Quantcast

Best flat dh pedal

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
For 99$ Im willing to give them a try. I wonder how the cro-mo body will hold up at that weight.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I wouldn't be worried about the cage breaking at all. Investment cast 4130 should be plenty strong and survive rocks strikes well.
It's the bearing interface that is scary. I'm sure their lawyers made them test the piss out of it, but having that rip out on a huge hit is an unsettling thought.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Shimanno had a cool inboard Crank road bike pedal years back. The axle was cut in half were the pedal was, so it was right at zero height. Maybe they'll dig up the design for MTB now.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
for anyone who's been waiting - the spank spike pedals are now available through bti. all colors are showing in stock.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Ok the pins on my prerunners lost a lot of their grip due to some hits and imho on very rough courses they grip a bit worse than my old wah wahs so now I dont care I want ultimate grip. The new super low but not really that concave pedals with <8 pins dont really interest me. What can I choose when I want a concave pedal that isnt crazy tall and has very good grip? New spec platforms grow on me but does anyone have an idea when will they be available? Any other options? Trying to get straitlines cheaper since they are releasing a new pedal? Spank?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I was riding Winter Park this weekend and caught a pedal on a rock hard enough to bend the axle and slam me into the ground really hard. They were Kona Wah Wahs on their 3rd season, great pedals, but I couldn't find them for a good price. So, I just ordered some Spank Spike Pedals, most places were sold out but U-Cycles had 2 sets left in the color I wanted and shipping was free... anyone have any time on them, it was a toss up between those and DMR Vaults and it's not too late to change my mind if people have been having bad luck with the Spanks. I have to admit, 12mm wide with no center buldge or exposed axle is pretty nice, and they look less likely than the Wah Wahs to catch on a rock and try to kill me.

For some reason I can't link to an image in photobucket and have it show up here using img tags?...

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l318/davec113/spank_spike_pedal_red.jpg

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I was riding Winter Park this weekend and caught a pedal on a rock hard enough to bend the axle and slam me into the ground really hard. They were Kona Wah Wahs on their 3rd season, great pedals, but I couldn't find them for a good price. So, I just ordered some Spank Spike Pedals, most places were sold out but U-Cycles had 2 sets left in the color I wanted and shipping was free... anyone have any time on them, it was a toss up between those and DMR Vaults and it's not too late to change my mind if people have been having bad luck with the Spanks. I have to admit, 12mm wide with no center buldge or exposed axle is pretty nice, and they look less likely than the Wah Wahs to catch on a rock and try to kill me.

For some reason I can't link to an image in photobucket and have it show up here using img tags?...

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l318/davec113/spank_spike_pedal_red.jpg
I ride clips so no direct experience but a couple of the guys I ride with have been on them for a while with no issues as far as I know.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
dave, i've had my spank spike pedals for several weeks now. so far so good.

the platform is fairly large, but fortunately does not have the very square shape of my wah wahs, so the outer corners are less likely to hit a rock. overall grip is good; not quite as good as my twenty6's, but that's partly because the prerunner has those pointy pins. construction seems very solid on the spike, and the bevelled edges are intelligent.

Suits my large feet better than the podiums I was using on the DH bike.

And the price is pretty good.

pinkgoat

Chimp
Dec 11, 2007
Australia
Anyone seen the new HT pedals? 11mm thin and super light:

1. Al Body/Cr Spindle: 350g
2. Al Body/Ti Spindle: 315g
3. Mg Body/Cr Spindle: 283g
4. Mg Body/Ti Spindle: 244g

I'll definately be trying a pair of the Mg/Cr ones when they're out.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I want to try some Spikes but they're out of stock, wonder when they're going to make more...

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I want to try some Spikes but they're out of stock, wonder when they're going to make more...
i've been told 'soon' for two weeks now after i was shipped a set with a right side axle installed in both right and left pedals...

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Universal Cycles has 1 pair of red pedals left as of this morning... thats it AFAIK.

HAB and frorider, thanks for the input, I look forward to trying out the Spanks.

edit: n/m they are sold out

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i was just sent an email from jensonusa.com telling me that they are not sending me my replacement pedals as they have been discontinued. wtf?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
i was just sent an email from jensonusa.com telling me that they are not sending me my replacement pedals as they have been discontinued. wtf?
It could be that they were discontinued because availability has been so poor on them.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
It could be that they were discontinued because availability has been so poor on them.
i suppose. i have been in contact with spank since i was originally sent the wrong axles installed and have been told they had more on the way and it wouldn't be long. that wasn't even two weeks ago. i guess if spank has since run into issues that would explain it.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I got a ride in on my Spank Spikes today, and coming from Wahwahs, I didn't really notice too much of a difference. They do have better clearance, and I managed not to catch them on rocks. So far, so good.

jj441

Chimp
Jul 7, 2012
Checkout these shiny new falts!
I've been searching for something new and different, I had a go on these during development a while back but they are finally on sale, pricey stuff but seriously cool and rare!
They are from a new company in the UK -- launch components
What do you think, snazzy enough to wait 6 weeks for?
DSC09204.jpg

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm not Convinced but curious.

About HT pedals - I've had one of the new evo models in my hand. In their quest for flat and concave pedal they forgot the middle pins need to be able to touch your foot. Silly.

jj441

Chimp
Jul 7, 2012
I'm looking for something a bit more special than the HT's
The HT pedals are all made from a boring standard pass produced extrusion, same as nuke proof and superstar products, they work fine but they are not exciting.
Launchpads and Prerunners are more my kind of thing, billet machined awesomeness totally crafted products.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Not all people are fine with paying extra because a different production method gives them a tingling sensation in their pants ;) I'd love to get some new expensive pedals but with the current prices I just can't justify it.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have the HTs on my Banshee. Seem to be holding up fine so far. Not the pedals I would have bought, but they were on there when I bought the bike.

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
has no one mentioned these bad boys yet...restoring my old pair for morzine with some gnar pins bearings still silky smooth after years...blenkinsop and a few others are riding them at the wcs

have the wahwahs on the bike at the moment and they are a good pedal....have to run aftermarket pins and and my non drive side one is definitely bent....they did take a battering in france

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Checkout these shiny new falts!
I've been searching for something new and different, I had a go on these during development a while back but they are finally on sale, pricey stuff but seriously cool and rare!
They are from a new company in the UK -- launch components
What do you think, snazzy enough to wait 6 weeks for?
View attachment 111496
£170 retail (so around $255) for a pedal that looks far far too short (front to back) imo. screw that

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Could be that they are very wide and appear narrow? All these weird designs to copy point1 but be "different" are kinda dumb.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm looking for something a bit more special than the HT's
The HT pedals are all made from a boring standard pass produced extrusion, same as nuke proof and superstar products, they work fine but they are not exciting.
Launchpads and Prerunners are more my kind of thing, billet machined awesomeness totally crafted products.

Bam, 600Euro, perfect for you!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm looking for something a bit more special than the HT's, they work fine but they are not exciting.
So do you go with the pedals that don't cost too much, do the job well, and take care of you.. or do you go with the better looking more exciting ones, that cost more and don't treat you as nice?

Get ahold of yourself man, they're pedals. You put your feet on them.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
ht thinks they are a premium brand now. their ae series is 150 retail.
i paid less than $100 for my AE-01's. retail pricing is becoming less and less relevant with the discounts available on the webz these days. really nice pedal so far as well regardless of the boring manufacturing process and lack of bling.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
Where did you get them?

i paid less than $100 for my AE-01's. retail pricing is becoming less and less relevant with the discounts available on the webz these days. really nice pedal so far as well regardless of the boring manufacturing process and lack of bling.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
not a long term review but I've probably got about 10 rides on a new pair of spank spikes. really like them so far. they feel noticeably grippier than my deity decoys. pins seem to be holding up well to rock hits so far.