Quantcast

Australian Monkeys....Illinbah WC 2010.

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
Ok...Maybe too far.

But, I read in CRCintense website, there is a bid for a World Cup racing in Illinbah, Australia in 2010. Is it true ? Or just rumors ?

I just saw some videos of the 2nd round of AUS National one month ago, and course looks really good, 3:30 min. long, technical and fast sections.

Another report, Rennie says, Illinbah has potential to have a WC there.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Damn you! Had my hopes up...

In my opinion Illinbah's track would make for one helluva WC course. I'd consider it to be far better than Stromlo in many, many ways.

However, it's real weakness is the lack of infrastructure around the area. Unlike Stromlo, Illinbah is 35 - 40 minutes from major hotels and cities. The shuttle road is also too narrow for safe passing in a lot of spots so traffic might cause some issues.

That aside - I'd be f*ckin stoked to see the World's best take on a track that is more representative of the normal Australian tracks than Stromlo. Epecially if it rains and they have to hit the rainforest in the wet... mwahahahahhaha

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
No offence to the ppl that put all the work into Stromlo, but I think there are a lot of venues and tracks that are better suited to the WC.
However, my guess (as president of Toowoomba club and seeing the work involved for state rounds) is that nobody else in Aus has the resources to pull of a WC.
Shame really, Buller or even thredbo would be ideal, chairlift etc.
Illinbah is a great track, but no real room for facilities from memory?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah... not a chance. If you were at the Illinbah nationals round you know how much transport sucked - people were managing six runs over three days. You don't even have to worry about infrastructure when you have to wait an hour or more to get a run in.

Kenilworth is by far the best organized and shuttled event I have seen in QLD and the venue matches or beats Illinbah IMO, it has far less pedalling and a fair bit more loss of elevation. So for a QLD track that would be my choice, at the last event the shuttles were lift-like as they used a circuit for the cars rather than one road for both directions.

But realistically, somewhere like Mt. Buller would be the best place to have one.. it has the infrastructure, the track (ie. not Stromlo), and its only issue is being a little far from a major city. Surely in that regard it's still comparable to some other venues on the calendar anyway.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Its a shame Stromlo was chosen simply for it's parking area.

I can kinda guess how you Aussies feel, being given the chance to show the world what Australia is capable of and then having Stromlo handed to you.

Kinda like Holden putting the Astra out there as their flagship car.

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
But realistically, somewhere like Mt. Buller would be the best place to have one.. it has the infrastructure, the track (ie. not Stromlo), and its only issue is being a little far from a major city. Surely in that regard it's still comparable to some other venues on the calendar anyway.
The orientation of the current Mt Buller trails with the lift's doesn't really work though.. pits at the top of the track with no-one at the bottom... I don't think buller can ever have an ideal DH mtb setup, just because of where the lifts are and the shape of the hill.

stringbean

Chimp
Aug 30, 2008
Apperently the fella that lives up the top is having a golf course resort built in the next couple of years, and thus would require a two lane road to the top of the hill. if this happened transport would not be a issue at all.
but having said this, the same man is also trying to get the illinbah track closed down, so its a kinda double edge sword.

but even if transport was fixed, the room for facilities would need to be somehow improved before hosting a world cup round could even be considered.
Also one of the best tracks in Aus, ****s all over Stromlo.

Apr 8, 2003
kangaroo land.
The only major problem with a WC event at buller is that it's covered in snow the entire WC season.
So unless they arrange an OZ summer WC event you can pretty much forget it.

Considering it's supposed to be a "world cup", i think a southern hemisphere summer event(s) should be considered, that would certainly increase the track options in australia and new zealand, not to mention other alpine contenders in the southern hemisphere.

Re: illinbah, i was under the impression they have previously applied and were rejected to host a WC event because of lack of infastructure, accomodation and a lack of financial support from the local council. i believe the pres of GCMTB club put words to that effect on farkin.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
BAH.... i'm trying to save up to get to worlds THIS YEAR... that'll probably eat my Aus travel budget for the next decade! ...maybe i can stay out there til the WC ;-) haha

regardless, still stoked to see other areas of Aus trying to bring in a WC! good luck w/ it!

stringbean

Chimp
Aug 30, 2008
Re: illinbah, i was under the impression they have previously applied and were rejected to host a WC event because of lack of infastructure, accomodation and a lack of financial support from the local council. i believe the pres of GCMTB club put words to that effect on farkin.
ye i know, wount be going ahed in 2010, maby sometime a bit further down the track when the government wants to throw more money at it it might be a possibility.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/52177/
also, i know its from pinkbike but i thought i'd throw this vid up, check kovaricks interview at the end. oh ye, the track was wet, some people reckon Aus wet is different to Euro wet, but watever, it was slipery.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
BAH.... i'm trying to save up to get to worlds THIS YEAR... that'll probably eat my Aus travel budget for the next decade! ...maybe i can stay out there til the WC ;-) haha

regardless, still stoked to see other areas of Aus trying to bring in a WC! good luck w/ it!
Toowoomba is where it's at mate. :cheers:

The World cup at Stromlo should be ok still. I would be interested to here what other riders from the WC circuit thought of it. That 224 lovin Dirt mag writer certainly didn't rate it. I just wonder if we are being a bit harsh on ourselves?

Apr 8, 2003
kangaroo land.
I guess another option would be to propose a wc event at a suitable location under the guise of MTBA, instead of a specific club.
The local club who's track is being used could be part of a commitee of clubs around the country, and use the knowledge and experience of various clubs to put on the event, in the name of australian mountain biking.
Select a list of locations with the necessary basic surrounding infastructure, then arrange a ballot to choose a venue to bid with.

Naturally a few ego's would have to take a back seat and a few noses may get out of joint but if thats what it takes ...so be it.

The event could be funded through a slight increase in mtba membership fee's, gate takings , even appling for government grants to help fund the event. i'm sure tourism australia would be keen to promote the event.

Yes i can see the problems that may arise(mainly the ego's and the bitching), but that's one way i can see an event succeed in the areas with the right terrain but limited membership, experience and finance.