Quantcast

Audio monkeys... Earbuds?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, for the audio monkeys on the board, I just got an MP3 player for Christmas - an iRiver T30. The earbuds that came with it have very good sound but my ears are apparently different shapes. The right ear bud fits perfectly, and the one on the left just doesn't fit in like it should. Consequently, I have to turn the sound up pretty loud to keep the left ear sounding like it should.

Does anyone have suggestions for good ear buds? I would be especially interested in adjustable sizes. I'm open to either type - the kind that rests in your ears and the kind that fits inside your ears. I've looked at the Shure E3c's, but I'm not sure I want to lay out that kind of cash for earphones that will be stuffed in my pocket.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
fwiw, i tried a set of Etymotic ER6 (not ER6i) canalphones and ended up returning them. then again, my point of reference is my "big" setup: a headroom total airhead headphone amp laced up to senn hd600 cans.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, the E3c's can be had for ~$85 and I was hesitant to spend that kind of money. I'd like to spend less than $50 since these are items that will be stuffed in my pocket, thrown on a desk, etc.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Sony MDR EX51s or 71s can be had for less than $50. i think the sound is pretty decent given the price. not as 'pure' as my Grados, but still good.

i can't justify spending more than that simply because i don't rip any higher than 192.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
the Inbred said:
Sony MDR EX51s or 71s can be had for less than $50. i think the sound is pretty decent given the price.
I linked to the EX71s & 81s. :)

I'll be getting one or the other. I'd like to know how the 71s (or that style in general) stay in your ear while riding, running, etc. or if I should go with an "over the ear" style like the 81s? Althoguh, I wear glasses so an "over the ear" style may not work...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I had the same problem with the generic ones that came with my player. One ear was fine, but the other was getting rubbed raw rreadjusting the thing everytime it loosened. SO, I got some good Philips earbuds that stick into your rear, rather than just hook on it. They were 25 bucks. They stay in very well... that is untill i snag the chord...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
McGRP01 said:

I got the second pair and like them. They hacve three different size seals, and because they stop a lot of the outside noise you don't normally turn them up as high as other earbuds. Check out buy.com, they usually have good prices on them.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Reactor said:
I got the second pair and like them. They hacve three different size seals, and because they stop a lot of the outside noise you don't normally turn them up as high as other earbuds. Check out buy.com, they usually have good prices on them.
Thanks! :thumb:

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
I've had both the Sony earbuds as well as the Shure 3's. At first, the reason I went with the Shure earbud was because I was SICK of losing the frikken silicon buds on the Sony's only to replace them for over $10 a pop!! Once I got them though, the sound quality of the Shure 3's were noticeably better than the Sony's.

The cord on the Shure is MUCH beefier as well. This may be a consideration for riding, etc.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
Well, the E3c's can be had for ~$85 and I was hesitant to spend that kind of money. I'd like to spend less than $50 since these are items that will be stuffed in my pocket, thrown on a desk, etc.
where can you get the E3s for that price? that was less than the E2s cost me, and i shopped around pretty good.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
where can you get the E3s for that price? that was less than the E2s cost me, and i shopped around pretty good.
Eh, I think I meant the E2's. There's a set that pops up on bensbargains.net every couple months for $85 and seems to get great reviews.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
they are good to great. two small cons i have w/ them:

for decent durations, they start to hurt my ear. i think it's a function of the shape of my ear more than anything else. also, i wear 'em when i run, but sometimes sweat can drip down and into the ear, breaking the seal of the earbud. it's a pain to dry the bud off and try to get it to seal well again.

sound quality is very good though, and the isolation works pretty well too.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
is there a real difference between the EX71s and EX81s? i know the 51s and 71s are the same except the cord, but i don't know about the 81s.

my 51s stay in my ear, despite dropping my Nano. i don't know about running or cycling, though.

and rumor has it that new Sony buds are coming with a different, higher quality material covering the wires. i've haven't had a problem with the 2 pairs of 51s i've had, though, other than a cat chewing through the left bud cord.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Toshi said:
fwiw, i tried a set of Etymotic ER6 (not ER6i) canalphones and ended up returning them. then again, my point of reference is my "big" setup: a headroom total airhead headphone amp laced up to senn hd600 cans.
Just curious...what didn't you like about them?

I've been using the ER-4P's for a few years now and they're better than anything I've heard. FWIW, I've never put a set of nice, big cans on my head (that played audio) so I don't have a point of reference other than the crap that came with my iPod and every other personal player I've had for the past 20 years.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The Shure's are nice, but my ears hurt for long durations as well. Still, they are great on planes. You can't hear a damn thing, especially not the kid crying two seats over.

The Sony's I didn't like. The cord is really thing on those, and they fell apart way too fast for what they cost. Not any more comfortable than the Shure's either.

The Apple in ear ones are the only ones I can sleep with. They don't sound that great though.

edit: Sennheiser makes some nice in the ear ones too. CX-300. They sound better than the Apple ones, not as good as the Shure's, but are very comfy in my ears.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
bump

i am in the market.

which reduce wind noise the best?
stay in the ears for dirt jumping road riding.

under $60.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
bump and on an unrelated note...

I'm looking for some full, entire ear covering headphones for work use while I'm at the computer. They need not be noise canceling, but it wouldn't hurt. (my boss talks to himself a lot and listens to his music through speakers and he hasn't the best of taste). Oh, and I'd rather not spend $150 or so for the Bose.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
binary visions said:
I was given a pair of e3C's from Shure during a training. They are absolutely solid and I would gladly pay for a pair and will pay for a pair once these break. I have had them for about 10 months now and they have taken some major abuse.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
The E2c warrently appears to be used a lot. Mine suffered the same fate as these.
Probably best to avoid them if they are going to get beat up.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
mine didn't rot like that picture, just one of the channels stopped working completely. i had a new pair in about 3 days after shipment back to Shure.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
spincrazy said:
bump and on an unrelated note...

I'm looking for some full, entire ear covering headphones for work use while I'm at the computer. They need not be noise canceling, but it wouldn't hurt. (my boss talks to himself a lot and listens to his music through speakers and he hasn't the best of taste). Oh, and I'd rather not spend $150 or so for the Bose.
hmm, if you have to stick with a closed design i'd try to find the sony mdr-v6. $70ish, and much better than the similarly-named-yet-very-dissimilar mdr-v600.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
bcd said:
bump

i am in the market.

which reduce wind noise the best?
stay in the ears for dirt jumping road riding.

under $60.
sweat plus a good seal don't work together well. i can't even ride to work without the seal breaking between my Sony EX51s and my ear. noise is reduced, though. enough that i start singing while riding.