Quantcast

Avalanche modded swinger 4 way or Fox Van RC

Speed

Chimp
Aug 19, 2009
Seattle
I have a blown manitou swinger 4 way that I can get modded for $179, or I can get a 2011 fox van RC basically new for the same price.

Which would you do? I like the fact that the manitou is custom, but only has rebound adjustment. The van RC is nice because it has low speed adjustment, but it's stock fox.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Between a dhx and van id take the van.... between the van and maniavy its hard. The custom tune is nice I started playing with it a bit and wish I had adjustments on compression. Mainly because I lime to fiddle with stuff. It feels great and the just ride it setup is simple.....

From a tinkering standpoint id have done a 6way so I would have adjustments on comp. From a realisticstandpoint the simplicity and quality are more than enough by a long shot...

Haven't ridden the van but apparently its pretty solid. I don't like dhx at all... rode a few and not a fan.....

Speed

Chimp
Aug 19, 2009
Seattle
From a tinkering standpoint id have done a 6way so I would have adjustments on comp. From a realisticstandpoint the simplicity and quality are more than enough by a long shot...
Thanks BC! No go on the 6th way in the size I need. Too bad.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thanks BC! No go on the 6th way in the size I need. Too bad.
I was looking for the last couple.days as well lol....

The 4 way is fine there's way too much adjusting constantly going on so its nice to jump on and not have to think just ride....it feels amazing though and rebound really is the only dual I need on.
Between the van and manitou you can't really go wrong the manitou will be fully speed sensative and parts replaced and nodded with a custom tune which is nice....

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
I would and I am going with a Avalanche tune on my Roco RC WC as just having the custom tune will make it so you need to play with the shock a lot less.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got a solid long night ride tonight full speed with lights blazing 20 dhrs all going at it... The manitou ROCKED.... It felt like a mini version of my woodie... Tracked and ripped it up...

The totem DH damper is another story I am not happy at all, I will be gutting the Totem tomorrow and putting the avalanche cart in.... Not impressed at all with the rockshox DH damper....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bullcrew, is it a 4 way or a 6 way you are using?
4 way and after last nights ride I dont need to play with more dials.... The little SOB felt like my woodie or close to, absolutely ripped it up at high speed... Took the session out for its inagural run and that rear end stayed glued...... NO need for more dials its spot on........
(HATED the totem DH damper, swapped the avy cart in tonight)

Last edited:

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
4 way and after last nights ride I dont need to play with more dials.... The little SOB felt like my woodie or close to, absolutely ripped it up at high speed... Took the session out for its inagural run and that rear end stayed glued...... NO need for more dials its spot on........
(HATED the totem DH damper, swapped the avy cart in tonight)

What is wrong with the DH dampner? I hear it was suppose to feel similar to the Boxxer versions. Input please!:)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Stock DH rockshox damper:
It felt real sluggish even with the comp and reb wide open to start then I went half way on both and adjusted from there. Got it close but it didnt track well for me... I played with the dials because I was getting pretty irritated by the feel... It was great for bigger stuff lacked small bump and chatter bumps sucked worse. It was chattering all over on the jagged rocks in the corners and rolling out on me, the bigger stuff it was fine it actually cornered well and stuck that part well but the rest sucked at speed.

My avy carts match the rear shocks like a suit and track amazing, my fox 36 matches the avalanche rear shocks like a dream the totem and the avy rear just didnt get along well at all...

Slapped the avy cart in the totem tonight and now its suited to the rear, took it out and did some railing on it and yeah its a good fit...

My fox 36 180 van matched up great it has a good range and does it all well, it tracks like a razor and chatter isnt squat it mows through it... For a stock fork the fox is bad@$$, If it wasnt it would be getting a avy cart shoved down its throat....Its good enough i will leave it alone, the boxxer was a huge difference with the avy cart and sick.... The totem is even better IMO with the Avy cart... I relied on laying into the rear tire almost manualing corners and weight back to compensate for a scattery front end last night..... I was on hte front end at first but it was kicking out and my eyes were getting pretty blurred as well as my hands were getting pretty hammered in the rough, cramping...

The rockshox DH damper Im sure is a good unit and fits alot of stuff it was just not playing nice.... It would be great for big hits and rocks (bigger variety than chatter) as well as bermed corners..

Last edited:

Speed

Chimp
Aug 19, 2009
Seattle
Bullcrew - How have you got your rebound set up on the mani-avi?

I finally got a good ride on mine last night and overall it was amazing. Felt super plush and smooth yet pedaled really well. Felt very racy.

I'm fighting with the rebound though. In Craig's documentation he says to start with the rebound 1.75 turn out from full hard (I assume that means full slow). I tried it there and the rebound felt to fast, so I went even slower which didn't seem to change the rebound much, but made it the shock feel a little harsh. I felt like I couldn't get the rebound slow enough to keep me in control and the slower I set the rebound the worse the shock felt.

Also how many clicks of rebound does your have? Mine seems to have about 30 that actually click, but I can keep turning it forever and it never stops.

It was actually comical, but I was bouncing off all kinds of things last night, I'd hit a tree, turn and run into a rock, bounce off that and then slam straight into a root. Impossible to tell if i was just having a bad night or not, but I felt like I was fighting the suspension. I'm also breaking in a new fork (first ride on it last night too) so there are a lot of things going on with the bike and it's hard to isolate what was giving me problems.

Thanks for the help!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The manitou is goofy as far as how little it takes to make a difference ....mine doesn't click the detent is hammered so I bounce and see what the rebound does then adjust from there. I grabbed another manitou this one has a shorter body but same stroke for the session 77 so it will lower my bb by an inch and slack the ha a smidge ..... love the shock.... for no comp dials its right on... the rebound just play with it a little, my shock has been hammered in it's past life which is ok because my setting is off feel....

Btw too much rebound and the shock will pack up and act harsh. The compression is smooth and consistent, I jump and slam down on the earle I start off by wanting the bike to compress and go back up but barely come back down again.... then I ride and adjust from.there... I don't want to logo but I don't want the rear to not drop out for the next hit. either. I have always started there and dialed it in from that point...

Last edited: