Quantcast

Baller 14" Kids bike??

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
So I need to get my neice a christmas gift. Obviously a bike is the top of the list. Looks like based on her inseam a 14" bike is best. But I don't to get her a cheap sh*tty one. I want to get her the nicest 14" money can buy (up to $250). I have no idea where to begin. Anyone have any suggestions?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So I need to get my neice a christmas gift. Obviously a bike is the top of the list. Looks like based on her inseam a 14" bike is best. But I don't to get her a cheap sh*tty one. I want to get her the nicest 14" money can buy (up to $250). I have no idea where to begin. Anyone have any suggestions?
Outside of the Huffy/Schwin/Walmart class bikes, any kid's bike with be basically the same. Fancy is aluminium.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Why baller? I bought my daughter a sh!tty used walmart rig, repainted it with her colors and was good to go for 2 years before she out grew it. Unless you just want to toss money, then I would go carbon fat bike for ultimate dentist.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Why baller? I bought my daughter a sh!tty used walmart rig, repainted it with her colors and was good to go for 2 years before she out grew it. Unless you just want to toss money, then I would go carbon fat bike for ultimate dentist.
This. Just buy for the color. Haley's bike was $75 garage sale special. Raleigh something, but in a light blue that she likes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
department store bikes = unsafe, because they're built by people with no bike building skills. can't tell you how many improperly assembled department store bikes i've seen.

a lot of bike shops sell used bikes, frequently kids bikes. i'd go that route.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
ussd specialized hotrock tend to he plantiful on craigslist, etc. not sure if just 12 and 16 tho...
ours survived both of our sons' abuse pretty well...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ussd specialized hotrock tend to he plantiful on craigslist, etc. not sure if just 12 and 16 tho...
pretty sure g2k is looking for a bike sized at 14" (seat tube measurement, so something in the realm of an extra small; based on the fact that he referenced her inseam), while the hot rocks you refer to are 12" and 16" wheels, not 12" / 16" frames.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
some more info from him would help, because what's confusing with kids bikes is that the frame "size" is interchangeable with wheel size.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
pretty sure g2k is looking for a bike sized at 14" (seat tube measurement, so something in the realm of an extra small; based on the fact that he referenced her inseam), while the hot rocks you refer to are 12" and 16" wheels, not 12" / 16" frames.
If that's the case, a craigslist score that you make pretty might be your best option. Bang for buck, yo.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
department store bikes = unsafe, because they're built by people with no bike building skills. can't tell you how many improperly assembled department store bikes i've seen.

a lot of bike shops sell used bikes, frequently kids bikes. i'd go that route.
That's why I bought hers used, took it apart, painted it and put it together proper. I'm not saying "go to Wally World and hope for the best".

I was also thinking wheel size, my bad.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
False, I should've been clear. Looking for a 14" wheel. She's 3 or 4 years old or something like that.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
False, I should've been clear. Looking for a 14" wheel. She's 3 or 4 years old or something like that.
Not baller per se, but I've been pleasantly suprised with how light and well designed these bikes are.

http://us.woombikes.com/

I got the 24" and 16" (for my 10 & 5 year olds) versions this past summer, and losing a bunch of weight moving from a haro tanker 12" to the lighter 16" really helped little guy's confidence...

I noticed a difference too with my oldest as her bike got lighter too (hard rock 20" to woom 24")

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Most of the bikes at big boxes or Walmart have crap geometry. That's likely the problem rather than 14", per se.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I want to say my kids first bike was a 12", I think it was a Little Mermaid bike. Paint, grease, new tires, new grips, new pedals. I think I had $60 into it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

http://www.commencalusa.com/14-c102x3044434

It even fits your budget. But I'm going to guess you'll have a hard time getting it in 3 days.

I bought my son the 16" Ramones. He used it for 2.5 years before outgrowing it. We rode around town on it, rode to school on it, and rode some trails on it. It's still in great shape. It will be handed down to his little brother when the time comes. I was happy with my purchase.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My daughter didn't grasp the concept of hand brakes until she upgraded to the Powerlite at 12. I don't think she had the hand strength before that, but that is pretty baller.
my son was the opposite. his first bike had a hand brake and a coaster brake. he never got the hang of the coaster brake and only used the front brake. which led to a few dicey moments going down hills (yes, there was a couple of faceplants and associated road rash). When it was time to get a bigger bike, it was really tough to track down a 16" bike with hand brakes as US safety rules require a coaster brake on all bikes with wheels less than 20" (so essentially they require coaster brakes for little kids' bikes).

Ben got one of those once he could ride. If only he'd ride the damned thing... he CAN, he just won't.

It kills me.
my second son is like that too. isn't interested in pedaling. likes his Strider much more. hopefully that changes next year.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wow, I had no idea there was a safety requirement for coaster brakes. She didn't have issues when I bought her quad at 7, but I had to modify the brake lever to meet ATV fit requirements for her riders cards. It was also hydo and easy to pull.

If I recall, her Little Mermaid bike might have had a hand brake, too. When she was 9 she wanted a beach cruise and it had a coaster brake. But all the kids in the 'hood had fast BMX bikes, so she lot interest until I built her mini Powerlite. :rofl:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
strider bikes are dope. our son at 3 used to tear up the local mtb trails on his. too bad neither one is interested in mtb now, although both love to cruise on greenways and my younger son likes to build trail, so there's that...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
12" was perfect for Mariko, who is and was tiny. She didn't have interest in riding a clunky, heavy, upright Magna we borrowed but she loves her 12" Specialized plus bike (2.4" iirc!) and always wants to ride it.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
This is a lot like the mini Powerlite I built up, but she was 9 or 10 by that point. She was also tiny back then.
My 9 year old is ready for an expert.sized frame ...going on 5'! I have a micro built up for the 3 year old if he ever gets the urge - he shies away from his balance bike right now.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My 9 year old is ready for an expert.sized frame ...going on 5'! I have a micro built up for the 3 year old if he ever gets the urge - he shies away from his balance bike right now.
I scored an original 1980's era Powerlite for less than $100 off ebay. Had a garbage seat and cranks, but original Araya rims with sealed hubs. At the track, all the BMX dad's were geeking out over it. I had about $160 total into it. Paint, polish, new sticker kit, it was good to go.

Vipon

Chimp
Jul 22, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
to disable a coaster you would remove the brake shoes. taking the brake arm off would have the wheel locked up after the third time you pedaled backwards

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I scored an original 1980's era Powerlite for less than $100 off ebay. Had a garbage seat and cranks, but original Araya rims with sealed hubs. At the track, all the BMX dad's were geeking out over it. I had about $160 total into it. Paint, polish, new sticker kit, it was good to go.

that thing is awesome :thumb: