Quantcast

Best endurance / 24 hour MTB races in west?

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
I wanted to do the Cascade Creampuff, but I think it is a little unrealistic this year unless I devote my life to training. However, a solid team 24 hour relay, or somewhat shorter solo endurance race would be fun. Willing to travel to CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, NV.

Ideas, based on experience? I can Google...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Honestly, I had an incredible amount of fun at the 24 hours of Old Pueblo (happened in February) and that's the only west coast endurance race I have competed in (I have done a few different ones on the east coast though).

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
We just rode the 24 hours of adrenalin in Idyllwild, CA, about 2 hours outside of downtown san diego. 5 man (or coed) relay was great! They also had solo's, 2 man, 4hr, and 8hr divisions.

There's another on in September this year. I think their next race is going to be at laguna seca in about a month or so.

24 hrs of adrenalin

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Honestly, I had an incredible amount of fun at the 24 hours of Old Pueblo (happened in February) and that's the only west coast endurance race I have competed in (I have done a few different ones on the east coast though).
What 24 hour races have you done on the East Coast TreeSaw? I have always wanted to do one, they just seem like a lot of fun.

Do you know of any happening later this year? A Google search didn't get me much info, surprisingly.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I second the vote for Idyllwild...very fun course. You know though, the High Cascade Classic is the end of August here in Bend. That would give you a little more time to train for a 100 miler.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
What 24 hour races have you done on the East Coast TreeSaw? I have always wanted to do one, they just seem like a lot of fun.

Do you know of any happening later this year? A Google search didn't get me much info, surprisingly.
I've done a few.

The Hardcore24 is in Western, NY (Naples) on July 11-12th (used to be in June) and that's a lot of fun. They give out great prizes and it's a real grass-roots feel. This year it's in a new location so we can have beer (yeah). I am pretty sure I am doing this one. It's really become one of my favorite events.

I have also done the 24 hours of Allamuchy in NJ. I haven't gone back for a variety of reasons, the #1 being my distaste for the course. I prefer courses that have flow and something fun each lap and this one really didn't have that for me. There was one little fun rock drop into a quick DH section (maybe 1/8 mile) and other than that, there isn't much too look forward to each lap. The course is generally very muddy, lots of double-track and what I thought to be rather ridiculous climbs through boulders (everyone was carrying their bikes uphill). I finished 4th (out of 11 or 12) during 95+ degree heat, severe T-storms and high wind advisories and was happy to be done. Timing was done electronically which is great (scanner on your wrist for each lap) but I don't really have any desire to go back.

I used to do the Churn n' Burn (Genesis Racing) event but that was cancelled last year due to venue issues and I haven't seen anything posted about it this year. this year, they are hosting a MTB stage race (the WildCat Epic) in the Catskills that I am thinking about doing.

24 hours of Adreneline used to have one at Holiday Farm (Dalton, MA) but that has also been cancelled. Fun course, but the organization of the race lacked IMHO.

There is also the 24 hours of Great Glen in August and Pats Peak (which has 6 & 12 hour options as well) in July (same weekend has the Hardcore24 though). One of these years I'll check out these two as I have heard great things about them, but they never seem to work with my schedule. If you're willing to travel earlier in the season, the Burn 24 in Virginia (?) also gets RAVE reviews from everyone who rides it. It's in May.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I've done a few.

The Hardcore24 is in Western, NY (Naples) on July 11-12th (used to be in June) and that's a lot of fun. They give out great prizes and it's a real grass-roots feel. This year it's in a new location so we can have beer (yeah). I am pretty sure I am doing this one. It's really become one of my favorite events.

I have also done the 24 hours of Allamuchy in NJ. I haven't gone back for a variety of reasons, the #1 being my distaste for the course. I prefer courses that have flow and something fun each lap and this one really didn't have that for me. There was one little fun rock drop into a quick DH section (maybe 1/8 mile) and other than that, there isn't much too look forward to each lap. The course is generally very muddy, lots of double-track and what I thought to be rather ridiculous climbs through boulders (everyone was carrying their bikes uphill). I finished 4th (out of 11 or 12) during 95+ degree heat, severe T-storms and high wind advisories and was happy to be done. Timing was done electronically which is great (scanner on your wrist for each lap) but I don't really have any desire to go back.

I used to do the Churn n' Burn (Genesis Racing) event but that was cancelled last year due to venue issues and I haven't seen anything posted about it this year. this year, they are hosting a MTB stage race (the WildCat Epic) in the Catskills that I am thinking about doing.

24 hours of Adreneline used to have one at Holiday Farm (Dalton, MA) but that has also been cancelled. Fun course, but the organization of the race lacked IMHO.

There is also the 24 hours of Great Glen in August and Pats Peak (which has 6 & 12 hour options as well) in July (same weekend has the Hardcore24 though). One of these years I'll check out these two as I have heard great things about them, but they never seem to work with my schedule. If you're willing to travel earlier in the season, the Burn 24 in Virginia (?) also gets RAVE reviews from everyone who rides it. It's in May.
Wow, that's great info thanks!! I'll look in to the Hardcore24; my in laws are in Western NY so I have a staging area anyway. It's a pretty easy trip from MA in my opinion.

Thanks again!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Wow, that's great info thanks!! I'll look in to the Hardcore24; my in laws are in Western NY so I have a staging area anyway. It's a pretty easy trip from MA in my opinion.

Thanks again!
Glad to help! My inlaws are in North Rose/Wolcott (Sodus Bay area) so it's close for us too and they usually watch my 3 year old daughter while my husband crews for me and I race.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
The website, www.ride424.com, will have loads of info for your research. I found out about 24/Pueblo, Coolest 24, and other through it. It has east/west/north/south/international information. I agree about Pueblo, as I rode it solo in '06. Northstar has a 24 on their thoughts paper, and Kirkwood, too. The guys that do Cool are having a 40 or 100 miler in Sly Park in October. Either way, ride424 will help you with your choices and contacts.