Quantcast

BEHOLD: ULTIMATE DENTIST

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Who the fuck are these people??! I mean, spending that much on a dropper lever itself is beyond me, but US-made, quality, got it, not chafed...but look at why he's selling it! Who got time and money for THAT?!

I see so many expensive components being sold...even forks...for color-matchiness. What the hell do these people do with their mountain bikes?! Honestly it seems like they spend time collecting color anodized bits, matching them, then changing them all before selling the bike a year later "because they don't have time to ride." (And meanwhile insisting their matchy match color scheme makes their bike worth something beyond depreciation...)

SMH.

1673790538206.png

1673790597839.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Dropper levers are for some reason generally fairly expensive, for what you get.

That guy is just over pricing his listing. BUT Paul does have one version for $137 right on their website (the polish option). So it's not far off.

As for the colour, I can get that. Some anodized colors just look horrible, when they are not the same.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Like anything and everything, some people are attracted to the gear aspect more than the activity. Well, that and there are plenty of people who don't have the time, but buying something new helps them feel a little bit more connected to something they still love.

Not saying it's right, but I get it.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Argument wasn't about the pricing, it's about someone who matchy-matches his shit enough to give at all of a damn about how his teeny blue dropper lever tucked under his carbon bar doesn't precisely match his hubs and headset and seatpost clamp and pedals or whatever.

Honestly, that level of matchy-dom looks laughably vile anyway.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And for the record I don't think a Paul lever is ridiculous given you'll use it across five bikes before even needing to consider change the bearings (maybe). If you're oK with, say, black or silver, or just a really nice functional dropper remote lever that may be a sub-optimal color match for four more bikes...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Thats why I tend to buy black accessories these days. That way I can carry it over from bike to bike without worrying about some newfangled colorway scheme, just standard obsolescence.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I've always had really patchwork rando color schemes on my bikes because they're always a frankenmix of my old stuff and whatever was cheapest. Maybe it's why I like raw frames so much--you can kinda throw anything on them and it all looks OK.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh no aspersions cast there--I have TONS of shit sitting around in case I need it. I have a whole plastic job box full of cardboard boxes of shit.

Actually I just found out Charge saddles are out of production so I am ebaying another one or two before I gotta start finding a new favorite.

I guess I can now throw out the super-old, torn-up titanium high end italian Performance Bike branded roadie seats I used on my MTBs between like 2003-2010. Those were nice, and like $40 on clearance, but they barely have any leather left. Plus my old Shimano 24mm spindle triple cranks and BBs. I had them as backup but now I'm all-DUB 1x with enough back bench to cover any failures. I hope there's a project bike I can send them all too soon.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
All handlebars and things bolted to them should be black except for grips. Grips are easily changed so I can have black ones for formal rides and red ones for when I am feeling cute.

Who the fuck are these people??! I mean, spending that much on a dropper lever itself is beyond me, but US-made, quality, got it, not chafed...but look at why he's selling it! Who got time and money for THAT?!

I see so many expensive components being sold...even forks...for color-matchiness. What the hell do these people do with their mountain bikes?! Honestly it seems like they spend time collecting color anodized bits, matching them, then changing them all before selling the bike a year later "because they don't have time to ride." (And meanwhile insisting their matchy match color scheme makes their bike worth something beyond depreciation...)

SMH.

View attachment 187800
View attachment 187801
It's a Jeep thing.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
A wise man once told me “ you become richer when you spend money”

My father liked to say “he’s got more money than good sense”

They were not the same person.

“Cool stuff is way better than colored pieces of paper” - me

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I still lust over a frame painted metallic lime green with gold i9 wheels and a few other matching bits. But that’s just the flashbacks from the 90s talking.
There's being a flat-brimmed endurbro and then there's just being awesome.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I love me some matching bits and will always do so when given the opportunity.

I am also a subscriber to the philosophy of run what ya brung.

Like these matching skulls...

20221118_211006.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My bikeyokes both came with Triggys and I sent one in for warranty after it worked opposite after a service, so I got another triggy, they may not be quite as "nice" as my WT or PNW, but they are like 90% at least and pretty darn good. I think I'm using a PNW, a WT, a couple Triggys and I got at least one spare.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Half of the matchy matchy group are colour blind anyway :)

But matching? I go full black mostly. Don’t want to see your crappy logo either! ;)

64D7974C-A331-4EAB-A5BD-CC4EED47A25A.jpeg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

SMH.

View attachment 187800
View attachment 187801
have you met mountain bikers in 2023?

you know, the ones that started 5 years after you pretty much quit paying attention?

I hate these people. They deserve nowhere to ride. Back in the ski areas and golf courses where they belong.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Always wanted a Schwinn Homegrown in bassboat blue.
if you're good at things you can find the thread I started here asking about the wisdom of buying one of those on ebay

I KNOW they all cracked. I KNOW it's short steep and shitty. But that was the first bike I ever legit lusted over and almost built up a local town cruiser out of one

#metoo

Life's too short for all black all the time. :nerd:
Too short for anything but

If you ain't mournin' you aint livin

Last edited: