Quantcast

Avalanche DHS air or nitrogen at what pressure?

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
As title I have just serviced my avalanche DHS shock which is actually very easy.
The only problem I'm having is with using nitrogen or just air with a shock pump.

Now I know air was an issue on steel body shocks due to moisture and corrosion , and the main fact that when the shock gets hot it expands.
But this is alloy bodied and has a bladder in the chamber.
Surely on a downhill bike which is my 2004 balfa BB7 , they do not get anywhere near as hot like on
A MX motor bike.
Also pressure wise I heard that you should not put any less than 250psi.
If anybody could help me regarding this it would be great.
As I will take it too the motorbike ship next week and have it charged.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Craig Seekins is a member on here he is the man from AVY, you could shoot him a message or an email.

I'm sure he wrote something along the lines of there is no real difference between air and nitrogen but it is easier for shops to get the pressure right when using nitrogen from a tank.
I know zip about servicing shocks.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Craig Seekins is a member on here he is the man from AVY, you could shoot him a message or an email.

I'm sure he wrote something along the lines of there is no real difference between air and nitrogen but it is easier for shops to get the pressure right when using nitrogen from a tank.
I know zip about servicing shocks.
Yeah they are pretty easy to service , I only stripped it so I can add a 5mm spacer to reduce it to 222mm from 227mm to fit my BB7.
I did contact Craig through email and Facebook with no reply , so I though asking here would get me answers as google just refers to motorbike shocks.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Call him. Craig is a busy guy, he is best contacted over a phone. Leave him a voice mail and he will call you back shortly.

I have a DHX 5 with AVY SSD. We discussed the charge (mine was empty when I sent it to him for a regular service), he fills it with N2, but he said the volume is so small you may not measure it shock pump or a regular pressure meter. Instead, without a spring, press it against a body scale and it should register around 40 pounds when slowly compressing. He said that's how they measure the pressure in the chamber, too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought it was 180 and nitro is ideal for temperature sensitivity and longevity, but I'd rather run the correct pressure than low nitrogen. Craig will get back to you, it's probably just the weekend.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
I thought it was 180 and nitro is ideal for temperature sensitivity and longevity, but I'd rather run the correct pressure than low nitrogen. Craig will get back to you, it's probably just the weekend.

Thanks for the advice , so you would suggest nitrogen then? Also I contacted Craig about 5 weeks ago and then again 2 weeks ago.
Also I bought rock oil as I also asked about oil and could not wait any longer. , but it does say you can use it for shocks and forks , I used 7.5wt as I'm a 18 stone fat person , all muscle LOL! We that's my excuse anyway:)

Oct 14, 2001
Colchester, Ct
Thanks for the advice , so you would suggest nitrogen then? Also I contacted Craig about 5 weeks ago and then again 2 weeks ago.
Also I bought rock oil as I also asked about oil and could not wait any longer. , but it does say you can use it for shocks and forks , I used 7.5wt as I'm a 18 stone fat person , all muscle LOL! We that's my excuse anyway:)
The nitrogen pressure depends on the valving, firmer valving requires a higher pressures, assuming your shock has not been revalve we would recommend 225 psi. You need to use a good rear shock fluid, approx 3.5 to 5 wt works best. Sorry about the e-mails not being answered, we generally answer mails with 24 hours, what is your e-mail address we will add it to our safe sender list, yours must not coming through.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
The nitrogen pressure depends on the valving, firmer valving requires a higher pressures, assuming your shock has not been revalve we would recommend 225 psi. You need to use a good rear shock fluid, approx 3.5 to 5 wt works best. Sorry about the e-mails not being answered, we generally answer mails with 24 hours, what is your e-mail address we will add it to our safe sender list, yours must not coming through.
Thanks for the advice Craig. , yeah I don't like to pester and nag people you see as I just assumed you are very busy.
So you advice only nitrogen , and fluid wise? Finish line , silkolene?
I'm based in UK so I'm limited to fluids , I tried base arching for golden spectro for my MTN-8 and DHF but no look and rock oil seems to be good.
Can I call you on the phone and pay for parts with my credit card?