Quantcast

Beginner Advice

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
Hi, I just moved to the North Shore, and I am dying to start Downhill biking, but I need some advice. I have 1000 CAD to get a second hand bike and have no idea where to start! I am 6'2" with pretty long legs(34 long in jeans), could anyone recommend some bikes in my price range and what size would be best for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
Well a lot of guys end up looking for smaller bikes so you are actually in luck there are ussally a bunch of frames out there. It also depends on your riding style if you want to be more over the frame or if you like the slacked feeling when your riding a bike. If you are just starting out I would look for a used Kona Stinky, the bikes are bomb proof and readily available for good money. When you build up your riding style preference and put some more money away, you can look into getting something that suits you better but for now that is what I would sugest.

Its the same reason why you never by a new driver a new car they are definitly going to crash it :D

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Large to XL. I'm 6'1" but with long arms (77" reach), and I'm comfortable on most larges, XL in some instances. I went from the old school of thought where smaller frames were better, rode a medium, then switched to a large in 2006 and haven't looked back. Go large. Don't go medium unless you like the feeling of getting bucked at speed.

With regards to frames, look on Pinkbike, Europe section of the buy and sell. 1000 might not get you much, but it's a start. Focus on finding a decent frame with decent suspension and you can upgrade all the other bits later on as you break/wear them out.

Cheers, and enjoy the best sport in the world.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If by "North Shore", you mean North Vancouver, have a look at nsmb.com. I think they have an active local community, group rides, and are generally pretty welcoming. I think. And yeah, the buy n' sell on Pinkbike is pretty good.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
With regards to frames, look on Pinkbike, Europe section of the buy and sell. 1000 might not get you much, but it's a start. Focus on finding a decent frame with decent suspension and you can upgrade all the other bits later on as you break/wear them out.
i hope you mean canada.. i wouldnt even want to imagine what shipping a frame from euro land to our side of the world costs..

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Ha, I didn't register that. I just looked at his location. Welcome to Canada!

Tons of bikes for sale out there. 1000 will get you a used entry level stinky or something similar. Try to up it to the 1500-2000 region and you can get a lot more.

Also, consider a burly trail bike if this is your only steed, as there are TONS of great trails out there that you've got to pedal around on. More options in the trailbike category, for cheaper.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Ok you'll need one of these

That's about $450

Gotta protect the eyes so...

going for $170

Then you are gonna need a sweet kit.

That will run you about $230

Some sick kicks come next.

Only $130

After that you have about $20 left for a Monster Energy hat!!!

Now you are ready to ride!!

Oh sh!t, you wanted a bike? Well looks like you are out of luck.

boxierrric

Chimp
Oct 23, 2012
I can vouch for kona stinkys if you don't mind the weight - good when your going down but hard when your going up. When you go second hand, tread carefully. I baught my kona stinky deluxe 2007 for £450. cheap price but some part were very old. But still love the thing.

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
Ha, I didn't register that. I just looked at his location. Welcome to Canada!

Tons of bikes for sale out there. 1000 will get you a used entry level stinky or something similar. Try to up it to the 1500-2000 region and you can get a lot more.

Also, consider a burly trail bike if this is your only steed, as there are TONS of great trails out there that you've got to pedal around on. More options in the trailbike category, for cheaper.
This is something I've been thinking about also, I'm not going to have a car for a while, so maybe downhill bike isn't the best option, but it's what I've been looking forward to for years so I'm kind of torn.

Thanks for all of the advice guys!

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
Also by trail bike do you mean a FR bike or more of a XC/AM bike? I'm not massively interested in long, uphill, pedally type trails, but I get what you mean about having to get to where I want to go on the bike too. Any recommendations on a good all rounder? Or what kind of travel front and rear I should be looking at to be able to tackle most downhill trails while still being able to pedal somewhat reasonable distances in comfort?

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1387968/

I sure wouldn't want to pedal it anywhere, but this would do the job. A little steep on price, and who knows what kind of componentry is on it...might be negotiable...

I started out buying one of the Whistler rental fleet bikes for about $1,600 a few years ago. Some of the parts needed replacing right off the bat, so beware.

Downhill is pretty spendy, especially when you're starting. I'd go through derailleurs and hangers like nobody's business. I've gotten a little less hack-y since.

It's funny. I don't know if it's just age catching up with me, but I've been getting a lot more pleasure out of trail/xc type riding over DH. You get way more time in the saddle, and you're less dependent on your riding buddies getting their act together to run shuttles.

In North Van, you'd be able to pedal to the trails, pedal up some reasonable climbs, then ride down some pretty damned good descents with a 5-6" travel bike.

As mentioned above, check nsmb.com buy and sell. There are a lot of people with nice bikes around here, so the used market is rich with pretty blingy rides. $1,000 won't go all that far though. Keep saving.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
If you're not going to rely on lift access/shuttling, i'd consider something like these:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1372678/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1395813/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1395727/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1395231/

Will get you to the top with some effort and are still really capable when going back down.

As others have mentioned, in that price range you're looking at fairly old bikes that will probably need some maintenance, so you might want to set aside some money for that.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Well a lot of guys end up looking for smaller bikes so you are actually in luck there are ussally a bunch of frames out there. It also depends on your riding style if you want to be more over the frame or if you like the slacked feeling when your riding a bike. If you are just starting out I would look for a used Kona Stinky, the bikes are bomb proof and readily available for good money. When you build up your riding style preference and put some more money away, you can look into getting something that suits you better but for now that is what I would sugest.

Its the same reason why you never by a new driver a new car they are definitly going to crash it :D

Are you nuts? Kona Stinky? For that price he can get an old glory which is way more durable, has better geo and better susp even if a bit heavy.

Also yeah go to nsmb

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
Ok I think maybe going for a more all round bike would be a better idea as I won't have a car for a couple of months and don't really know anyone here, so I would definitely be cycling to trails in the beginning. I will look into the bikes posted and I signed up to nsmb, thanks again for all the advice!

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
Are you nuts? Kona Stinky? For that price he can get an old glory which is way more durable, has better geo and better susp even if a bit heavy.

Also yeah go to nsmb
I wasn't saying break the bank on a stinky, I was saying get something cheap he can beat the snot out of till he figures out what he wants. Busted bike parts add up fast and he is looking for more a all-rounder not necessarily just a DH bike.

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
If you're not going to rely on lift access/shuttling, i'd consider something like these:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1372678/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1395813/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1395727/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1395231/

Will get you to the top with some effort and are still really capable when going back down.

As others have mentioned, in that price range you're looking at fairly old bikes that will probably need some maintenance, so you might want to set aside some money for that.

Tried to buy that sx trail III but I just missed out. Anyone got any other suggestions for a freeride/all mountain kind of bike, I don't really know any bikes in that category.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Sanat Cruz Nomad
Santa Cruz Bullet
Santa Cruz Heckler
Spec Stumpjumper
Spec Enduro
Giant Reign
Trek Remedy
Kona Coiler

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Thanks again! I'll look into them.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Norcos

The Fluid LT would be a good option too if you could find one.
Rocky mountain slayers would also do the job....

I really like this ad for RMB. Goes to show that you don't need a big bike for shore riding...

Last edited: