Quantcast

BC '05 trip with some pictures

Got into Seattle July second, drove up to Vancouver and spent the night. I went up to Whistler the next day. Got there around 2:00. The sky was dark and it was getting kind of windy. I went out to check out the bone yard, didn't bring the camera, which I regret now.

Next day, Monday, went riding on the mountain. Cloudy but no rain, it would end up being the best weather and trial conditions I had all three days I were there. Stayed on the lower mountain, had a blast. It rained that night, and second run the next day I decided to take it up to Garbanzo before more rain hit. I was probably the only one up there, and it was a mud fest. Mud + Roots = my only two crashes of the trip. Finally made it down when the rain started and spent the rest of the day riding on and off trying to avoid the rain. Rode pretty much A-Line/Dirt Merch the whole day. Day Three, my right wrist hurt like a bitch. I guess the combo of tendinitis and the 888 on my rental bike that was waaay to stiff for me kind of messed it up. That meant another day of A-Line/Dirty Merch/Crabapple hits/ bone yard. I tried to ride Whistler DH later that day, which was a huge mistake, and ended up creeping down the trail trying to manage my wrist pain.

Left Whistler Thursday morning, July 7th for the San Juan Islands. Did whale watching and all that good tourist stuff. Flew back home out of Seattle July 10.

I learned a few things
1) Weather is sketchy in Whistler early July, wait a little longer next year.
2)Don't rent a bike with too stiff suspension and shot bearings, even if it is free.
3)Bring a Wrist brace

It was still fun trip, and just makes me more excited for next years whistler trip (Which will be more than 3 days, in late July, on my own bike, with a wrist brace) Here are a few pictures I got. Sorry no riding pics.

A water fall on the drive up to Whistler

4 miles to go

Some lake, I think near Pemberton?

Whale watching off the San Juan Islands

A couple pano’s of Vancouver from my hotel room balcony, looking towards North Van
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/dogfallzone/vancitypanoborder.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/dogfallzone/vanpanocloseborder.jpg

And a couple of bonus pics of the Sierra Buttes from my trip to Downieville

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Good stuff! I'm leaving this next Friday to do basically the same trip, flying into Seattle and visiting all my old stomping grounds, up to Whistler and Vancouver for the next week, and then back out through Seattle. Great pics! The one of the orca breaching is incredible! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
DamienC said:
Good stuff! I'm leaving this next Friday to do basically the same trip, flying into Seattle and visiting all my old stomping grounds, up to Whistler and Vancouver for the next week, and then back out through Seattle. Great pics! The one of the orca breaching is incredible! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
You wouldnt happened to be going with Stiff (also known as Steve)

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
rpk1988 said:
You wouldnt happened to be going with Stiff (also known as Steve)
Yup. :) There are about 10 DC/MD/VA heads converging in Whistler in about two weeks - mostly the same yahoos who went last year and the year before.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
You guys should check out the riding in Rossland and Nelson. It's epic and not crazy crowded like Whistler. The Kootenay summer weather is a bit more predictable too. I lived in Rossland for 13 years and I really miss the type of trails there.

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
Originally posted by Jestere 2)Don't rent a bike with too stiff suspension and shot bearings, even if it is free.
That's really weird that your suspension was too stiff. I rented the Kona Freight Trains or whatever and the suspension was too soft (I weigh 140). Whistler was really sweet though. Dirt Merchant to Lower A-line to GLC drops is the best run ever. But I really liked Joyride and Schleyer too.

yojimborace said:
That's really weird that your suspension was too stiff. I rented the Kona Freight Trains or whatever and the suspension was too soft (I weigh 140). Whistler was really sweet though. Dirt Merchant to Lower A-line to GLC drops is the best run ever. But I really liked Joyride and Schleyer too.
I rented from evolution, the rear was fine but the front was to stiff. I didn't get to do all the trails because of the rain, but I also really like crabapple hits.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Jestere said:
I rented from evolution, the rear was fine but the front was to stiff. I didn't get to do all the trails because of the rain, but I also really like crabapple hits.
You scared me for a minute with all the talk of rain...Until I saw the dates.

<------Going to Whistler next weekend.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave

Holy crap what a cool shot! i've lived here all my life and not even seen one of those suckers let alone see one breach and have a camera for proof!

Nice......