Quantcast

Avid Code R 2011 issue

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
anyone using these brakes having any issues??

my front brake is perfect. my rear brake however seems to have a problem with the master cylinder( i think)...

none of my pistons are sticky and everything in the caliper is fine...

when i pull the lever the first 1/3rd of the lever travel doesn't push any fluid, pistons, and obviously pads. it also has a lighter feel to it in that early stage of the lever throw...it's not spongy, and it was bled correctly....anyone else have similar issues??

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
That sounds like it actually isn't bled correctly. Avid brakes can be challenging to bleed properly. I would try bleeding again with the master cylinder held vertically and at the high point. That's what I had to do to get a good bleed on my new XO's.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
That sounds like it actually isn't bled correctly. Avid brakes can be challenging to bleed properly. I would try bleeding again with the master cylinder held vertically and at the high point. That's what I had to do to get a good bleed on my new XO's.
it's definitely bled correctly....the lever has a very two staged feel...the first third has almost not spring or fluid resistance, but the levers are brand new, so it shouldn't be slop in the pivot or pushrod...weird

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
The thing with a proper bleed is they can still feel terrible if you look at the release on the 2012 stuff they explain it there are places where bubbles can get trapped and be impossible to get out.

Also how old is the bleed avids (and DOT fluid in general) can go gooey if its left too long then the brakes will feel terrible I had this problem with my codes and a few juicys out of the box. makes the levers have a big dead spot and sometimes they'll work in the last bit of stroke and sometimes they just seize up at the end of the stroke and the lever blade just flops around.

Lastly if you are convinced that your bleed is perfect and nothing could have possibly gone the slightest bit wrong... Do a master cylinder rebuild or send them in for a warranty.