Quantcast

Avid Steel Braided brake lines

ezl_oo

Chimp
Jun 11, 2009
West New York, NJ
I have some Avid Juicy Carbon brakes but want more stopping power without going all out on $ and buying new brakes (I will be getting a new braking system next season).

So, I stopped by my lbs to check out some steel braided brake lines and some new brake pads for both my front and rear brake. I'm not to sure which was the brake line but it was in his catalog and it said it was for avid brakes. I been hearing of only Goodridge brake lines so I wanted to know if anyone has heard of these brake lines and if they are any good? He is charging me $150 for new front and rear brake pads, front and rear steel braided lines, and the labor do you guys think this is a good deal?

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Price seems about right. Figure 50$ for pads, 50$ for the goodridge lines and bill out about an hour for the average tech.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Don't you mean more modulation, less mush? Solid lever feel makes a brake much easier to modulate imho.
Well, it depends on how your looking at it, Your overall max power doesnt change. You still get the same Master piston to slave piston ratio reguardless of the line, the stock lines will only expand sooo far, so you still max out the pressure. If you eliminate it too much, youll end up with stiffer brakes, that can become an on off feeling... which would be less modulation. Same time, it makes the brakes "feel" like they have more power, because most think that a shorter lever pull for the same amount of power, means more power, which it does not. It means you reduced your modulation a touch, stiffening your brakes.

Least tahts how I have always understood it.