Quantcast

Bad news Steelers fans...

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Karma coming full circle for the Steelers after what their Defensive Lineman did to Carson Palmer's knee in the playoff game last year.

J

JRB

Silver said:
Asked why he doesn't wear a helmet -- something he wouldn't think about doing on a football field -- Roethlisberger pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended two years ago.

"Obviously Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to (wear a helmet)," he said. "There's a law you've got to wear it in football."

Lucky his head hit the windshield first, or he could have been seriously hurt...

I heard him say it makes him feel so free in an interview. I didn't read his condition, but I wonder how free you feel with that brace on your neck while you drive your wheel chair with that stick on your forehead. There was a handicapped kid that was born that way that I went to HS with and he didn't look free. I certainly wish he could have traded his spot in life for someone that cares so little for their own life. It seems like the wrong people are afflicted sometimes, huh???

Anyway - I hope the guy gets well and gets smart.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
JRB said:
I heard him say it makes him feel so free in an interview. I didn't read his condition, but I wonder how free you feel with that brace on your neck while you drive your wheel chair with that stick on your forehead. There was a handicapped kid that was born that way that I went to HS with and he didn't look free. I certainly wish he could have traded his spot in life for someone that cares so little for their own life. It seems like the wrong people are afflicted sometimes, huh???

Anyway - I hope the guy gets well and gets smart.
Condition: Broken nose, broken jaw, lacerations, missing teeth. In my opinion he got off really lucky sustaining only those injuries in an accident in which he was not wearing protective gear.

J

JRB

Polandspring88 said:
Condition: Broken nose, broken jaw, lacerations, missing teeth. In my opinion he got off really lucky sustaining only those injuries in an accident in which he was not wearing protective gear.
Really lucky. I do hope he's ok, but no helmet on a bike is like getting snake bit in a rattlesnake round up.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
homepiece said:
Karma coming full circle for the Steelers after what their Defensive Lineman did to Carson Palmer's knee in the playoff game last year.
Hell, I'll pile on.

That is one of the dumbest things I have heard. Kimo Von Oelhoffen and Carson Palmer are friends and were teammates the year before. Von Oelhoffen was the first person to check on Palmer after the play and he looked pretty bummed that he hurt Palmer.

It was NOT a cheap shot (like when Rodney F'n Harrison rolled up on Trent Green's leg!).

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Whatever. QB's getting taken out in the playoffs is pure crap. In 01' Jim Miller took a VERY late hit by Hugh Douglas of the Eagles that put him out of the game in the 1st quarter. All Douglas got was a penalty and a fine, Miller never returned and the Bears lost the game. Miller stayed injured and is now out of the league.
I feel for Carson Palmer.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
BurlyShirley said:
Whatever. QB's getting taken out in the playoffs is pure crap. In 01' Jim Miller took a VERY late hit by Hugh Douglas of the Eagles that put him out of the game in the 1st quarter. All Douglas got was a penalty and a fine, Miller never returned and the Bears lost the game. Miller stayed injured and is now out of the league.
He still played 10 games the next year for Chicago.

He's out of the league because he was a crap QB.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DRB said:
He still played 10 games the next year for Chicago.

He's out of the league because he was a crap QB.
He played injured the entire time. Please dont try and start an argument w/ me about Bears history because you will lose. The guy was never the same. Comparing his rating and win % to other Bear QBs in this era, he and Kramer are the best of the bunch.

http://www.bearshistory.com/lore/jimmiller.aspx

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
DNA said:
Hell, I'll pile on.

That is one of the dumbest things I have heard. Kimo Von Oelhoffen and Carson Palmer are friends and were teammates the year before. Von Oelhoffen was the first person to check on Palmer after the play and he looked pretty bummed that he hurt Palmer.

It was NOT a cheap shot (like when Rodney F'n Harrison rolled up on Trent Green's leg!).

Of course he checked on him afterward, when a guy is standing there watching the ball fly through the air and gets hit in the knee by a 310 pounder seconds after the pass was released, it is going to look pretty bad if you don't.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DRB said:
I know down at BA Stadium they are quaking at the thought of the second coming of Jim Miller.
Rex Grossman, in his 2nd start of the year, LIT you guys up with 3rd string receivers in the 2nd half. I firmly beleive the NFC championship game will be in Chicago, with Carolina visiting. Retribution is a bitch.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
BurlyShirley said:
Rex Grossman, in his 2nd start of the year, LIT you guys up with 3rd string receivers in the 2nd half. I firmly beleive the NFC championship game will be in Chicago, with Carolina visiting. Retribution is a bitch.
Let me see

17 of 41 for 192, 1 TD and 1 interception.

OR

24 of 32 for 319, 3 TD and 1 interception.

Yeah somebody got LIT up in that game alright.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DRB said:
Let me see

17 of 41 for 192, 1 TD and 1 interception.

OR

24 of 32 for 319, 3 TD and 1 interception.

Yeah somebody got LIT up in that game alright.
As I said, all of it came in the 2nd half, and the Bears were w/ out a corner and 2 safeties. Go ahead and rest on those laurels:)

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
BurlyShirley said:
But the hit on Palmer wasn't late and it wasn't particularly vicious. It was just bad luck.

(and I am not a homer Steelers fan blindly defending them)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DNA said:
But the hit on Palmer wasn't late and it wasn't particularly vicious. It was just bad luck.

(and I am not a homer Steelers fan blindly defending them)
Im not saying the guy necessarily did it on purpose, but he wasnt trying NOT to roll into Palmer. I hate the Bungles, but losing a QB is a sad way to lose a season.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
JRB said:
... is like getting snake bit in a rattlesnake round up.
Say what ? From the local news:

DANVILLE, Pa. - Amos Osborn, bitten by a large rattlesnake during the 51st Annual Morris Rattlesnake Roundup on Saturday, was listed in good condition Monday at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville.

Osborn had been listed in serious condition on Sunday, but his condition improved significantly overnight.

He was trying to pin a rattlesnake in the snake pit at about 4 p.m. Saturday when the rattler pulled his head free and bit him on the hand. Three punctures indicate that the snake struck Osborn twice, Morris Fire Chief Dean Kreger said.

Osborn, 67, has handled eastern timber rattlesnakes for 50 of the roundup's 51 years. But the last few have brought bad luck.

Osborn nearly died after a rattler bit him during the 2003 roundup and he had an allergic reaction to antivenin, the drug used to counteract the effects of snake venom.

On Saturday, the snake struck Osborn after it managed to twist its head free of the pinning stick, which resembles a golf club with a narrow, L-shaped piece of steel where the club head would be.

In a related matter, Morris firefighters vowed to continue the annual roundup despite the anticipated implementation of restrictive hunting guidelines next year by the state's Fish and Boat Commission, whose dominion includes reptiles.

Rules expected to take effect next year would impose a $25 hunting-permit fee on rattlesnake hunters, allow the capture of only male snakes and limit hunters to rattlers at least 42 inches long. The current permit fee is $5, and there are no size or sex restrictions.

The Morris Township Volunteer Fire Department sponsors the hunt, which is one of its most-important fundraisers. After a successful weekend, firefighters said they would continue the event despite new regulations.

"There will always be a Morris Rattlesnake Roundup," Kreger said. "We will never quit, even if we have to use rubber snakes."

Hoping for a speedy recovery for Ben. I don't think I can stomach Charlie Batch for a whole season.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
BurlyShirley said:
As I said, all of it came in the 2nd half, and the Bears were w/ out a corner and 2 safeties. Go ahead and rest on those laurels:)
Your memories are sure fuzzy.

13 of 20 for 227 and 1 TD before halftime.

But hey whatever rationalization makes that loss easier to swallow.....:rofl:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DRB said:
Your memories are sure fuzzy.

13 of 20 for 227 and 1 TD before halftime.

But hey whatever rationalization makes that loss easier to swallow.....:rofl:
Actually I was talking about Rex's numbers, fella. Good try tho. Remember how a HEALTHY defense DISMANTLED your team? Yeah, expect that again. :clue: :)

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
Mike B. said:
<snip>"There will always be a Morris Rattlesnake Roundup," Kreger said. "We will never quit, even if we have to use rubber snakes."
This is all the evidence needed that these people are clearly so drunk that they handle snakes needlessly. It's always needless in my opinion, but this is nuts. They should not waste antivenom on them. :help:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Snake roundups are retarded, but whatever. If there's sound species management involved, let people do what they want.....so long as they have their OWN insurance.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
BurlyShirley said:
Actually I was talking about Rex's numbers, fella. Good try tho. Remember how a HEALTHY defense DISMANTLED your team? Yeah, expect that again. :clue: :)
I'll take my chances if 13 - 3, with a receiver torching that awesome secondary of yours for 169, is your definition of dismantled.:)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DRB said:
I'll take my chances if 13 - 3, with a receiver torching that awesome secondary of yours for 169, is your definition of dismantled.:)
If piling up #'s in junk time and failing to reach the end zone is your definition of "torching", then yeah, dismantled is a good term.:rofl:

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
DRB said:
No he is not like chuck norris. He was the quarterback of the super bowl winning team. Riding a motorcycle is questionable enough but riding one without a helmet is about the dumbest thing for someone like him.
Edit the bold words to say for everyone

P.S. All the PA people out there...I've driven through PA once or twice and it seemed like the road safety there was taken to a very high level...lots of road signs, waaayyyy too much warning about construction zones (signs every 1/4 mile for it seemed 3+ miles ahead of the zone), etc. Why did the state repeal the helmet law? Seems to be out of sync with the whole safety first campaign.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Echo said:
In Pittsburgh EVERYONE knows who he is. By not wearing a helmet, basically EVERYONE will recognize him, and the brungemans get all giddy and delerious and completely forget they are driving a car. Makes it even more dangerous.
Hey now that aint fair:) ... I ride myself, never without a helmet, and although I have seen Ben around town on his bike without a helmet, I don't get starstruck, I have met Ben, but I personally know Charlie Batch, and have ridden with him before (he doesn't ride without a helmet either). I met Charlie through a friend who did his rehab when he hurt his knee in Detroit.

the intersection that the accident happened at, is a goofy one. the 62 Y.O. lady made the left right infront of Ben as he was trying to go through the intersection he had the right of way. But the intersction is halfway under an underpass and there are some strange shadows that occur! As I have said, I have seen Ben around, and he is a careful rider, just stupid to be riding without a helmet! accidents happen, be prepared!:cool:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Polandspring88 said:
We can just refer to him as Young Frankenstein now.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
i just saw on ESPN that Big Ben didnt have a motorcycle license...anybody else hear this?