Quantcast

Best winter glove?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Although I am sure the usual suspects have winter glove offerings, I use my snowboard gloves on my bike in winter. I'm not talking about thick traditional gloves, but more the thinner 'spring' or 'pipe' gloves. They usually have silicon grip on the palms and fingers for grabbing the board which transfer over well to cycling.

I only use them on the coldest days. Regular days will be full fingered tld air gloves or gloveless on warmer days.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have a pair of Louis Garneaus; I think the model is the Magma. It is a lobster claw type. I have found them to be extremely warm without being excessively thick. If you want warmth, this is it; my hands get cold pretty easily and I don't think I've felt even a tingle in these. My only real complaint is actually that they are a bit too warm for a lot of conditions and my hands start sweating in them; I wouldn't mind giving up a bit on the insulation to use them in a higher range of temps where my other spring/fall gloves don't do as well. But for really cold temps or longer rides they are very good.

Buying those and a pair of Shimano winter-specific shoes last season really made riding in low temps much easier.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have a pair of Louis Garneaus; I think the model is the Magma. It is a lobster claw type. I have found them to be extremely warm without being excessively thick. If you want warmth, this is it; my hands get cold pretty easily and I don't think I've felt even a tingle in these. My only real complaint is actually that they are a bit too warm for a lot of conditions and my hands start sweating in them; I wouldn't mind giving up a bit on the insulation to use them in a higher range of temps where my other spring/fall gloves don't do as well. But for really cold temps or longer rides they are very good.

Buying those and a pair of Shimano winter-specific shoes last season really made riding in low temps much easier.
I've been looking at those. I have a pair of AXO storm gloves or I wear my Alpine Star lighter-weight snowmobile gloves on cold days here.

I have the Pearl Izumi Lobster Claws which work fine at the start but can't seem to get rid of moisture effectively once the sweat starts.

This has been the failing of every glove I have tried. They work fine while you're fired up, but freeze when you take a break.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
haha same with me. now if only i can find socks as warm as the gloves

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Manzella Ranch Hand when it's really cold.
Ironclad winter work glove when cool (down to 25*)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ok, reality check:

Are you going to ride in the 35-40 range? 25-30? 0-10? below zero?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
bump. what's the latest and greatest?

I'm considering the Answer Sleestak. Seems well reviewed and the price is hard to beat. Anyone out in monkeyland have experience with them?