Quantcast

Bernardita "Berny" Pizarro in Coma- UPDATED

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Hay all, just thought I would put this out there for you guys to pray about. Bernie a member of the Bear Naked Canonndale MTB Team is in an induced coma right now. Apparently on Saturday she was foolin around before her race run and crashed real bad at Whistler breaking her femur. When the doctors looked her over they found a blood clot in her lung. They then induced a coma to protect her and that is all the information they have released so far.
Bernie is 20 years old and has been pursuing her passion of racing mountain bikes on her own dime. She has been travelling the world by herself and having some pretty amazing results on both the Norba and World cup circuits.
I have only hung out with her a couple times but she was always so friendly and excited about life. Everyone I know that knows her has a lot of respect for her and just loves her. Please pray for her and I'll keep you all posted as I get stuff. I believe Matty J our team captain is posting stuff up at Cannondale.com also. Thanks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oh snap. I've got friends in the hospital too (see the alex price thread in the lounge). Toss it up there, donations, cards, and love can (and most likely will) be sent. I wish nothin but the best for her so she can live to ride another day :thumb:

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
wow, that's horrible to hear. I'll definately be keeping her in my thoughts & prayers. I posted the info in the Decline Community Blog section - so hopefully more people will know.

Bernie's a great girl & i wish her the best.

It sucks, there's always someone getting hurt up there pretty seriously - Sabrina, Sven & now Bernie.

cuasidh

Chimp
Aug 18, 2002
santiago, chile
my god!...any news of how is she?

she went to whistler a couple of days ago...damn bad!
hope she can come back and ride again...she is a pretty skilled girl

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
She showed up at one of our local DH races last year with a Leanna Gerrard (another local pro) and ripped it up:D She was very nice and friendly to everyone.

Get well soon Bernie

Photo by Mike Cain.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
what i could gather is that during her femur surgery (operation performed successfully it seems) a bit of bone marrow got into her bloodstream and into her lungs. she is in an induced state of coma and connected to a respirator (i suppose because the clog is in her lungs) as heath posted and is expected to be brought back to consciousness in 3 to 4 days.
at least for me it was reassuring to get all this explained because the word coma is pretty shocking, thankfully by the time she wakes up she will have her sister with her and her brother will be there on monday (anyone has w/ room to spare in vancouver?) and i know that will make a big difference for her with how close that bunch is.

healing vibes to berny !

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Get well soon Bernie

we are praying for a quick recovery

i met her on the MSA gondola. i think it was her
first states side visit. get well soon girl!

zaplaje

Chimp
Apr 30, 2002
Florida
the best wishes to you berny from your admirors and friends (including me) from the ass of the world!!! come back soon to chile!!!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
She seems like one tough chick and I'm sure she can pull through this. I'm sending my best wishes her way. Thanks to those who are keeping us updated on her condition. It's always so hard to hear about these things.

Does anyone know where we could send e-mail or cards to her or her family?

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Wow. Bad news indeed. She's a great girl and really rips it up.

I'll be praying for you Bernie! Hang tough and heal fast!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I was supposed to be on THAT run with berny. Someone jacked her goggles and guess she ended up going alone??? Hopefully she pulls through ok. I just got off the phone with Victor in Chile, and I guess her sister is here, and her brothers are on the way.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
what i know at this time isnt so good and it took me a great deal to get my mind together to write, the doctors tried to bring her back on tuesday but as of last night she wasnt responding and apparently she has a brain edema possibly caused by small clots similar to what she had in her lung, or at least thats one of the versions her partents were getting from the hospital, the info they were getting was so spotty and contradictive and made little sense to her doctor here that that her parents are travelling to vancouver today, hopefullly she comes back to herself quickly and for all us we'll just have to concentrate on the best healing vibes possible.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Best wishes, she has been one of my favorite riders since I met her a few years ago. She has transformed her body and honed her skills so much in the past few years. Get well soon Prayers are with you.