Quantcast

Best DH hub?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Money aside, get a hadley. They have a durable, solid freehub mech and they work with any thru axle. Meaning, if you spend $250-300 on a hub and get a new frame in a year that uses a different size axle, you can buy a conversion kit for $40 and be set. I'd rather have a king but they don't make them for 12mm TA, yet.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by Bacardi
Phil Woodman seem to be a good price
Ah, c'mon, now you're just confusing the poor kid. There's no such thing as "Phil Woodman". There's Phil Wood (super-sweet product) and there's Woodman (also good stuff). As far as hubs go, it's hard to beat Phil Wood, but I'm sure the Woodman hubs ain't too shabby either.

As far as my personal experience, Atomlab rear hubs are huge steaming piles of dookie. I had one seize up on me, and it took 4 months to get a replacement from that dumbass Mike Flaherty (owner and founder of Atomlab).

I now have a Ringle`rear hub, and it's dope. Very smooth, and also super loud. If you get going fast enough, it sounds like a rice rocket. BRRRRAAAAAAPPPPP!!!!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
My list of the absolute best are King, Hadley, Hugi FR in that order (that's what I would do anyways). If you can't spring for those, I would go Hope then Ringle.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by JRogers
My list of the absolute best are King, Hadley, Hugi FR in that order (that's what I would do anyways). If you can't spring for those, I would go Hope then Ringle.
Kings are sweet, just built up a set. However they are quite on the pricey side.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Kings are nothing short of complete and utter baller status. However, they don't make a thru-axel rear. However, ViolentVolante has a cute lil fix for that, if you have the balls :D .

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
If you dont need more than 135mm spacing or 12mm TA in the rear, you can go for the HopeXC as well, dont let the name distract you, almost the same durability as the bulb.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by bbmj
not really contributing, but has anyone tried the stealth hubs?
http://www.trueprecision.net/c_products_mountain.html
seems like it would be pretty cool to have a silent bike, and if they perform like they say they do they should be pretty sweet.
I really wanted to try one of those, as the concept is pretty cool, but there are two problems:

A) I've talked to several people who told me the freehub mechanism liked to blow up on them when heavy torque was applied, and

B) They have been in "re-design" for years now, with no sign of them ever being actually released.

Oh, and they're boat anchors too. Supposedly the new design is lighter and can withstand a lot more torque, but it's classic vaporware. It's been 2-3 years, and every time a thread like this pops up, someone chimes in with "Oh, they're in the machine shop" or "Oh, the new bearings will be in next week" - "Should be out within a month", etc.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have three Hadley rear hubs and other than being solid and extremely durable, their ability to swap parts it the NUMBER ONE reason I keep buying them. I have a 15mm TA, a 12mm TA, a 10mm bolt-on, and 9mm QR kits. I can switch any of these kits between either of the three hubs with two spanner wrenches in a matter of mintues. Sometimes it easier than switching tires.