Quantcast

best travel case for a DH bike?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Whatever case you use, use a dropout spacer to make sure your chainstays don't get smashed closer together when the luggage apes get to your bike. I know from experience. A threaded rod with 4 nuts works well.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I use a planet X deluxe bike bag. It's padded enough to do a good job and is loads cheaper than cases. All i have to do is take out my wheels, remove my rear mech, rotate the bars 90° and it all slots straight into the bag. :)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
- seb said:
I use a planet X deluxe bike bag. It's padded enough to do a good job and is loads cheaper than cases. All i have to do is take out my wheels, remove my rear mech, rotate the bars 90° and it all slots straight into the bag. :)
:stupid:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
No idea about the US, in the UK I went via geoffery (sp) butler cycles, £90. Just shove "planet x deluxe bag" into google.

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
SprungShoulders said:
Thanks! :D Looks to run about MSRP £99. I couldn't find anyplace online in the States selling it, so I'lll email Peter at P-X. Thanx again!
I am looking for a Planet X bag, too. I am not able to find any mail order sites that carry them in the US... I've tried to google it, www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes, and www.qbike.com, but no avail. Let me know how much it costs! I'm moving soon (7 weeks... :eek: ) and would like to protect my DH bike when I move and travel with it in the future....

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
cali4niabiker said:
I am looking for a Planet X bag, too. I am not able to find any mail order sites that carry them in the US... I've tried to google it, www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes, and www.qbike.com, but no avail. Let me know how much it costs! I'm moving soon (7 weeks... :eek: ) and would like to protect my DH bike when I move and travel with it in the future....
http://www.teamplanetx.com/News/archive news 5.html

they are like $175 plus shipping.

I just don't know what the availablitly is.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
the planet x bag looks good for general transportation, but for airline travel i wouldn t stick my 5K DH rig in it... i ve seen the damage that the rock ape baggage handlers to do stuff... the trico is SOLID, sure it s almost double the price but it d offer about 50 times the protection that a bag would...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
If you are flying, whatever you pack it in, dont let it look like a bike box (logos, pictures, names) and write "Fragile, Art" on it. that way they dont charge you :)

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
I just gave the LBS Mechs a 6-pack and ended up with a Hello Kitty Bike Box :) :think: ... all the folks at the airport laffed, but hey they didn't know what prize was inside.

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
BigMike said:
If you are flying, whatever you pack it in, dont let it look like a bike box (logos, pictures, names) and write "Fragile, Art" on it. that way they dont charge you :)
Of course it is a fragile piece of art! :D The better... the more fragile piece of art it is.... :drool: Gee... I wonder about all those fragile art pieces... way too many possibilities! :p