Quantcast

avalanche spring....

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
the more time i spend on the avalanche, the more i love it... she s been on the bike for a few months now and the performance gains over the ole' van RC just blow me away... i do have one gripe tho'.. the paint on the shock is TERRBILE... mine has lost loads of paint, it looks pretty crappy... sure, this doesn t effect the performance but i must say that i m a little dissapointed... i m runnin the standard steel spring...

anyone else notice that the paint on theit avy spring just falls off ??

might send it to get powder-coated this winter

cheers

partsbara

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Brian HCM#1 said:
Never had a problem with that, but the best fix is go with a Ti spring, its an amazing way to drop 1/2 a pound.
you are a snob ;)

hey parts, maybe go to a german powder coater with the spring and get it repainted. shouldnt be to expensive and quality of the paintjobs here is way better then everything i have seen on american or taiwan bikes and parts so far.

may i suggest http://www.brandes-speckesser.de/

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
UiUiUiUi said:
you are a snob ;)

hey parts, maybe go to a german powder coater with the spring and get it repainted. shouldnt be to expensive and quality of the paintjobs here is way better then everything i have seen on american or taiwan bikes and parts so far.

may i suggest http://www.brandes-speckesser.de/
thanks mate... sounds like the go...

winterberg was good, savage mudfest, but good... lookin forward to this weekend... austrian alps - BRING IT ON :)

cheers

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
partsbara said:
thanks mate... sounds like the go...

winterberg was good, savage mudfest, but good... lookin forward to this weekend... austrian alps - BRING IT ON :)

cheers
hehe should be cool leogang and saalbach are waiting.
hopefully thew new small dual slalom in saalbach will be open until then, and from what i have seen leogang also has some new features this year.

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
partsbara said:
so, does anyone else have an avy spring that is missing more paint than it has remaining... ??
mine's missing a little paint, but it's nothing too bad -- a few wear and tear marks on the sides of the springs. perhaps the paint got contaminated before it got put on the spring? who knows. is it coming off in big chunks of paint, or is just wearing away?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
if you are going to powdercoat it again, do a little research first and check if the temperature they cure the powder in (usually around 175ºc) wont do anything to the mechanical properties of the spring.

i have heard both that it wont affect and that it will affect the spring (i think it was someone from romic postin the latter here).

hope you dont think this is a plot against you.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Mumbles said:
mine's missing a little paint, but it's nothing too bad -- a few wear and tear marks on the sides of the springs. perhaps the paint got contaminated before it got put on the spring? who knows. is it coming off in big chunks of paint, or is just wearing away?

yeah, it comin off in fairly big chunks... some the size of a dime... most about half the size of a dime...

something is up here :confused:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i have a used avy and its steel spring has no problems with the paint.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
I had to go through Romic for an 800lb spring for the Avi. Went to hell in no time. There's almost no paint left and the whole thing is rusting away.
I'm pretty choked.
Then again it was for my Super8, which is cracked and collecting dust, so the whole thing was a huge waste of money.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
here s a sample of the damage... :(... it s definately getting worse... think i musta got a dodgy spray job... the shock still rules tho' :)

partsbara

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Maybe you shouldn't clean your bike with Victoria Bitter anymore.

My spring is just fine after about a year and a half.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Dont take that 8 inches in the rear thing literally next time and the paint will last a bit longer you sick bastard.