Quantcast

Be One Gearbox bike

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
WOW!!! that thing looks so nice and clean. Hopefully well see much more of this from other companies as well

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Wow, its like a Brodie 8 ball and a Nicolai got to bumpin uglies and had a love child :p

Wonder what's in there? Nexus, Rohloff "other"?

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
Damn, that looks pimp! George, any chance you've got any inside information from your former team? This is the first I've seen of it, but it's nice to see more than one company working on this new gearbox theme.

If we see one on the market that actually works, I may be able to retire the singlespeed. Well, not necessarily retire, but perhaps it'll become the pub/derby bike instead of my do-it-all-but-for-God's-sake-be-quiet-while-you're-doing-it steed.

All that chainslapping makes my BRAAAAPPP-ing less audible.

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
I heard from Tom at Rohloff that they have some BIG, top secret products coming out at years end. Maybe this inline with what he was talking about. The sooner the better (as long as it works).

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
preppie said:
This is the first pic I see of the new B1 DH gearbox.
I've heard 'some rumours' but I didn't know it was already World Cup race-ready.
I wonder if Karl Nicolai is involved in this B1 gearbox thing?

Actually, I would ask if Dave Weagle has anything to do with the BeOne Gear box as he designed the G-Boxx that was seen at the 2004 Interbike Trade Show on the Evil Imperial 2013i and the Nicolai frame.

Quick link for ya'll - http://www.evilbikes.com/2013i_gboxx/2013i.htm

Michael
e.13 / Evil

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
springfish said:
I heard from Tom at Rohloff that they have some BIG, top secret products coming out at years end. Maybe this inline with what he was talking about. The sooner the better (as long as it works).
i've heard rumors of a lighter, fewer-geared (ie, more dh / freeride oriented) rohloff. it'd be great to see such a product come to fruition.

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
These gearbox ideas are great but the only thing keeping me from buying one is.... what if something goes wrong or needs adjustment you'd prob have to ship it out to get done which is killer downtime...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Hrelp said:
These gearbox ideas are great but the only thing keeping me from buying one is.... what if something goes wrong or needs adjustment you'd prob have to ship it out to get done which is killer downtime...
Oh yeah, and rear deraileurs are soooooooo tough and reliable.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
nice design.

man i hope they make a new rohloff 7's

i think this is b1's own deal b/c the drive chain is on the right.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
nice concept, but... if you go to a gearbox design, is there any way to get around having a simple single-pivot (like the honda) or a linkage-driven sp bike like the b1? I can't get around thinking that you wouldn't be able to run any type of linkage with an extending chainline w/o some type of derailleur-like tension adjuster, and that just defeats the purpose... :confused: Will be interesting to see if they can overcome: weight, price, complex repairs and single pivot suspension problems.

dante

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Who was riding that bike? Was it Bas De Bever? At Todtnau me and Partsy were talking to the young bloke who rides for the Be-one team.....His name's Nico something or rather, nice kid, fast as hell too. Didn't see any bikes like that there though.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
valve bouncer said:
Who was riding that bike? Was it Bas De Bever? At Todtnau me and Partsy were talking to the young bloke who rides for the Be-one team.....His name's Nico something or rather, nice kid, fast as hell too. Didn't see any bikes like that there though.

I'm pretty sure it is Bas de bever's bike.
The young talented guy you've met was Nico Vink from Belgium.
Rides for the Be one team since this year and finished 40th in Fort William.
(..but we hope to see him in the top 20 soon.)

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
dante said:
nice concept, but... if you go to a gearbox design, is there any way to get around having a simple single-pivot (like the honda) or a linkage-driven sp bike like the b1? I can't get around thinking that you wouldn't be able to run any type of linkage with an extending chainline w/o some type of derailleur-like tension adjuster, and that just defeats the purpose... :confused: Will be interesting to see if they can overcome: weight, price, complex repairs and single pivot suspension problems.

dante
You can run more complex rear suspension designs without a tensioner, it just requires a little thought on the manufacturers part. Take the Honda as an example, they have chain growth in their design yet don't run a deraileur type tensioner.

I think the reason you tend to see bikes like this as single pivots is because most designs that vary axle path do it to deal with chain torque issues which are a lot easier to control when you have a fixed size of chainrings. When is the last time you saw a VPP or Horst link MX bike?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
dante said:

dante
Well the whole reason of having most of those linkages is for pedalling reasons, but with this you could make the bike pedal better than was easily possible before (without using a jackshaft or pulley, anyway). For example, you could tune such a bike (because the chainline is constant, and able to be placed pretty much wherever you like in relation to the axle/pivot axis) to pedal as well as any of the bikes currently on the market (eg DW-link, VPP)... IMO of course.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Hrelp said:
You're dead right. I'm never going to buy a car in case that happens.

[hint] gearboxes are pretty reliable compared to derailleurs [/hint]

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
Thats great I wouldn't want to see someone as stupid as yourself on the road anyways. There are 50 tranmission specific shops for cars in my town and 0 qualified shops that could deal with a beone gearbox or rohloff. Imagine what life would be like if every transmission that broke had to be shipped off to get fixed.
thaflyinfatman said:
You're dead right. I'm never going to buy a car in case that happens.

[hint] gearboxes are pretty reliable compared to derailleurs [/hint]

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
thaflyinfatman said:
Well the whole reason of having most of those linkages is for pedalling reasons, but with this you could make the bike pedal better than was easily possible before (without using a jackshaft or pulley, anyway). For example, you could tune such a bike (because the chainline is constant, and able to be placed pretty much wherever you like in relation to the axle/pivot axis) to pedal as well as any of the bikes currently on the market (eg DW-link, VPP)... IMO of course.
Thank You. I was thinking the same thing but didn't feel like typing the whole thing out. Basically high pivot =nice rearward and up axle path but problems with chain growth. Low pivot = poor axle path but no problem with chain growth. Links on the chainstay of a low pivot bike (fsr) can fix axle path problems.
This is the future! Ever wonder why singlespeeds are so popular? Often it's not because the owner doesn't like gears but because he doesn't like dealing with the problems associated with rear deraileurs. I'm gonna call Honda and tell them to send me a bike or Mountain Cycle will sue em for copying us :mumble: (just kidding). :D

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
That just looks so right and this gearbox thing seems to be comming along quicker that I had expected. I even strong now have to sing the tune: you don't need a new bike, you don't need a new bike ....

Nicolai-USA

Chimp
Dec 23, 2001
Long Beach, CA
hehehe... its a major announcement... thats all I can say... I think it will cause a profound change in the way 5/6 inch travel enduro bikes will be looked upon... w00ps! did I say too much already? :D

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
Nice, just be sure to send the press release my way brotha. I'm dying to hear the full scoop! Sounds like Karl and his gang have been busy since Interbike?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Hrelp said:
Thats great I wouldn't want to see someone as stupid as yourself on the road anyways. There are 50 tranmission specific shops for cars in my town and 0 qualified shops that could deal with a beone gearbox or rohloff. Imagine what life would be like if every transmission that broke had to be shipped off to get fixed.
So how often does your car's gearbox blow up? Work it out, then relate it into a per-kilometre/mile function, then tell me a derailleur has ever lasted you anywhere near that long. Before you go calling other people stupid, maybe you should have a look at how intelligent your own comments are... dumbass.