Quantcast

Bicycle Sport Shop surprises me

tittyjesus

Chimp
Jan 1, 2002
Austin, Tx
2 years ago they told me you don't need a Bullit in Austin. Went in for some cables, and what do I see? A Santa Cruz V10 on their showroom floor. It's the first real downhill bike I've seen for sale in a local dealership. I wouldn't buy one personally, but it is a beautiful bike.

northshorerat

Monkey
Oct 7, 2001
you dont go to the stupid store ( buck's super store ) they had a GT RTS in there for a long time. your first mistake was listening to what the sport shop had to say. those guys arent worth listening to when it comes to anything with long-travel

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
where exactly is the surprise in that? are you surprised by the fact that they are tools? i'm surprised they even bother.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i just went and checked out that V10...guy comes up to me:

"you need any help today?"

"nah, just checking out the V10. y'all gonna start selling DH bikes now or something?"

"heh, well i wouldn't really consider that a DH bike. more of a hucker."

thinking to myself 'what the ****?', i say "oh yeah..."

"yeah, but then again, with 10" of travel i guess you could use it as a DH."

and with that i stopped talking to him and he went away.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I wonder how long it will sit there?

Is it built up or just a frame?

Not that this guy would know this, but a couple of guys rode V-10s in the Australian RedBull Freeride competition. I love the mentality of real freeriders. They ride what they got. They showed guys doing some serious freeriding on Yeti DH9s, Intense M1s, RM7s, Giant DHs, old gold-style shivers, Dorados, Boxxers, and yes Monsters. But how many times have you heard that M1s, Dorados, and DH9s are race bikes only? Shut up, quit spreading BS and ride.

...retarded:rolleyes: :p LOL

northshorerat

Monkey
Oct 7, 2001
you have to give him the benefit of the doubt, he does work at a Xc and road shop. so would expect him to know much of the gravity set.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Bucks Bikes
Cycle 360
Nelo's
Discovery
Campus Schwinn
Sun & Ski Sports
REI
Cothron's
Ozone
Austin TriCylist
Oshman's

I'm sure I forgot a couple in their somewhere.

What do you think of the shops overall, the service shop, the selection, etc. (Not exclusively DH and specialty knowledge.)

northshorerat

Monkey
Oct 7, 2001
you forgot Free Stealin', hammerhead, and trend.

and a few of those i hardly consider bike shops. just because they have a bike dept. by no means makes them a shop. if it was that way, you might as well add wal-mart, sears, target, and academy to the list. plus what ever hardware stores still sell bikes.

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by Merwin5_10
Bucks Bikes
Cycle 360
Nelo's
Discovery
Campus Schwinn
Sun & Ski Sports
REI
Cothron's
Ozone
Austin TriCylist
Oshman's

I'm sure I forgot a couple in their somewhere.

What do you think of the shops overall, the service shop, the selection, etc. (Not exclusively DH and specialty knowledge.)
bucks--used to work there, so i like the people. but for the most part they arent the most knowledgeable about the technical stuff. they are much more of a family oriented shop.

cycle 360--arrogant racer tools, they know their stuff though.

nelo's--never been there.

discovery--kinda the college bike shop, prices seem high to me. not much product.

campus schwinn--just a regular bike shop...neutral...the switzerland of bike shops.

sun and ski & rei & oshmans--one word....corporate

cothran's--never been there.

ozone--they have kona's so thats cool. but a few of the employees are questionable...(havent met stinky monkey though...shawn says hes cool though)

my 0.02

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Originally posted by Merwin5_10
Bucks Bikes
Cycle 360
Nelo's
Discovery
Campus Schwinn
Sun & Ski Sports
REI
Cothron's
Ozone
Austin TriCylist
Oshman's
Bucks.....never been there. though, i hear a couple of the chicks are hot.

BSS....i think i might be starting to get in with a couple mechanics, which would be cool. that's the only positive thing i have to say.

C360....well, it's on 360. enough said. hate it.

Ozone....went there today for the first time (met Stinky again)and dug it. between them, BSS, and C360, they were the only ones that could order me a Maxxis tire.

Hammerhead and Trend are both sweet shops for what they sell.

all the other shops i don't care for, or have never been to.

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
buck's has a couple of fellas who know their bmx stuff. you can tell by the parts they sell. not just junk threaded GT pegs, but some solid, reliable, proven parts from S&M, Primo, etc. and they even have 3/16" chains if you ask for em. trend is good and you never know who you'll see there :). if you can only go to one place for bmx stuff, go here. hammerhead is also very cool but don't walk in there expecting to see walls of intense, titus, balfas, mountain cycles and other stuff or glass cases full of shiny new parts. refrigerator (beer) on the left, couch in the back, bathroom on the right, a few bikes here and there (prolly worth more than walmart's entire inventory), and workbench off to the side.

i'm ho-hum about everyone else. BSS destroyed a headset of mine (they'll never outlive that muwahahaha!). 360 is ho-hum but they have a lot of stuff (sorry, still no DH stuff). discovery is ho-hum. rei has some junk, but their techs are well-trained (trust me). sun & ski and oshmans are ho-hum. university schwinn is... don't remember. blah blah blah. oh, ozone... not enough experience to know what they're like.

i'm gonna get dressed up and ask if i can test ride that V10. then i'm gonna ask if they make yakima racks to fit my bently. i'll tell em to just weld the bike to my roof rack since i don't plan on riding it. ok, just kidding. sorry if i offended anyone that dresses up, drives a bently, owns a yakima roof rack, rides santa cruz v10, or has their bike welded to their roof rack. :D

Stinky Monkey

Monkey
Sep 2, 2001
The Big Sleazy again!
Originally posted by the Inbred

Bucks.....never been there. though, i hear a couple of the chicks are hot.

Where is this Bucks place? I might have to check this out. Just dont tell my wife!;)

Originally posted by the Inbred

Ozone....went there today for the first time (met Stinky again)and dug it. between them, BSS, and C360, they were the only ones that could order me a Maxxis tire.
Good meeting you again man. At least this time I could talk, last time I thought my lungs were about to explode.:eek:
Kevin