to his neck on the left side from a drunken crash.. Coulda been much worse tho..

Chimp
Jan 10, 2002
CA
MVRIDER said:
Nope, I've been pulled over and just warned, about 5 years ago. I was on the sidewalk, but he used the "no light" excuse for pulling me over. Let me just say, when they do pull you over and ask where your coming from " The bar watching Monday Night Football" and " Only 3 er...4" are not the best answers to give. At the time I lived just up the street about a mile or so, so he cut me some slack after a minor hasseling, citing that ( according to the cop anyway) the statutes for DUI are the same for bike or car. He told me to walk it the rest of the way home and if he saw me riding he would stick it to me.

He took off so I walked it for a few yards and the jumped on and started riding again. Kinda stupid of me. I got away with it, but in retro spect I'm not sure what I would have said if he caught up to me and asked " Hey, how did you walk your bike 1/4mi. in only 2 minutes?" :confused: :p

So is it the law to have lights on a bike at night? What state were you in? What about in California?

I remember a cop told me that is against the law to have any head-phones when you ride a bike.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
5150 said:
So is it the saw to have lights on a bike at night? What state were you in? What about in California?

I remember a cop told me that is against the law to have any head-phones when you ride a bike.
Yea, I'm in the bay area. I've been pulled over a few of times for no front light and no back flasher. Each time they've said it's the law. Who knows, they may be b.s.ing just to pull you over. Most of the time they just want to see if the bike is hot.

Yes, a bicycle is a vehicle.....you MUST have light to operate any vehicle on public roads at night. Makes sense to me. Same goes for headphones, would you ride a motorcycle or drive your car wearing headphones?? When your on public roads there is certain amount of responsibility expected. Offroad is whole 'nother game.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dont get the argument here. If you're on a bike...traffic rules still apply. You have to stop at stop signs, you should signal turns, follow the speed limit.....dont drink and drive...how hard is it?

A guy riding at night (down the road, not sidewalk) flies over the hood of my truck as i pull into my driveway. He's OK, my truck has $800 damage to the hood, grill and bumper. By law, it's his fault for operating a vehicle at night with no lights, but his insurance claims i didn't yeild to his right of way.

Why does everybody think it's OK to ride at night with no light and/or intoxicated???

If your on the sidewalk, i think it's different story. But once you hit the road.....your a vehicle on public roads with responsabilities!!!