Quantcast

Avalanche Chubie

Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hey fellas,

Anyone have any experience with this shock going on a 2004 Turner 5-Spot? I know theres been plently of talks about Elka as well, can anyone provide any guidance for an aggressive all mountain xc rider? Much appreciated.

dest

Monkey
Aug 1, 2006
NYCity
i have plenty of experience on the avy chubie it was on my sunday for like 2 seasons now its on my V10 for a whole season it works great..one of the best downhill shocks in my opinion. but i have never tried it on a bike thats soppose to be peddeled everywhere or a turner 5 spot wouldn't you be better off with a shock that has a pedding platform??? i have seen alot of guys out there riding 5 spots with avys hopefully one of them chime in..

Lucky7

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
Chicago
I have an Avy Chubie on my Turner RFX and Ellsworth Id (in 5" mode) and the shock is incredible. It's very plush and sensitive without burying itself deep in its travel. One of the best things about the shock is that Craig custom tunes it to your bike, weight and riding style. Be honest with him and he'll send it set up almost perfectly dialed (I think I turned the rebound speed one or two clicks only). The only other thing I can say is that you have to make sure your spring is the right weight to get the most out of the shock and tune so discuss what you're planning on using so it will be valved correctly. Hope this helps.

Bryan

Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I was debating between the avy chubie and an elka stage 5, however I just got word from their rep that the elka won't be compatible with my 5 spot. Bummer really, the price point was attractive as well...

Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have an Avy Chubie on my Turner RFX and Ellsworth Id (in 5" mode) and the shock is incredible. It's very plush and sensitive without burying itself deep in its travel. One of the best things about the shock is that Craig custom tunes it to your bike, weight and riding style. Be honest with him and he'll send it set up almost perfectly dialed (I think I turned the rebound speed one or two clicks only). The only other thing I can say is that you have to make sure your spring is the right weight to get the most out of the shock and tune so discuss what you're planning on using so it will be valved correctly. Hope this helps.

Bryan
Bryan,

I currently have the stock romic on my 5-spot. Can you tell me if there was a noticeable ride quality difference between your avy and romic (assuming that was the stock shock on either of your rides)?

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
I was debating between the avy chubie and an elka stage 5, however I just got word from their rep that the elka won't be compatible with my 5 spot. Bummer really, the price point was attractive as well...
Why no Elka on the 5Spot? does the reservoir hit the downtube?

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Elka will be making a remote reservoir version. I was told it will be available sometime this winter.

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
As long as it has the High/Low adjuster you should be able to set it up great for pedaling as well as the descents.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
I rode the Chubbie on my 5 spot for several seasons & then transferred it to my rfx which I setup with 5.5" and found it to be an incredible shock for that bike. Definitely get the hi/lo compression option.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I rode the Chubbie on my 5 spot for several seasons & then transferred it to my rfx which I setup with 5.5" and found it to be an incredible shock for that bike. Definitely get the hi/lo compression option.

Very nice jncarpenter.

What spring rate are you running on that bike? Are you considering getting a ti spring?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Bryan,

I currently have the stock romic on my 5-spot. Can you tell me if there was a noticeable ride quality difference between your avy and romic (assuming that was the stock shock on either of your rides)?

I have found the Romic is the closest to the AVY. Ive ridden Fox DHX, Roco, Romic, Avy, Sratos, Shock X, Curnutt, etc

You might have the Romic rebuilt or just get the AVY.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I have ridden a Romic, Avy DHS, and DHX Air on my RFX. Of the three I probably liked the Avy the least. It felt overdamped and even with the rebound full open it didn't rebound fast enough for my liking. Resulted in a "dead" feeling in the rear end of the bike. It felt completely different though when downhilling and freeriding. It came alive with speed and the increased damping lead to a very controlled stroke across rough terrain.

I actually liked the Romic quite a bit, it was in my recollection fairly lively. No complaints really.

My favorite thus far for aggressive trail riding has been the DHX Air. Very lively and it promotes a more active style of riding. Damping feels overwhelmed when doing high speed rock gardens but in reality sections like those are rare in my rides. Adjustability is a big plus.

Not sure how much different the ride of the DHS is from the Chubie, but for primarily trail riding I would shy away from the Avalanche. If the 5spot is also your mini-DH, shuttle, DH, freeride, hucking, chundergnar bicycle, the Avy would be a great fit.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
From what I recall, nobody ever complained about the performance of the romic...it was just that they exploded all the time.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
From what I recall, nobody ever complained about the performance of the romic...it was just that they exploded all the time.
That's it in a nutshell for Romic. The OMG valving as they called it was very nice. If they could have kept them from barfing oil so often maybe they could have hung around longer. That, and if Darren stayed with the company too, LOL.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, compared to the vanilla RCs and 5th elements of the days it definitely didn't suck performance-wise. I think once the DHX came out a new standard was set that allowed for more adjustability. Now the bar is raised again with manufacturers like Fox, Elka and Cane Creek offering stuff that was previously only available from much smaller companies like Avalanche. I broke my romic 3x though, and I actually got into a grove of "3-rides till failure), the last time it broke into 3 seperate pieces. The Romic guys were less than honest about why it (and many others) failed.